• Paid Members
8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Now, you see, in my constituency which was one of the most solid of the red wall, the youth vote wasn't the problem. 

The issue was people, several of them my friends, from 50-80 who were staunch Labour voters and remember or worked in industrial Rhos and Brymbo or Shotton who voted Conservative as Out Means Out and all that. 

The Youth vote in my area went massively Labour, to the extent that Plaid Cymru have had a huge influx of young members since Keir Starmer got in. And there a lot of anger about the selling of the water, and the end of coal and steel amongst local youth, far more than the middle aged. Almost to the point of romanticism.

"No one can afford a house without a trade, but trades are over subscribes but dad worked on steel, but steel/coal has gone so I'm fucked for life. Tory pricks" - if you get me. It's mine and the one below's generations "Thatcher took our milk". Although, when it comes to brass tacks it's the same as our father's and grandfather's "Thatcher took our jobs". I've never even so many smiles and handshakes as the party we had in the Oddfellows Arms when Thatcher carked it, and its a shame that so many of the men celebrating the cunt going to hell saw fit to vote Conservative. 

The Cofiwch Treweryn and Yes Cymru movements are huge amongst North Walian youth at the moment and there's large Facebook groups dedicated to it and people walking and spreading the word and there's posters and stickers and graffiti everywhere. Theres a real feeling of hope and a passion to fight. 

If it wasn't for the fucking Brexit vote the red wall would still exist.

And the saddest thing is that all those dyed in the wool Labour voters moved away to the tories to fuck off the EU, when the EU is a massive centre right Neo Liberal hole - essentially the Conservative party since Major to Cameron. And Labour should have attacked the last election from a Bennite point of view instead of making Corbyn pretend he was Denis Healey. "Listen lads, we've never liked the bastards anyway, here's our historic proof on the left. Blair did like them, but fuck him, we dislike him as much as you do". Moreover if Labour did take that tact and made it a Brexit vs Brexit vote against the Tories they wouldn't have lost out on votes as the Lib Dems are almost Jeremy Thorpe era levels of irrelevance now and people know that and would not waste their vote on them unless they live in the Shetland Isles or Cornwall. 

Labour's lack of understanding of their bread and butter ex trade unionist voters in the, let's say, more *ahem* old school *ahem* areas has fucked them forever. 

Now I'm happy with this all day, as there's now a thirst for Left Wing Nationalism in Wales (32% want independence according to latest polls which has pretty much come out of nowhere. The Welsh language areas of the West of Wales have always been so inclined as @garynysmon will attest to, but now its even hitting border areas like mine on the far east and its gaining huge momentum. Especially after realising that the Conservative MPs which were parachuted in for the last election are either absent or absolutely fucking useless) Scotland will have another referendum at some point, and Ireland will reunite as an independent nation in full in the next 25-30 years unless Westminster shit it and cause issues. 

England is fucked if you're left wing though. Absolutely fucked. 

I've not seen the actual breakdown, but I believe the same thing happened here. The younger end were massively in favour or Labour/Corbyn and the older end were the stereotypical "send the buggers back" and "Brexit means Brexit" lot(see the infamous Channel 4 news video). I think it was only the fact that many of them would rather die than vote blue in a General Election that Labour managed to hold(the saying round here is put a red rose on a broom stick and it would win). The Tories even redefined the wards to include a more affluent areas in the poorer ones to dilute the vote. It worked for one ward, who voted blue thanks to wealthy Penistone area being included the ward.

Pat makes a great post about the younger ones being massively removed from the devastation that the Tories caused many Northern "Working Class" towns(not ignoring those further south, but I don't know enough about them). I lived through the miner's strike(my first memory is of my dad taking me to a soup kitchen at a local theatre on Christmas day as they couldn't afford a christmas dinner), and I've seen first hand what they did to my town, so I have made sure my kids know exactly what happened, and will do the same for their kids too. I know many others that do round here too...

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been in the smaller of the two Tesco in Lincoln. Things were pretty much in stock apart from loo roll and pet food. Did see one guy at the till getting told by the checkout girl that he couldn't

People have lost any sense of good social etiquette. I nipped into my local Aldi the other day before lunch for a second bottle of whiskey and some scrote started shouting to get away from him.

Posted Images

So the Birmingham Lockdown begins on Tuesday (obviously) but from whats been said so far it seems that it comes down to - you can't have anyone round your house. Pubs, restaurants, shops, leisure centres, bingo halls, cinemas, saunas appear to be ok but you can't have your mom (that's how it's said / written in Birmingham) round for lunch. So my parents now can't pick up my kids from school on a Friday when both myself and wife are at work but if my kids could walk to walk to the closest pub then they could sit with them? Nice and clear. and "Birmingham" is a bit vague, is it anyone with a B postcode? obviously it'll all be clarified shortly and make perfect sense. 

I'm being sent a home testing kit to use (as part of an official study into the kinds of people who catch the virus), and it feels like I've landed a pre-order for a limited edition Sega Saturn Mini or something. Should I put it on eBay?

4 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

So the Birmingham Lockdown begins on Tuesday (obviously) but from whats been said so far it seems that it comes down to - you can't have anyone round your house. Pubs, restaurants, shops, leisure centres, bingo halls, cinemas, saunas appear to be ok but you can't have your mom (that's how it's said / written in Birmingham) round for lunch. So my parents now can't pick up my kids from school on a Friday when both myself and wife are at work but if my kids could walk to walk to the closest pub then they could sit with them? Nice and clear. and "Birmingham" is a bit vague, is it anyone with a B postcode? obviously it'll all be clarified shortly and make perfect sense. 

You can’t mix households mate that’s the main thing whether that be in the house , pub or restaurant . Your only supposed to stay in your household group . So I can go to the pub with my missus but not my mates . I’m in Sandwell . 

its mental to think last week the government were paying for my tea 3 nights a week , telling me to send my children back to school cause it’s safe , telling all office staff to stop working from home and get back in the office to help local towns and the economy, encouraging social activity. I know there’s social distancing in place but if your going out more with or without social distancing it’s going to spread more .

Now there telling me I can’t see anyone other then my wife and kid, but I can mix with people at work and mix with people when I drop my kid off . The whole thing is getting tiresome now 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, bono said:

Now there telling me I can’t see anyone other then my wife and kid, but I can mix with people at work and mix with people when I drop my kid off . The whole thing is getting tiresome now 

Exacerbated by the government having minimal authority and credibility after burning every last drop of it to protect Cummings.

Still, at least that tenner off Nando's hasn't been linked to the rise in cases...

Definitely the young people to blame.  All of them.

This government are an absolute joke 

Apparently, councils agreed to restrictions but the restrictions agreed were no meeting in homes or gardens . The hospitality sector was not included or never discussed. Matt hannock changed the statement without ever agreeing with the councils 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/fury-confusion-matt-hancock-appeared-18922013

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-birmingham-brink-lockdown-18895754

They are absolute clowns 

it’s been cleared up now that it is just homes and gardens u can’t mix , but u can legally mix with 6 people in a pub bar or restaurant. 

so what there saying is I can go on an all day session in a pub all day but going back to my house for drinks isn’t allowed . It’s mad 

Edited by bono

I was tested today cos one of my clients who I interviewed for 45 mins in a tiny office in court building on Monday was given a prison sentence on Wednesday, and his test when being lodged into prison came back positive. Hopefully I've not caught it off him. I was wearing my mask the entire time but he kept pulling his off to talk. Test wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, nose swab was slightly uncomfortable but not the brain scraping I was expecting. Hopefully test comes back negative as I had next week booked off and was going to go away to a coastal town for 2 nights just for a change of scenery. The thought instead of 14 days in isolation in my 2 room flat does not appeal to me in the slightest!

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Covid Marshalls. Definitely not just some idiot on a power trip who wants to get away with wearing their hi-viz to get away with some dodgy stuff 

FB_IMG_1599910546693.jpg

1. That's old - I seen that image back in the spring.

2. It's photoshopped. Look at the lettering on the hi-vis.

Not quite a Covid Marshall but a security guard pulled me up in my local supermarket as I was wearing a bandana. I said it was a face covering and he said it needed to be a mask. This was as I looked around and seen the walking braindead in the shop have them around their chins and not wear them properly. I didn't want to argue and he did offer me a mask so I complied. But ever since I've gone in I still wear a bandana but now with a mask underneath just hoping he's there again so I can zing him but to no avail so far.