Who should win the AEW title from Chris Jericho?

RedRooster

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Mox will be damaged by failing to win thr big one. Have him beat Jericho for the belt, but quickly follow up with Jericho stealing it back via shenanigans. Possibly even that week on Dynamite.

That's no better. Killed Lex Luger as a ratings draw in 1997.

Got to commit. If Jericho is still the answer, he wins. 

27 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Mox will be damaged by failing to win thr big one. Have him beat Jericho for the belt, but quickly follow up with Jericho stealing it back via shenanigans. Possibly even that week on Dynamite.

Depends how he loses. If he goes out like an absolute maniac and gets screwed, or passes out because he does too much etc.. There's plenty of ways of having him remain a tough bastard even if he loses. Done right losing can actually elevate someone. Granted it's a very delicate and fine line to tread but it's a real pleasure when someone gets it right.

6 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Wardlow, but not yet.

You're right. If they keep MJF strong, and keep it going that he has Cody's number, I can see the feud peaking in over a year with something like Cody putting his Vice Presidency on the line against MJF's AEW championship, after months of MJF baiting him and hiding behind Big W. Imagine if, after a ref bump and shenanigans, MJF thrusts Cody's weight belt into Wardlow's hands, barking at him to lash him just like "2 years ago", only to have Wardlow do the slow turn when MJF isn't looking and absolutely leather him with it. It'll be marvellous (provided he gets a nicer singlet!). 

Edited by CavemanLynn

3 hours ago, Pinc said:

I’m not sure I agree. Even if Moxley loses clean it creates a storytelling opportunity. How does Moxley respond to losing his shot at the title? Where does he go from there?

It’s all about the follow-up.

• Paid Members

Hangman Page. They lose the belts to the Bucks at Revolution, he turns to the booze for comfort, reaches rock bottom then cleans up and redeems himself by working his way through the Inner Circle and taking the belt from Jericho. He can feud with Kenny either afterwards and to get himself ready for the title chase. 

Or Cody manages to finagle his way into a title shot. A tournament, battle royal. It's doable. 

The worst thing they can do is stop hangman drinking. It’s making him more relatable than being an ex teacher who’s the 5th wheel in amongst his pals. He stands up to his supposed mates, cuts a promo about how he can enjoy a good beer if he likes, and he will be over even more with an American wrestling audience than anyone in a good while. 

• Paid Members

Jericho needs to keep the title for the next year. No need to rush the title off him just yet as he's doing a fantastic job. Let him run through Mox, Darby, Omega, Page, Pentagon and build up the championship prestige.

Honestly, he gets overlooked, but Fenix has more potential as a singles competitor that Pentagon Jr at this stage, so I would have him rack up wins and impressive performances the entire time and have him be the one to dethrone Jericho.

• Paid Members

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really don't that see much in Jon Moxley if I'm honest.

I'm basing this solely on what I've seen of him on AEW, as while I was aware of the Shield I've watched hardly any WWE in the past decade, so other than name recognition he's basically a fresh character in my mind without any of the Dean Ambrose matches/accomplishments to fall back on.

He's fine as an upper midcarder but I genuinely don't see him as a main eventer, although most others do.

Personally I'd keep the belt on Jericho for a good while longer. I don't think there's a rabid appetite among the fanbase to strip him of the belt yet and would like to see the Inner Circle come up with more ways of making sure he keeps the belt at all costs until a genuine and popular contender comes along.

(That said, I wouldn't really listen to my opinion on anything AEW. Everyone seems to love Orange Cassidy, while I'm just bewildered at what everyone sees in this weirdo in double denim, ala Ben Wyatt and how everyone in Pawnee loves Li'l Sebastian in Parks and Recreation)

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

(That said, I wouldn't really listen to my opinion on anything AEW. Everyone seems to love Orange Cassidy, while I'm just bewildered at what everyone sees in this weirdo in double denim, ala Ben Wyatt and how everyone in Pawnee loves Li'l Sebastian in Parks and Recreation)

How dare you. Orange Cassidy is amazing. Watching him for the first time was like seeing an angel and being punched in the gut at the same time - because as perfect as he was, we knew we'd never see anything that perfect again. Except the next time he wrestled.

• Paid Members

From the looks of things, Jericho shouldn't lose the belt for quite some time, for no other reason than the AEW World title is very new, and they need to cultivate as much emotional investment as possible from the fans not just into the wrestlers who fight for it, but into the title itself - it needs to be worth them fighting over it. A long run in itself doesn't guarantee that, because all the title defences could be shit, but Jericho's the only guy on the roster who's been consistently booked as main-event and who has the chops both in the ring and out to really have a memorable run of matches, angles, and storylines that will really draw in the fans. Dustin would also have been great, but he's not been booked as a main-eventer, plus he's never won the big one, so that has to be a whole storyline in itself, if and when they do it (and they should).

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

I also was confused by the Orange Cassidy thing, but did some investigating and am now thoroughly on board with him. It doesn't help that nobody on commentary appears to know what he's about. 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I also was confused by the Orange Cassidy thing, but did some investigating and am now thoroughly on board with him. It doesn't help that nobody on commentary appears to know what he's about. 

I would investigate but stubbornly refuse to as they are obviously not doing a good enough job of explaining what the hell his character is about.

Still feel that AEW falls into the trap of assuming that everyone watching (prime time on a massive cable channel in America by the way), is fully aware of the US indy scene favourites beforehand and don't just fancy watching two hours of pro wrestling. 

Edited by garynysmon

15 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

I would investigate but stubbornly refuse to as they are obviously not doing a good enough job of explaining what the hell his character is about.

Still feel that AEW falls into the trap of assuming that everyone watching (prime time on a massive cable channel in America by the way), is fully aware of the US indy scene favourites beforehand and don't just fancy watching two hours of pro wrestling. 

To a point I definitely agree. But some characters are just fun to watch regardless of background and don't rely on prior knowledge or anything like that.

I don't have a damn clue about anything to do with Orange Cassidy pre-AEW but he's been one of the most entertaining parts of the show on a regular basis.