I work in secondary education and I've just had to do a "return to work" risk assessment ahead of the new term starting next week. Your score results in a risk rating, with six possible categories ranging from "extreme" to "low" which you'd expect to give a range of different outcomes for people who fall under each category (low risk people being back as normal, and those at extreme risk working from home, something like that). But no, the outcomes are exactly the same for everyone - no matter what category you fall into, "this individual can return to work provided the control measures are implemented" (these amount to "wear PPE and keep your mask on inside the building"). The current plan is for the building to open as normal, with all staff back next week and all students following two weeks later, so I'm going from four months of shielding and a few weeks of "yeah you can go out but limit the amount of people you mix with" to suddenly "get back to work with 4000 people in a building with windows that don't open". It's daunting as fuck.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been in the smaller of the two Tesco in Lincoln. Things were pretty much in stock apart from loo roll and pet food. Did see one guy at the till getting told by the checkout girl that he couldn't

People have lost any sense of good social etiquette. I nipped into my local Aldi the other day before lunch for a second bottle of whiskey and some scrote started shouting to get away from him.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I work in secondary education and I've just had to do a "return to work" risk assessment ahead of the new term starting next week. Your score results in a risk rating, with six possible categories ranging from "extreme" to "low" which you'd expect to give a range of different outcomes for people who fall under each category (low risk people being back as normal, and those at extreme risk working from home, something like that). But no, the outcomes are exactly the same for everyone - no matter what category you fall into, "this individual can return to work provided the control measures are implemented" (these amount to "wear PPE and keep your mask on inside the building"). The current plan is for the building to open as normal, with all staff back next week and all students following two weeks later, so I'm going from four months of shielding and a few weeks of "yeah you can go out but limit the amount of people you mix with" to suddenly "get back to work with 4000 people in a building with windows that don't open". It's daunting as fuck.

Are the schools really just letting all the pupils back in one go? Thats madness if so, my house backs onto a secondary school (that i went to) and it has years 7 - 11 and years 12 and 13 for sixth form, dread to think how many people will be there in one go 

11 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Are the schools really just letting all the pupils back in one go? Thats madness if so, my house backs onto a secondary school (that i went to) and it has years 7 - 11 and years 12 and 13 for sixth form, dread to think how many people will be there in one go 

What's the alternative though? 

All Kids need to go back to school it cant just be say years 10-11 for who knows how long.

My daughters school is staggering returns for the 1st week

Think its something like Reception on Monday 7th, Years 1 and 2 on the Tuesday, years 3 and 4 on the Wednesday which is my Daughters day (year 4), years 5 and 6 On Thursday.

But after that they'll all be in at the same time, with the only adjustment being slightly different start times for each year in 5 min differences from 8.45-9.15 to ease congestion at the gates not that I think it will make much difference in that regard as you know the later starting kids will still all arrive at the same time as usual, especially if they get the bus etc or have siblings in the lower years starting 20 mins before.

I get primary schools all going back because of younger kids supposedly being at lower risk (although I'd still be wary if I was a member of staff in a primary school), but it seems mental for older kids to all be going back at once. I'm in a 16+ further education place with 3800 students and a few hundred members of staff, which likely puts it somewhere around the higher end of things that might be considered "risky".

I'm fully expecting absolute carnage. If anyone shows covid symptoms, they have to be immediately sent home with a test kit. But everyone gets coughs and sniffles during the first few weeks of the school year (the old "freshers flu" thing where people get sick after mixing with a ton of new people all at once) so countless people will be getting sent home one after the other for the first few weeks. It'll be mayhem. 

1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

I'm fully expecting absolute carnage. If anyone shows covid symptoms, they have to be immediately sent home with a test kit. But everyone gets coughs and sniffles during the first few weeks of the school year (the old "freshers flu" thing where people get sick after mixing with a ton of new people all at once) so countless people will be getting sent home one after the other for the first few weeks. It'll be mayhem. 

This is exactly what is happening in my kids Primary right now.

My son has a sniffle just now, so weve kept him off and ordered a kit. I know he hasnt got the virus, but cant send him in with people thinking he's ill. When you call up to report him being off, they ask about them being tested, perfectly understandable for the staff. This means weve also had to keep his brother and sister off too. From what I understand, theres a lot of others doing the same (Although I hear many have actually gone to a testing centre rather than ordered - In retrospect I should have done that).

Guidance/communication from the school hasnt been great, but whatever way its done the first few weeks will be like this.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Can you order extra tests preemptively and keep one handy? Or does it not work like that?

Im not sure for general use, but the website does now allow testing for non symptom people. As a care worker i have to get tested every two weeks regardless. The system uses a drop down menu i put in the details of my work and it offers me a test via post or drive though. Might be worth trying it and seeing what it does. 

EDIT

Just had a quick look, I clicked "other" as an option for wanting a test and it seems to allow up to 3 people to order one. I didnt go all the way though mind, but it does not seem to care if you tick no symptoms  

Edited by quote the raven

It is going to be madness come September. In our school each class is a bubble (30 kids and a teacher) these bubbles can mix within the year group but not with other year groups. 

If one child in the class has a positive test result the entire class has to isolate as well. So essentially entire swathes of children could be off with just one child having tested positive. 

I work in secondary education too. I'm 6 months pregnant and hit the third trimester tomorrow, RCOG guidance is that we should be working from home. I asked my school what the plan was for me in the coming term in July and they said they would let me know closer to the time. We go back on Tuesday and they still haven't got in touch with me. I have no idea what they want me to do but I really don't think it's safe for me to be back at work.

16 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

It is going to be madness come September. In our school each class is a bubble (30 kids and a teacher) these bubbles can mix within the year group but not with other year groups. 

If one child in the class has a positive test result the entire class has to isolate as well. So essentially entire swathes of children could be off with just one child having tested positive. 

My school is employing the same system but teachers will change depending on the lesson. All students are in at the same time but lunch and break times are staggered. We are a large school, 1500 students but not the biggest building so I don't know how this will work practically.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

TBF, that does mean teenage boys finally get a shot with the girls in their class rather than them only being interested in lads in the year above.

7 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I work in secondary education too. I'm 6 months pregnant and hit the third trimester tomorrow, RCOG guidance is that we should be working from home. I asked my school what the plan was for me in the coming term in July and they said they would let me know closer to the time. We go back on Tuesday and they still haven't got in touch with me. I have no idea what they want me to do but I really don't think it's safe for me to be back at work.

You need to phone your union. You categorically should not go back I would say. Hopefully your school will be decent about it all and let you work from home. Make sure they don't try to force you on maternity leave early either as you can in some form work from home.

@JNLister¬†if I see any teenage boys in my school I will be surprised, it's a primary ūüėā

Edited by Joe Blog
Reply to Lister