AEW Revolution chatter *spoilers*

tiger_rick

36 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Todays wrestlers have the worst tattoos. Zack Ryder had 35 years on this planet to come up with his area code in clip art font (next to his fake wrestling name, obvs.)

EMRyCqEWoAEeFaQ.jpg

A 'now vs then' of wrestlers tattoos thread needs considering. I agree that the ones now seem shitter but there must have been some howlers at some point back in the day.

Codys neck tattoo has to be right up there with 'Seriously mate, just no' tattoos though, right?

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

didnt see it but listening to the Post Wrestling review, can anyone explain what the eye patch/reveal was all about? why would Moxley wrestle the majority of the match with the patch on if he didnt need it?

Jericho had blinded Mox in one eye with a spike off his jacket a few weeks back, they played it up as a factor during both the weigh in on Dynamite on Wednesday and during the match, so that it would be revealed late in the match that Mox didn't need the patch anymore to catch Jericho off guard leading to the finish

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Worthits said:

Same people saying how amazing that tag match was were the same moaning about how theres too many "movez" in AEW and how finishers no longer mean anything. Learn to be consistent.

Time and place. Arguing that there are too many 'movez' in every match is partly about nothing standing out. 

You need variety, not consistency in a show. Otherwise everything is repetitive. As long as you're not breaking the rules you're setting up, it's fine.

The problem is that before, every match was doing too much and trying to be epic. This meant nothing was epic. 

1 hour ago, Worthits said:

Same people saying how amazing that tag match was were the same moaning about how theres too many "movez" in AEW and how finishers no longer mean anything. Learn to be consistent.

You should probably re-watch the match.

Everything was paced out and meant something. The golden trigger was literally the only kick out and it was placed that way for maximum effect.

9/10 show, absolutely bloody brilliant - loved the entrances and the action, with only the women's match being a bit of a plod. Thought those lit up wrist bands for the crowd were a very cool idea too!

Has no one mentioned Jake Hager's music yet? Absolute "fire" as the kids say.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

46 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Jericho had blinded Mox in one eye with a spike off his jacket a few weeks back, they played it up as a factor during both the weigh in on Dynamite on Wednesday and during the match, so that it would be revealed late in the match that Mox didn't need the patch anymore to catch Jericho off guard leading to the finish

Fair play to him, he’s out-wackying his Dean Ambrose work. The eyepatch stuff was hilarious. He wrestled a championship match with one eye for no other reason than to take off his eyepatch to upset Jericho at the point when he already had him beat.

• Paid Members

Hager/Dustin didn't work for me at all. While the build-up was strong, I stopped caring when Hager started wrestling and was just Jack Swagger but older. New finishing move is fine, but Dustin doing the face 'kiss' spot also took me further out, and that was kind of the last straw.

The whole spot feels like it can't go anywhere good. She goes to slap him and then... best case scenario is Hager uses it as distraction to blindside him. Otherwise... what? Dustin can attack her (not good), stand there awkwardly (weird) or... sexually humilaite her. Weird. It'd be one thing if it was just Dustin, but the replay shows it was more widely agreed than that.

Darby Allin and Orange Cassidy were the standouts on this show. Both were superb.

Cody Rhodes is the most boring wrestler alive so no wonder he tried to spice himself up with the worst tattoo anyone has ever seen.

Also distracting was Arn Anderson cosplaying as Big Ron from Eastenders dressed like a bus driver.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Don’t get a massive tattoo on ya neck if you don’t have any other tattoos, it will never go well

He does have Dream tattooed on his chest. He should’ve just kept it at that. Or had this new one placed anywhere but there. 

I think Cody must’ve had doubts about this match. So fair play to him for getting that tattoo and that terrible live music introduction to distract everyone from what went on in the ring. 

• Paid Members

The show wasn't without its issues. Dustin not getting the #MeToo memo and sexually assaulting someone's wife for babyface pops in 2020 was bizarre. The women's match was a clunky mess that confirmed how great Riho is to have gotten such a good match out of Nyla Rose. And for as tight and cohesive as Dynamite has been since the turn of the year they still definitely need someone to agent the Pay Per Views as a whole. It felt like the whole show was filled with guys spitting on each other, biting each other and doing low-blows whether the ref was watching or not, with no consistency. I know they want to give guys more freedom with their matches but surely someone should be keeping an eye on this stuff? Almost everything is clicking at the moment, don’t ruin it by having guys repeat spots and make the refs look like twats.

Other than that though? Sweet Jesus. What a show. AEW has become everything I want from a pro-wrestling company. Fresh, exciting characters, storylines I genuinely care about, fun, action-packed matches and crazy, over the top production. I thought Takeover the other week was an amazing show but that was nothing compared to this.

That phenomenal tag match perfectly highlighted the difference. Crazy high spot matches are fun and all, but crazy high spot matches with characters and a storyline I'm super invested in? Inject that shit straight into my veins. Considering how much I hated the finisher spamming and endless kick-outs in that Cole vs. Ciampa match, I didn't even notice it here because I was so invested in what was going to happen and who was going to win. It was only when I came online afterwards that I was even aware they were kicking out of loads of stuff. I love this storyline so much and still have no idea which way it's going to go. However, seeing Mattt Jackson playing the subtle heel so well in this match, I'm now desperate for Omega to eventually tell The Bucks to fuck off and join Adam Page crowd surfing with beers. Either way though, all the credit in the world. Adam Page and Kenny Omega have gone from abject failures in AEW to being my favourite storyline in ages.

For about an hour, Sammy G vs. Darby Allin was my match of the year. Wild, crazy fun. That 630 onto the table outside looked like something you'd see created in WWE2K because no-one could actually pull it off in real life. The perfect match with the perfect finish. It's gonna be great watching both these guys become bigger and bigger stars, at least until one or both of them paralyses themselves, anyway.

Then Orange Cassidy and Pac came along and made my life complete. Match of the year by far. I suspected they'd have a cracker but this far surpassed my expectations. Absolutely brilliant. Both guys playing their role perfectly, having the greatest match imaginable. Easily the most I've smiled/laughed/been gripped by a match in years. Pac is incredible, but Cassidy is the fucking man. The can't be arsed/actually trying switching results in comebacks and hope spots that feel like they're on steroids and I genuinely can't remember the last time I've wanted someone to win more. Can you even imagine the pop he's going to get when he eventually wins a match? Also, in an era where everyone is smashing themselves to bits and breaking their necks, my new favourite spot is a man rolling around the ring  to avoid his opponent, seemingly corpsing at how much fun they're having. How Pac mostly stayed in character is beyond me. Outstanding. Even JR couldn't help himself but have the time of his life. Somewhere, I bet Cornette was doing everything in his power to hide his smile. All of the stars.

Cody vs. MJF was good, and the right man definitely won, but I dunno. It never felt like it lived up to the build up. Understandable of course, considering what an amazing build up it was. Plus, it's so obviously the first in a series so I don't blame them for saving stuff for later. I'm guessing it's Team Cody vs. Team MJF in Blood and Guts? I wonder if that'll be when The Elite implodes? The tattoo was so bad that I can't believe they didn't incorporate it into the storyline stipulations. Getting that shit on your neck for the rest of your life is way worse than a cage match with Wardlow or ten lashes!

I loved the production. The light-up wristbands looked cool all night long and even though Cody's band was a bit shit I still loved him and Jericho coming out to live music. Top drawer stuff.

The main event was OK. I feel bad for Jericho. He's a bit like Stone Cold in that he's hit his creative stride and become the star he always wanted to be at exactly the same time that his body can't go anymore. Still, Attitude-Era Main Events filled with smoke, mirrors and shortcuts isn't the worst thing in the world, especially on a show with this much workrate up and down the rest of the card. Mox's eye-patch thing was a bit hokey ,but overall I thought this was great fun and I'm excited to see where they go next. I hope and pray this isn't a sign of Jericho taking some time off.

One last thing, the moment when the Inner Circle were ejected was everything I love about pro-wrestling.

Aubrey's spin. Ortiz taking a bump in shock. I love it. This show rocked.
Edited by Supremo

For all the initial talk of AEW being a 'different' alternative etc etc, Revolution really proved that what AEW can do well is simply be the best pro-wrestling show out there. It doesn't need to be too different. Much of what's going on is going back to basics etc, just with a slightly modern twist in various areas.

More than anything it's just bringing the enthusiasm and creativity back for the talent which in turn gives the crowds something to be invested in.

Admittedly I thought they talked a good game early on and then missed some of their promised points, but Revolution shows that none of that matters if they can keep being this good.

I don't think the women's match was as bad as people perceived it to be. It seemed to have suffered due to being straight after the tag team match.

Not much else can be said on how great the tag match was. Hangman's grin as he was teasing the lariat on Omega, was the highest level of shithousery. Only downside to the match was the cameraman's inability to keep up with the moves.    

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, BigDaddyB said:

I don't think the women's match was as bad as people perceived it to be. It seemed to have suffered due to being straight after the tag team match.

It'd probably have been better if they swapped it with Hager/Rhodes. It ended up in an awkward placing on the card.

I'll give them credit - I was into it by the end. It was a bit botchy, which sort of ended up working for it, as those last few big moves were kind of scary to watch. 

The biggest problem they have with the women's division at the moment is that so many are still a bit green.