Who should win the AEW title from Chris Jericho?

RedRooster

With just over one week to go until Chris Jericho defends his AEW title against Jon Moxley it feels like an appropriate time to ask this question.

Is Moxley the person who should unseat ‘Le Champion’, and if not who should?

I’m going to throw (perhaps) a left field option out there for this honour: MJF.

Defeating Jericho for the title would be bloody huge for MJF, it would be an intriguing match-up and it would also help create the set of circumstances you’d need to eventually get Cody back in the title picture.

Who do you think should be the next AEW champion?

• Paid Members

It's a good problem to have but Chris Jericho is on such good form at the moment that I wouldn't want to take the belt off him any time soon. And yet, at the same time, I really want a babyface like Moxley to win it just so we can get some heels moving up the card to challenge him.

I dunno, maybe I'm not thinking of the future, but I want to see newly-turned, top-heel Pentagon vs. Moxley for the AEW Title so badly that I'm willing to piss over whatever long-term plans they might currently have.

• Paid Members

Jericho should stay champion for ages, AEW is still fresh, no need for him to lose the belt until it needs a bit of a shot in the arm. The next guy should be an equally good but different champ, Mox would be my choice, a stone cold run as a super over anti-hero. Then they can start giving it to more home grown guys.

They've made a point of showing how physically wrecked Mox is getting. His elbow's fucked, he's lost an eye and his midsection is taped up. I think they'll recreate Austin vs Hart by having Mox end up bloodied and passing out in the Liontamer.

I don't think anyone should take that title off Jericho yet. You've got Darby as a potential interim challenger, and Dustin working through the Inner Circle, but there's no one immediately who's hot enough to take it from le Champion. 

I'd have Mox win the belt next week, if they want him to be the top face/anti hero which he should be then he needs to win it on his first try or they risk "not pulling the trigger like wwe" 

I don't think it would damage Jericho or Inner Circle, they could use it to get more aggressive and be more gang like instead if cocky, would stop show getting samey or stale (not saying it is yet) 

As others said Mox as champ vs Pac, Penta, MJF, Darby, Page, leading to Omega down the road all have potential.

There's a lot of life left in a Jericho run without screwing over their babyfaced. If they book it smart then it can continue for a good while and build up someone that the crowd REALLY want to see on top instead of Jericho. At the moment that's not the case.

Cody is the closest but obviously they have a whole different thing going on there.

Mox is in a good position but I don't believe he needs the belt at the moment and I don't think it would add anything to him.

They've got so many options for people that could step up. It'll be interesting to see who they finally go with.

Jericho’s the biggest babyface in the company at the moment. They even zoom in on people belting out his theme music now. Only Cody is a bigger face and he’s put that stupid stip over himself where he can’t challenge for the title until everyone feels comfortable about him walking it back. Moxley or any other babyface beating Jericho is in danger of falling flat. 

Jericho inevitably is gonna become an official face. By then I’d hope MJF is ready to strap the rocket to. Otherwise it’s Kenny Omega. “Turn him heel” might be a cop out, but that’s how you salvage Omega as a main event act. Let him put the legend to bed. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I'd like them to keep the belt on Jericho for longer. A short term programme with Dustin Rhodes would be awesome, but ultimately it's Kenny Omega who I want to be the one to take the belt from him, which I hope is at Double or Nothing in a rematch from last year.

That said, my gut tells me Moxley wins at Revolution and Omega stays out of the title picture by starting a fued with Hangman that will take them up to DoN.