AEW Revolution chatter *spoilers*

tiger_rick

I thought Revolution was an amazing show - and I'm enjoying reading all the love for AEW. I was a lapsed fan until I got into NJPW and ROH - largely through the gateway that is BTE. AEW is exactly what I wanted it to be and The Elite and Tony Khan are so deserving of all the success that's coming their way. From the moment this promotion was announced I was convinced it would be the shot in the arm the industry needed and I'm just as sure of that today - onward and upward!

I've disagreed with criticism of Kenny Omega in the last year as I've enjoyed is feuds and he has shown just how versatile he can be, but has he been involved in many matches of the quality he had in New Japan? Not many....but that tag match and the iron man match on Dynamite are probably the 2 very best matches he's had since AEWs formation.

Everything else said just before me by @Mr Butternut Squash I agree with. £18 per quarter for PPVs of that standard is something I have no qualms over.

What a time to be a wrestling fan!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Since dropping the Indy Panda shit

Says a lot about the pace they've developed at that I'd completely forgotten that was a thing.

He's had some journey from "who?" to "yay/boo, it's Sammy" already.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, Worthits said:

Neck Tattoo was the talking point of that match, it never got started.  

Whoever booked that main event needs shooting. Did Mox use a blood capsule in his patch in the storyline to fool the IC or what? 

Ambrose is a madlad, his schemes and actions don’t need to be logical. We’re having fun, Maggle! 

Well he wasn’t faking it the whole time, Jericho knows he stabbed him in the eye... Logic would dictate the eye had healed and he just let Jericho think it was still bad to catch him off guard. Would have made more sense to do it at the start of the match and ruin Jerichos whole game plan, but doing it at the end got a better pop

• Paid Members

Finally caught up and finished the show. That is one of the best wresting shows I've seen in years.

As already mentioned loads, the tag team bout was awe inspiring at times. I've never been an indy wrestling fan, so while knowing about people like the Bucks and Page I've actually seen little of them in the ring outside gifs and the like. This match made me appreciate how good they can actually be.  There were some simple but brilliant little spots in there that had me ginning like an idiot. Like the "one" count after the double Vtrigger thing. We're all so programmed to wait for a "two" count or the standard pin break up, that it felt like a genuine "holy shit" moment. Brilliant storytelling as well, and has really helped me warm to Page after a bit of a wanky start.

I'm mega onboard with Darby Allen too. If they continue to handle him right, he could be a massive star with his counter-culture character. I do worry that he's not going to be around for long with his style though. I have not winced this much watching a wrestler since Foley's hayday.

I also thought the Pac/Cassidy match was a bit of genius too. I love Pac, and think he's as good as anyone in the world(and I think I'd have him be the one that eventually dethrones Moxley as Champion) but, as with the Bucks and Page etc, knew nothing about Orange Cassidy barring the few clip I had seen of him. But fuck me, he can really wrestle, can't he? Now I'm wondering if the gimmick may end up a bit of a burden for him as there will be a natural ceiling to how high up the card it can go. If I understand it right, wasn't the OC gimmick a bit of a side job, and his main role was under a mask?

The rest of the show as enjoyable, barring the womans match. With the women, I always take my 7 year old daughters reaction to them as a bit of a barromenter of how its going. She LOVES the WWE's women's matches, mainly due to Becky, but she just can't get into AEW's, which is a shame and something they need to invest some time and money on...

• Paid Members

One bit I noticed with Moxley's blood that I haven't seen before - at one point when Aubrey was checking on him, it looked like he was flicking at where he'd hit the post, to open the cut up again. Which makes total sense and is still just 'ew'.

I'm finding Cody's tattoo funnier and funnier. In BTE, they have some backstage stuff with him hiding it with the scarf, to make it more a big deal when he debuts it. It's his total wide-eyed belief that he's clearly made a brilliant decision that everyone will love. I hate the tattoo, but I kind of love that he's so dead-set on getting it.

5 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

With the women, I always take my 7 year old daughters reaction to them as a bit of a barromenter of how its going. She LOVES the WWE's women's matches, mainly due to Becky, but she just can't get into AEW's, which is a shame and something they need to invest some time and money on...

I have the opposite experience with my 6 year old daughter. WWE killed her interest by turning all her favourite wrestlers heel in the same 6 month period. Bayley, the Kabuki's, Io Shirai and Dakota Kai, all plucky baby faces that a young girl can get behind, all suddenly dastardly bastards. By contrast she's well behind the lasses in AEW. She gets the characters and especially loves the Joshi lasses.

The women's tag on this week's Dark is pretty good. Yuka Sakazaki is super over with the crowd.

Not only was the tag title match sensational but it highlights what a brilliant job they've done with Hangman Page up to this point, the guy came across like a megastar. Imagine this time last year, telling somebody there'd be a match featuring Kenny Omega, The Bucks and Page and the latter would be the most over guy in the match!

He wasn't quite the most over guy on the show though. That award goes to Orange fucking Cassidy! What a match and what a talent that guy is. I hope they keep him special and only have him wrestle singles on PPV. I'd pay to watch that guy every single time.

• Awards Moderator

Given all the fuss over this show I decided to watch it. I haven't been arsed to watch any AEW so far but I was really impressed with this one.

I didn't quite adore the tag match the way others do - I'm getting finisher spam apathy from Takeovers, though I appreciate the puro aesthetic they're inspired by - but I'm clearly in the minority here. 

PAC and Cassidy shouldn't work given how believable PAC is but he gave him everything. And seeing OC explode with proper offence was thrilling. This guy gets it. 

Big fan of Allin. Great look and commits completely to everything. Look forward to seeing more of him. 

I enjoyed Hager / Dustin as a very nuts and bolts match with Dustin really putting in a shift. 

Mox / Jericho was fine, good to see Mox with fire in his belly and should be a great quarterback for the company. 

Great show, looking forward to watching more. 

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I didn't quite adore the tag match the way others do - I'm getting finisher spam apathy from Takeovers, though I appreciate the puro aesthetic they're inspired by - but I'm clearly in the minority here. 

The intricate storytelling and effort to make it more than just big moves and spammy finishes made it a lot better than a Takeover match for me. Bucks have been more than guilty over the years of doing such matches, and Omega too with his crazy NJPW matches, but this had a lot of thought and planning put into it. I really appreciated the effort they all put in and the different layers it had, appealing to casual and diehard fans.

The Cornette review of the tag match auto played on YouTube this morning as I was getting ready, and fuck me be tries waaaay too hard to act like he didn’t enjoy it. His shit names for guys as well. Can’t see why anyone sides with his takes with no self thought at all, as was brutal listening to it 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Louch said:

His shit names for guys as well. 

This really pisses me off. A guy who gets credited as being a masterful wit and quick with an insult, and he comes up with "Pockets" and "Jelly Janela"? Fuck off, mate. The moment he doesn't have the same 1950s big book of insults that him and Lawler have been mining for 30 years, he's rubbish at it.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

The intricate storytelling and effort to make it more than just big moves and spammy finishes made it a lot better than a Takeover match for me. Bucks have been more than guilty over the years of doing such matches, and Omega too with his crazy NJPW matches, but this had a lot of thought and planning put into it. I really appreciated the effort they all put in and the different layers it had, appealing to casual and diehard fans.

I agree.

There certainly were a lot of moves~!!! but none of them really felt gratuitous. Even something ridiculous like the Indytaker on the ramp was an important part of the storyline. It was sold, by everybody really, as the Bucks trying to seriously injure Page in order to win the match. Why would he shake their hands and be all matey after that?

I think my favourite thing about the match was that they just went with the crowd. It felt like Page was *supposed* to be the heel going in but he got such a huge babyface reaction that the Bucks just went "Cool. We're the heels then". Matt Jackson, especially, came across like a right prick, but was subtle enough that it still wasn't a fully fledged heel turn. It leaves a lot of things open for the future.

Some disappointing matches (MJF vs Cody, Dustin vs Hager) and dodgy production issues aside it was a cracking show overall. Worth every penny.