UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wait, surely this is great news for Dana? With Khabib out the way temporarily he can just go with Conor vs T-Ferg, right? Will the logistics allow for that? Then the winner gets Khabib in a mega-match.

If T-Ferg beats Conor he's a bigger star than ever, and if Conor beats Tony it gives him a bit more credibility than he would have going into a Khabib rematch after the Cowboy debacle.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, David said:

Wait, surely this is great news for Dana? 

That’s great. But it doesn't work for me, brother.

I’m not even sure McGregor is an option. Assuming he’s in Ireland (could be wrong), then they’re on lockdown now as well, aren’t they? Where can you get flights to/from at the moment? The whole thing is a mess. 

Also, as much as Tony vs Conor would be fun and a good backup, if Conor wins that fight then I think it pretty much kills any remaining hope of seeing Khabib vs Ferguson forever. Then we’d be locked into Khabib vs McGregor 2 and Ferguson would have to fight someone else to get back in the convo. It could still happen down the line but Conor could fuck this all up. 

36 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’m not even sure McGregor is an option. Assuming he’s in Ireland (could be wrong), then they’re on lockdown now as well, aren’t they? Where can you get flights to/from at the moment? The whole thing is a mess. 

If you have the profile and the cash, you can get a private jet still. The lockdown is only really for the plebs.

• Paid Members

Woodley is the worst. It wasn’t long ago he was on Helwani’s show and slagging off fighters who have a fake ‘character’ or gimmick for the cameras. He was saying everyone copied McGregor and started wearing suits and trying to trash talk, Colby came up with a gimmick etc whereas he’d always just been himself. I thought he hit the nail on the head and it was actually one of the first times I thought ‘maybe Woodley isn’t so bad.’ But I’ve noticed ever since he started rapping (terribly) all his trash talking and tweets have taken the tone of a lazily put together diss track. He’s swearing more, everyone’s ‘wack’ or a ‘cornball’ or ‘chasing clout’. It just doesn’t come off authentic at all because he never used to talk like that. He’s been in the studio 5 minutes and he’s talking like a 17 year old who records ‘freestyles’ in his bathroom for Instagram. Fam. It’s like he’s actively trying to be more of a cringefest Colby Covington. The man’s pushing 40 but I’m now fully expecting him to get a tattoo on his face and grow dreads and dye them pink and green. 

You know what I hate? Fighters who slate other fighters for doing whatever they have to do to get paid. If it's fans doing it, fair enough. It's our jobs to not like fighters, while liking others.

But fighters like Woodley should know that Covington is just looking to secure his next fight, draw eyeballs, and get paid. It's his fucking job.

• Paid Members

I doubt they'll have Conor fight on this. Something like Tony v Justin is more realistic. However if that was to happen I'd imagine it would be more a Dana ego move or something done for ESPN's sake - either to keep them happy or a push by ESPN itself while it has no real sports to air.

The terms of the ESPN+ deal are still kind of up in the air. All we know is the UFC get a good level of guaranteed income per show. I've read some claim they get a split of the PPV income (so if a show does well they notice), while more reliable sources, at the the time, mentioned it's more an upfront licensing fee - the idea being it evens out, when you consider how badly some shows were tanking when Rousey left and Conor was busy being a prick.

3 hours ago, JNLister said:

If UFC is getting a fixed amount from ESPN for each show (regardless of how many people watch/buy it), why would they book McGregor on a show that's going to have no live gate? 

That's a good point, actually. I hadn't even considered that.