Non-Wrestlers - The Next Generation

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Between the discussion about WWE failing to create a new generation of stars the same level as Hogan/Rock/Austin, etc., and the one about Schiavone being away from the business for so long, it strikes me that if there's any aspect of wrestling that might have been more of a failure, it's the on-screen non-wrestling personnel. There doesn't seem to have been as much movement in creating new, plausible alternatives to the old guard.

Every time a new promotion comes into being, or a new programme starts as a mainstream/semi-mainstream product, the conversation almost inevitably comes round to whether or not JR, Paul Heyman, Jim Cornette, Taz, etc., should be involved. Much as I'm glad to see Tony Schiavone and Sean Mooney back in the industry as trusted and plausible voices, it also highlights how we don't seem to have much occasion to talk about any commentators past a certain point.

The main exceptions to this I can think of (and I think it's one of the many contributing reasons as to why people are enjoying NWA Powerrr) are Joe Galli, Stu Bennett, and Dave Marquez. I know Marquez has been around a while, but this is probably the first time he's reached a larger audience, even if it is still just a YouTube show. But all three of those guys do their jobs well in a way that compares well with the established commentators of the past.

I've only been keeping up with AEW via the odd clip on YouTube, and both AEW and WWE (sometimes) via posts on here, but it seems like there's a combination of people being fed-up with the old hands phoning it in, and not being sold on most of the new guys, like Excalibur, for example. Naturally, because on-screen non-wrestling roles are few compared to wrestlers, we're not likely to see much turnover, but it does seem like, even proportionally, there's not as much as there could be. 

I'd like to see a lot more managers around - I don't think there are anywhere near enough. Why is NWA pushing Pope as a player-manager when he's a bit rubbish in the role, and you've got Austin Idol waiting in the wings, who's clearly awesome? 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Selina De La Renta from MLW is unreal for her experience level. She's got a massive future.

Did I read that she's the youngest ever producer of a weekly wrestling show or something? Brilliant to have a young woman involved in wrestling at that important a level.

• Paid Members

Was chatting to my brother about something similar at the weekend. AEW need to be finding someone to replace JR, and to a lesser extent Skiavone, very soon. Fuck knows where you find someone these days. Look at the awful trouble WWE have with all their resources and pulling power and the environment they have for grooming someone.

I’ve always thought wwe missed a trick with not having a tryout specifically for managers etc 

they go hard for the athletes and then hone them in the PC

However there are talented managers/non wrestling personnel who would flourish under the guidance of the NXT staff 

A lot of the former athletes don’t possess the skill of acting or strong promo which a manager would show up already possessing. Get him in the gym and make money from him. They’ve kinda did it with Stokely Hathaway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Did I read that she's the youngest ever producer of a weekly wrestling show or something? Brilliant to have a young woman involved in wrestling at that important a level.

Yeah. They've really let her shine in many roles. She does heel Spanish announcing, too. She's awesome.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Yeah. They've really let her shine in many roles. She does heel Spanish announcing, too. She's awesome.

I watched a couple of episodes of MLW a while back and she was on those, and was top quality. You'd think that WWE should be falling over themselves to sign her but they'd only do what they did with Lana and try and make her into another wrestler rather than letting her do what she's clearly already good at.

Just now, PBWFan said:

A lot of the former athletes don’t possess the skill of acting or strong promo which a manager would show up already possessing. Get him in the gym and make money from him. They’ve kinda did it with Stokely Hathaway.

They've done fuck all with Hathaway.  He's been under contract for almost a year and only the most ardent of fans would even know he's in the system.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PBWFan said:

I’ve always thought wwe missed a trick with not having a tryout specifically for managers etc 

FWA did it a couple of times back in the mid-2000s with the Starsearch competitions. Was a good idea, but they didn't keep it going.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

FWA did it a couple of times back in the mid-2000s with the Starsearch competitions. Was a good idea, but they didn't keep it going.

The prize of "you get to work for free and do all the work nobody else wants to do" was more of a look at what you could have won, though.

That reminds me. I remember about 10 years ago when Jim Mitchell was asked to report to FCW for a tryout and when he got there Skinner tried to charge him and wanted him to do flip bumps. And he turned straight back and told him where to go.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I wasn't an avid watcher of Lucha Underground but always thought Dario Cueto was really great. I also quite like that blonde Scientology guy they've brought in to do the Dark Order videos in AEW, who I'm also assuming is a professional actor. I don't see why they can't bring in more proper actors for roles that don't require taking bumps. Seems such an obvious choice if you can get over the cany bollocks.