Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Nan died at about 8pm. Mum and Dad were clapping for the NHS because of treatment she's had this week. Mum's gotta go to hospital every day until a theatre becomes free and no one is sure what's happening with her eye because they havent got resources to properly investigate.

Today has sucked, majorly 

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear about your loss, Pat. Hopefully they'll be able to help your mum soon. 

Interesting to hear the Bank of England's statement regarding the current situation, describing it as the greatest economic downturn in 300 years. It's insight like that leaves me in awe of these people. I wonder if ordinary folk will have trouble finding work, or if any business' might actually have to close?...just a random thought, of course.

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting anxiously for more advice from the government. Understanably, I've based large parts of my life around governmental guidance & advice. I was slightly concerned that John Redwood M.P, a man I had previously held in very high regard, particularly following his joyous rendition of the Welsh National anthem, seemed to be indicating that economics were the top priority and people should essentially get back to normal. He's probably right though. The Legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFP5MjUuzsg

There was of course, the great "Stay In For Ethiopia" in the latter months of '71, leading inevitably to 1972. I vividly recall having huge problems sourcing glitter, primarily due to the slowdown in manufacturing, but also GlamRock. Rarely mentioned these days and generally just referred to as 'The Troubles'.

• Paid Members

Popped by Aldi tonight, with me waiting outside with the boy and the missus going in to do the actual shopping.

It's bizarre how many people still turn up to shop as a couple. It's mind buggeringly astounding how many of these will queue as a couple, and watch - as a couple - other couples being split up because of the "one person per household" rule, and then remain queuing as a couple, only to finally reach the front of the queue and kick off when they're told that only one of them is coming in.

7 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Popped by Aldi tonight, with me waiting outside with the boy and the missus going in to do the actual shopping.

It's bizarre how many people still turn up to shop as a couple. It's mind buggeringly astounding how many of these will queue as a couple, and watch - as a couple - other couples being split up because of the "one person per household" rule, and then remain queuing as a couple, only to finally reach the front of the queue and kick off when they're told that only one of them is coming in.

I have seen this happen quite a bit and one guy nearly ended up punching one assistant because he wouldn't let him and his partner into the shop at the same time.  In all honestly I cannot believe the genuine level of stupidity of some people whilst all this has been ongoing.

I work for an energy company that supplies small businesses and have been able to contiune working from home despite everything. However, we are all being asked to take calls from customers, due to lower staff numbers, who regularly do that job. You would expect that as my employer supplies small businesses, it would be pretty quiet as most businesses are closed. However, it is not and some of the calls being received with the questions being asked or the statements being made are generally baffling, I actually had one person telling me with such conviction that my employer was the only utility company still invoicing and taking money from their customers (business and domestic, she said) ..... I do often wonder if the calls are being made due to boredom rather than necessity.

We also have several messages on the phones IVR system directing customers to our online accout manager, live chat and the automated "Making payments" "Adding readings" section where you can do either without having to wait and speak to someone. However people seem content to wait for 30 minutes plus to make a payment but then complain about the wait time the moment you introduce yourself.

I'll admit, I have not dealt with people over the phone for about 6 years as my current role does not call for this. However, the way some people speak to advisors, who they have called for assistance, remember is downright disgusting. One of my favourites is asking why their bill is so high, you determine it has been estimated (the invoices do confirm if they have been estimated, so this could actually prevent the conversation in the first place, if you think about it logically) and when you ask if they have or are actually in a position to be able to obtain a reading (you know, the proactive approach) the answer is generally no with a few obscenities to fill out the sentence.

The more this goes one and the more I have dealings with the "Great" British Public the more I think we need cures for stupidity and bad manners before COVID-19.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz
Spelling

32 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

The more this goes one and the more I have dealings with the "Great" British Public the more I think we need cures for stupidity and bad manners before COVID-19.

I'm a Chef in a cafe, and the amount of times I've had to go out and speak to rude or to stop customers shouting at staff is ridiculous, a lot of the staff are teenagers and  have been in tears after a 50 year old customer is screaming in there faces. I've always found the order generations are the worse ones. 

I've heard a quip on Twitter some time ago re: lock down protests that I 100% believe - People do not want to go to work; they want YOU to go to work so they can go out to restaurants.

As much as there are so many people doing incredible work in response to the outbreak worldwide, this really is another situation that has exposed how cretinous, unaware, and self-absorbed humans at all levels can be and are.