• Awards Moderator

I can’t remember much about it now but I really enjoyed original NXT Season 1 at the time. The rookie/pro angle made it feel a little different, the first episode led with Chris Jericho vs Daniel Bryan (and the Bubba Poon thread on here), Barrett had his big coat, Justin Gabriel felt like a high flying revelation in 2010 WWE, and I’m reasonably sure we got some Skip Sheffield / William Regal comedy.

NXT would hit greater heights with Lucky Cannon and Jacob Novak, but the debut bunch did pretty well (even if Bryan and Heath Slater are the only ones left).

I remember the outrage at Miz being appointed Daniel Bryan's mentor, people actually thinking Miz would be training him in some way. 

We still the definitive end to that feud too, I'm not buying the match from a couple years ago when it looked like Bryan was leaving. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

I miss NEWM. The NXT thread was the best one on here when him, me, Ian and Cletus used to watch the real man's NXT every week and most of that was his love for it. 

I'll be honest, I'm 99% certain I've seen more episodes of the real man's NXT than the modern one. I believe NEWM entitled that thread "your action figure fed come to life" or something.

Crazy to think where NXT started and where it is now. I loved those seasons where they just seemed to give up and fuck around. That's the most fun I've had in ages watching. All credit to those who kept going and everyone involved that pushed it to where it is today.

There is still, sadly, a questionable leap between NXT and Raw/Smackdown and I wish it wasn't the case. I wish they could keep talent hot and manage them properly but it's clearly very difficult and I'm not placing the blame in any one area.

The biggest issue for me will always be WWE assuming everyone knows the NXT talent and not really giving them an intro on Raw or Smackdown. That's an easy fix.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

The biggest issue for me will always be WWE assuming everyone knows the NXT talent and not really giving them an intro on Raw or Smackdown. That's an easy fix.

100% this, and it really hampered some of the stars when they made the jump. Emma, Nakamura and Bayley are three that immediately come to mind.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I'll be honest, I'm 99% certain I've seen more episodes of the real man's NXT than the modern one. I believe NEWM entitled that thread "your action figure fed come to life" or something.

Yup, I certainly have.

From what I recall it had quite a handy timeslot on Sky Sports after the football or something like that, and was quite an easy hour's watch. 

28 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

100% this, and it really hampered some of the stars when they made the jump. Emma, Nakamura and Bayley are three that immediately come to mind.

Nakamura desperately needed it. He was hardly going to come in and blow people away on the mic and win them over. Instead they just thought his music was enough. Sigh.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

How long did NXT Redemption go on for? That must've covered at least half of this ten year tenure.

Ended after 59 weeks at which point Titus O'Neil and Darren Young moved to Smackdown and the winner by default (but never acknowledged as such) was, erm EC3.

Totally forgotten part: Byron Saxton came sixth.

Edited by JNLister

10 hours ago, PunkStep said:

How long did NXT Redemption go on for? That must've covered at least half of this ten year tenure.

I loved how it stopped being a game show and just went on and on being the D show in its own little world, effectively being the genesis of what we have now, before getting moved from main show tapings to Full Sail

Punk doing commentary and constantly shitting all over Josh Matthews, Maxine and Johnny Curtis being one of the best double acts modern day WWE has had, plus that gobshite Low Ki being paired with and overshadowed by Laycool were all excellent. Far better than most of the programming NXT or the main rosters churn out these days.

Bryan's promo when he was eliminated on the 1st season was great too.

Edited by DCW