Pancake Day

Carbomb

• Paid Members

I only remembered last night that today is Bob Mortimer's most important day of the year, so I went out and got pancake mix (I know, I know, but every time I've made it from scratch I've ended up with a lumpy mess).

Made pancakes this morning, and they turned out OK (I only remembered after I'd eaten them that I hadn't taken any pics, soz); I prefer crepes to Scotch/American pancakes, as they've a lighter texture and flavour. Had mine with (not at the same time) Biscoff crunchy biscuit spread, strawberry jam, and this stuff which we hadn't opened since Christmas but turned out to be fuggin' lush:

almond butter pumpkin spice.jpg

Normally I forget, but I'm glad I remembered. Loved pancakes since I was a kid. And I do like the classic lemon and sugar combo, but this time wasn't feeling it. Did anyone here remember, and if so what did you have with yours?

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Pancake mix? Fuck me. It's one cup flour, one cup milk and 1 egg! Could not be easier.

I made 5 this morning. I ate zero. Weigh in day, init?

Youngest daughter put Nutella, White choc "nutella", Eric Bischoff spread and golden syrup on hers. Expecting diabetes by tonight.

• Paid Members

I had a curry pancake at Centerparcs once. Curiously, it had NACHOS crumbled on top. It was rancid.

Had some lovely pancakes in Amsterdam a few years back. Better than Jiff lemon and sugar, which is all we were allowed in our house as kids for Shrove Tuesday. Oooh, what a treat! Cheers mum! Fuck off.

Edited by PunkStep
suck your mum rudeboy

1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Better than Jiff lemon and sugar, which is all we were allowed in our house as kids for Shrove Tuesday. Oooh, what a treat! Cheers mum! Fuck off.

I'd have left you outside for the Child Catcher with that attitude.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Pancake mix? Fuck me. It's one cup flour, one cup milk and 1 egg! Could not be easier.

Yeah, but as mentioned I always end up with a load of lumps, even when I whisk. The ingredients themselves aren't the problem.

• Moderators

I have a horrible memory of eating one of those thick fucking huge Dutch pancakes in Amsterdam, with the dryest dry mouth ever. The only way to lubricate it was more butter and syrup and it was just nauseating.

Thinking about it now actually, it might have been the turning point where I stopped liking having processed sweet treats when stoned. These days on the rare occasion I have a joint, it tends to be before I go into the cinema and I always take a punnet of blueberries or something instead of getting popcorn.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
A psychological breakthrough

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I always take a punnet of blueberries or something instead of getting popcorn.

This may be the most middle class thing you've ever said.

1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

You just had one with cheese and Marmite!

With the mince were they trying a homemade Findus Crispy Pancake as they definitely had a mince variety?

I've had cheese and Marmite pancakes at a pancake stand!

Re. Findus, yeah I'd forgotten about those, but for some reason the Crispy Pancake was a forbidden fruit at Casa Brody so I can't imagine that being it. Must have been fairly normal, although my wife always looks at me like I've gone wrong when I bring up savoury on Pancake Day.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Just did one with cheese and marmite followed by one with golden syrup and lemon.

Used to have mince and onions in them on Pancake Day when I was a kid. Is that a normal thing, a northern thing or are my parents deviants?

8 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

You just had one with cheese and Marmite!

With the mince were they trying a homemade Findus Crispy Pancake as they definitely had a mince variety?

There's a Turkish cafe round the corner from me that does really nice savoury crepes for lunch. Bloody huge things, stuffed with chicken, cheese, onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce.