AEW Revolution chatter *spoilers*

tiger_rick

Watched this Sunday morning at a nice leisurely, slightly hungover pace.  
Even though I don’t watch dynamite, I thoroughly enjoyed every match (missed the womens) and can’t remember feeling that way about a WWE show recently, which has felt stale for the longest time.

Definite soft spot for Page and Cassidy. 
Have tickets for double or nothing and am now excited about the show as well as a trip to Vegas! 

• Paid Members

The tag title match blew me away. It was by far Page and The Young Bucks best match in AEW. It was what I'd been waiting to see from Kenny Omega too. I'd say it was Omega's best as well, with this week's Iron Man match with PAC running it close.

What a week both of those men have had, their Iron Man match with each other and then PAC with Orange Cassidy and Omega in the tag title match on this show. This is the Kenny Omega I'd been waiting to see arrive at the building. I'm glad to see he figured out the map eventually. 

A fantastic show overall. I watched all of it apart from he women's match (I caught the last few minutes of that one) and thought as a whole, that it's the best wrestling PPV I've watched in a long while. There was very little that I didn't enjoy, that it wouldn't even be worth mentioning. 

Can’t recall I’d I read it here, but PAC wresting to Orange Cassidys style was so Minoru Suzuki like, playing into it while still being the serious hard bastard when needed 

Only watched the last three matches but sounds like I need to go back and watch the tag match and Allin/Sammy. I enjoyed what I saw a lot - the finish was a bit flat in MJF/Cody because it didn't seem that obvious MJF had put the ring on, especially to the live crowd. I thought they did a good job of making the matches seem bigger even if some of the bells and whistles (choir, live band) weren't great. Moxley looked absolutely awesome coming in from outside the arena though. The main event was good without being great but that is probably the drawback with Moxley - I think he makes up for it with what he does bring to the table and I quite enjoyed the eye patch reveal.

PAC was amazing. OC is great fun but for me it was PAC who really made the match work. I loved the spot when OC was rolling away and PAC had enough and walked to the side of the ring he was rolling too to cut him off. I don't know how either didn't start pissing themselves laughing when OC opened his eyes. It will be brilliant when he finally wins.

• Paid Members

Pretty sure OC was corpsing like anything when he opened his eyes. Which was actually fine, because it was hilarious, and much like with SNL, I'm fine with them clearly enjoying themselves sometimes. PAC angrily walking to the other side of the ring to cut him off was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

I liked Jericho's choir a lot, and thought that worked really well. Cody's band though... oh dear. Bad dad karaoke, and along with the hilarious tattoo felt like it damaged his aura quite a bit. 

I really don't understand why people were so distracted by Cody's tattoo. I know it's an awful piece of ink, poorly done it seems, but it wasn't so bad that it distracted me from the match itself. 

Downstait were so bad, though. Really terrible. But it distracted from the usual over the top Cody entrance that I'm normally critical of (I just don't feel like his entrance should be bigger or more spectacular than the champion. He's booked himself as an upper midcard act but has the biggest and most elaborate entrance going. 

• Paid Members

Tag was the most I've been invested in a match since Punk Cena at money in the bank. Nearly 30 and I was proper on the edge of my seat.

The Bucks are interesting, when they just flip about in a cold match it does nothing for me but with a story they are great. Second PPV in a row their match has been my favourite.

They've done a great job making me care about Page after a bad start, have loved this angle.

Think putting belt on Moxley is a mistake though. He's one dimensional while Jericho is in top form character wise.

9/10 show, while AEW started off patchy they have been on a great run since the Dark Order beatdown shambles.

Finally done watching this and I could watch it all again. Omega/Page vs The Bucks and PAC vs OC are two of the best things I’ll see all year. Sammy vs Darby and the main event were also top notch. 

I’m glad they didn’t blow off The Elite story as it’s the best thing going today. That tag was fucking gripping from beginning to end. Loads of story beats that were easy to pick up, with plenty left to reward the nerd’s eye. Fair play to them, The Elite have slowy grown into TV stars during this build, each sliding like a glove into their roles. I’m digging Kenny Omega as the weary peacekeeper, Bucks as the gobshite heels and Hangman as the conflicted Everyman that just wants to fuck it all off and do Cowboy shit. The post-match where the Bucks and Page tease a triple superkick was they real “Am I seeing this?” moment and my heart was in my mouth.

It’d be great if Orange Cassidy becomes a PPV regular. What an asset he is. I don’t know if they could have found a more perfect partner in PAC either, he was tremendous playing it bastard straight, getting ticked off and violent and letting the air out of the room. I’d never really seen OC sell, but he’s great at it! The dive he took into the ring post was bonkers, almost Sammy G like.

Out of all the early twenties guys, Guevara has fast become my favourite. First time I saw that face I knew he had something but I never expected him to get to this level so quickly. Since dropping the Indy Panda shit and joining the Inner Circle he’s done nothing but thrive. Loved the explosive start to Darby vs Sammy. Generally, I thought they did a good job of mixing up the match styles up and down the card, something they nailed at Double or Nothing.

Jericho was class. Main event was a really fun WWE main event with all the bells and whistles. Santana and Ortiz were delightful stooges at ringside and Sammy getting in that belt shot near the end was hilarious. I love Moxley, but he’s not the most compelling working from underneath and the crowd struggled to get behind him. It was clear that they came to see the Greatest Hits of Chris Jericho, and who could blame them. He’s in the form of his life. 

It was only MJF/Cody that didn’t deliver (I skipped the women’s match). It was good but it was all over the place in its story and tone. Where the fuck did the blood come from? The Cody self-indulgence scale tipped towards the negative in this one. And fuck me. I presumed that was a scratch-on transfer sticker thing on his neck before I looked on here. Wow. What a mark. 

The entrances, crowd noise, commentary, the flashing wrist bands, match graphics, video packages . . . all cracking stuff that felt big time Pro-Wrestling. JR warming to Orange Cassidy was the cherry on top of a feel good show. As has been said by others in here, AEW is turning into the wrestling promotion I wanted all along. At a time when WWE has began to deflate all my interest, it’s great to have it.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash