UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Buckle up boys. 

The next few weeks are going to be an utter clusterfuck. Dana clearly doesn't want to cancel this event. Yet, he'll no doubt encounter numerous obstacles and there is also no guarantee that all of the fighters will want to play ball either. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

there is also no guarantee that all of the fighters will want to play ball either. 

That's fair - they're paid to fight.

Seriously, though, it's a tricky call. If they don't want to fight because they don't want to risk infection, that's absolutely fair. Much as I dislike Plastic Caesar, I think he's possibly reasonable enough to understand the reticence on a fighter's part in something like this. Insofar as it's possible to make any good calls in the current crisis, I think he's made a good one; unless rent or mortgage payments are suspended, there aren't many private organisations that can afford to cancel all events. I don't think the UFC is quite as big as the NBA that they can afford to keep paying their staff without revenue.

Considering all the physical contact in MMA training sooner or later a UFC fighter will test positive for the virus. Theres the potential for numerous members on teams to easily catch it. That's what will force the UFC's hand to suspend events like it was with the Premier League and the NBA. They were talking empty arena games then players started testing positive.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, WeeAl said:

At this rate, Khabib Vs Tony is going to happen at Bellator 500, when both are about as far away from their prime as Chuck Liddell's hips. 

This has been floating around...

8A2E4A69-DD9E-4816-B209-F4F219A217B3.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

For anyone still keeping tabs, this is the latest:

UFC president Dana White appeared on ESPN's SportsCenter Monday night to announce the postponement of the next three events: UFC London, UFC Columbus and UFC Portland.

The company had been endeavoring to hold the events in alternate locations without spectators, but in compliance with evolving federal guidelines in response to COVID-19, ultimately decided to postpone.

"We have the card, we have the fighters, we have everything," said White. "Now they’re saying there should be no more than 10 in a room and that’s impossible. We can’t do it. We have complied with everything that the government and these doctors have said to do. We have no choice now but to postpone these fights."

White did note, however, that UFC 249 was still on the schedule, and was hopeful that the long-sought bout between lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson would still go on.

"Tony Ferguson versus Khabib, April 18, is still on and that will still happen," White said. "This fight is gonna happen, no crowd, whatever it takes, probably not even gonna be in the United States but this fight’s gonna happen."

• Paid Members

at this point i dont even wanna see it in April, the build up this deserves will be muted, the buzz generated by fight week wont exist, then the fight plays out with no audience? nah, not for me. Id rather wait a another couple of months and have them do it properly.

• Paid Members

It should be cancelled and it's almost certain that it will be. Despite what balloon head is claiming here. These gyms are a breeding ground for illnesses and transmission of infections. How do you effectively train for an MMA fight without breathing over, sweating on and getting saliva sprayed on you by another person? How do you do it without training on mats that would be less safe than the contents of the Petri dishes sitting in Laboratories around the world? 

In three weeks I'd be very surprised if the majority, if not all, MMA gyms around the globe are closed. If the gyms are closed, the fights can't go ahead. 

Edited by WeeAl