UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Definitely. Other than the satisfaction of seeing McGregor get beat down again, Khabib vs McGregor 2 isn’t even on the list of fights I want to see anytime soon. Khabib vs Gaethje has to be next otherwise what’s the point of even pretending interim titles mean shit anymore? It’s a fascinating matchup as well. Stick McGregor in with Masvidal, Diaz or even Poirier again. If he wins that, fuck it, then give him the winner of Khabib vs Gaethje. 

If McGregor vs Gaethje happens, all the slagging him off aside, I could see McGregor outclassing him on the feet, to be honest. But it’d be a fun fight and I could just as easily see Gaethje weathering the storm and absolutely breaking him. If McGregor doesn’t put him away earlyish, I could see Gaethje dragging him into the type of war that he doesn’t fancy. If Gaethje beat McGregor though, I think he’d hurt him. It’d probably be a lot more of a violent and damaging fight than how Khabib beat him because that’s just how Gaethje fights. If pushed I’d probably slightly favour McGregor but after Gaethje’s showing on Saturday night I’d be a little more optimistic about JG’s chances now. 

Edited by wandshogun09

For me, it's all about styles for McG. As it is for anyone who's largely one-dimensional in this game.

Put McG in with a standup fighter and you'll get something exciting. Put him in with a wrestler who he can convince to stand with him and he's likely going to come out on top.

Put him in with a submission artist or a wrestler who's smart enough to drag his narrow Irish behind to the mat and he's gonna be sucking for air and trying to survive before eventually succumbing to a beating.

He'll never beat Khabib. It just isn't going to happen. He's not got the tools to get it done. I don't think he has the tools to get Ferguson either. I could see Ferguson/Conor going much the same way as the first Diaz fight. He'll look half-decent, get clipped, overwhelmed, hit the floor and get tapped the fuck out.

Him vs Gaethje would be amazing. 

if he was smart he'd sit back and let Gaethje and Khabib go at it. Even if Kahbib wins, he'll not be the same guy after that fight. And if Gaethje wins, it's Conor's best chance of getting that belt back.

• Paid Members

100% although I think he has a slightly better chance against Ferguson just because Ferguson gets clipped all the time and Conor is very good at closing the show when he has someone hurt. I’d still lean towards Ferguson submitting him for the reasons you give there. But I think it’s a fight Conor has a bit more of a chance in. Especially now because Ferguson has been putting his body through the ringer with the way he trains and fights and the longer the fight takes to happen then I think it favours Conor. All the injuries, all the wars, 36 years old, it’s got to catch up to Ferguson eventually. 

I think McGregor is in a position now where he knows Khabib’s the nightmare matchup for him but he’s almost got to keep calling him out for his own ego/image. If he calls out anyone but Khabib or the guy to get him the shot at Khabib (Gaethje) he’ll look like he doesn’t want it. He’s backed himself into a corner by talking so much shite.

I find it funny how he got spanked by Khabib so bad that he still tragically clings on to that third round he barely won just so he can sleep at night. And that shit about Khabib staying on the bus which his groupies all lap up. Even though when it counted, Khabib fucked him up then looked him in the eye and spat on him and he just sat there. It’s mad how he’s brainwashed so many people into believing he somehow came out on top that night and Khabib’s terrified of the rematch. 

702E08F3-6413-4ECC-823A-A2538D873229.jpeg

Poor Conor. You just hope that deep down he understands that Floyd carried him for a few rounds, right? Mayweather even said afterwards that he was looking to give the fans their moneys worth.

We saw in his fight with Tenshin Nasukawa what Floyd is capable of doing when he actually just wants to get in there, get the job done, and fuck off. There's no reason why he couldn't have done the exact same to Conor if he wasn't feeling charitable.

There are levels to the boxing game, and despite the hate he may get, Mayweather is right at the top of the pile. If he wants to take an 0-0 fighter for 10 or so rounds before cranking up the pressure and putting them away, he'll do it.

• Paid Members

I aint even sure if it was carrying him with intention of having a decent fight for the fans, more that was the safest course to victory. Let Conor have throw his best at him within the opening couple of rounds whilst comfortably defending himself, the just take over when he felt the sting go out of Conor's punches (what little sting there was). If they fought again, id expect the same thing to happen again. It is crazy to think that theres a lot of people convincing themselves it was close because Conor won the first few rounds.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
On 7/26/2020 at 7:56 AM, Egg Shen said:

didnt Gaethje just get annoyed at his rubbinv his face or something? dont think it got mentioned again.

If I'm remembering right he goes to remove the gumshield as Gaethje mouth is bleeding, Gaethje responds "what the fuck are you doing" and something gets said again after. Like you said it didn't get mentioned again so I probably read to much into it