Who should win the AEW title from Chris Jericho?

RedRooster

• Paid Members

yeah, Omega's been the most egregious victim of it all because it's a literal failure of "show, don't tell"; they keep telling us he's a major deal, but for most of AEW's run he hasn't been booked like one yet. But that seems to be by design, and by all accounts he's perfectly happy being a bit player. I just think that they should have established him as a major player first, so he could put people over later.

I've always thought of gimmicks in terms of exposure. The higher up the card you are, the more nuanced you can afford to be, because you'll get more TV time devoted to you, more mic time to get yourself over, you'll be talked about more. But if you're only getting on TV for five minutes every couple of weeks, you need to be much more broad strokes, because you need to get things across in that short space of time.

This isn't just a problem for AEW, though, it's rife in WWE, and moreso in NXT and NXT:UK. Who is Apollo Crews? After more than a decade, could anyone succinctly really tell me what a Dolph Ziggler is, and why he's different from anyone else in the company?

Edited by BomberPat

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

yeah, Omega's been the most egregious victim of it all because it's a literal failure of "show, don't tell"; they keep telling us he's a major deal, but for most of AEW's run he hasn't been booked like one yet. But that seems to be by design, and by all accounts he's perfectly happy being a bit player. I just think that they should have established him as a major player first, so he could put people over later.

They've been doing better with Omega since he won the tag titles, and it'll be a major failure if his Iron Man with PAC (theĀ actualĀ best) isn't excellent. But the two bits I've bolded are why I don't think it's clicked with him (at least, up to last month) because they feel like they're in conflict. You're either a major deal, or you're happy being a bit player. You can't be both at the same time, one surely negates the other.

They've really badly handled Omega. I know its 'by design' and I'm not saying he should have been Champ right away, but Cody has shown you don't need to be the one with the strap to be the biggest deal in the company.

I just think he's been utterly uninteresting, which is a shame as Im a fan of him.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, BomberPat said:

After more than a decade, could anyone succinctly really tell me what a Dolph Ziggler is, and why he's different from anyone else in the company?

He's the quickest way to kill an angle dead. Otis and Mandy was the best thing going on Smackdown and then Dolph got involved and all my enthusiasm fell out my arse.