UFC Brasilia: Lee vs Oliveira - Mar 14 šŸ‡§šŸ‡·

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Back? So now itā€™s happening later? Iā€™m confused.Ā 

oh does back mean later? i aint really sure what they've donešŸ˜„

the event countdown clock on Fight Pass is probably the best place to look.

• Paid Members

yeh, few Fight Pass prelims at 7 too.

Given the utter weirdness of the last few days im actually really looking forward to this tonight. Sports have all felt a little irrelevant given the circumstances but getting to see some fights and take my mind off the madness for a couple of hoursĀ will be a welcome relief.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He loves a moan, does Luke. I like a lot of his work but fuck me he can be too much sometimes. Once he gets on one about something heā€™llĀ flog thatĀ horse long after itsĀ death.Ā 

dont get him started on PED's.

I do like Thomas though, i never used too but ive warmed to him over time.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, neil said:

The tiny amount of people in the venue reminds me of TUF. Kinda love that this is still going on though tbh, I'm bored as fuck today.

I'm in your boat, adds a different quality to the event as well.Ā 

• Paid Members

Got to it late but goneĀ with Lee, Burns and Walker in the poll. AllĀ by KO.

Hoping for Oliveira, Maia and Walker to win. Although Iā€™m not so bothered about the result of Maia/Burns. Just hoping for a good fight.Ā 

Lee vs Oliveira was a very good fight. Oliveira has got to be in with a shout for a title shot if Khabib and Ferguson ever happens. Another slick submission finish from him but his stand up is excellent now and he was dominating Lee in that area too. Nikita Krlov smushed Johnny Walker and there were convincing wins for Burns and Moicano. A fun night of fights in a day bereft of sport, the lack of a crowd didn't seem to hurt the fights in anyway.Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah Oliveira vs Lee was a good one. So happy that Oliveira won. It was a weird one for me going in because I thought he had the better striking technically and he was always the better man on the ground, but I had a bad feeling that Lee was going to catch him andĀ knock him out. Maybe I watched that Gillespie KO too many times though because itā€™s not like Lee wasĀ some knockout machine before that. But yeah, pleasedĀ withĀ this. Lee clearly tappingĀ then trying to carry on fighting was weird though.

Oliveira looked great. Heā€™s been on brilliant form for a while now but him having that main event spotlight here,Ā against a decent name in the division, should hopefully give him that extra little push now to really get in that mix. Imagine Oliveira against Poirier or even Ferguson? Those two matchups in particular sound amazing when you think of the styles.

As for Lee, I donā€™t know where the fuck he goes from here. Heā€™s lost 4 of his last 6 and is now locked out of the title picture at both Lightweight and Welterweight. Seen some MMA media (Fernanda Prates, I think) tweeting that heā€™s saying it might be a good while before we see him fight again. Maybe a couple of years. Not reading too much into that because emotions will be high immediately after a loss, but he does take losses hard. I remember the videos he posted after theĀ Dos Anjos and he was really crushed and seemed about done with fighting.Ā 

Gilbert Burns. Christ. Had a feeling it was going to look something like that. Both elite BJJ artists but the difference maker was always Burnsā€™ dangerous punching power. That plus the fact he wasĀ the younger and more explosive man, something like this was on the cards.Ā But still,Ā it all happened so suddenly. This was the first time anyoneā€™s stopped Demian Maia since the Nate Marquardt KO back in 2009! Burns is on fire at the moment. Thatā€™s 5 wins in a row now.Ā 

Always sucks seeing Maia get beat up though. I read somewhere that his next fight is the last on his contract and heā€™s saying itā€™s ā€œprobablyā€ going to be his swansong. He named Diego Sanchez and Donald Cerrone as potential opponents heā€™s interested in. Whack it on UFC 250 in Brazil, I say. Even though it probably wonā€™t end up in Brazil anyway now this Coronavirus is kicking the worldā€™s arse.Ā 

Moicano vs Hadzovic was hilarious. All done and dusted in under a minute and then theĀ little post-fight exchangeĀ was probablyĀ the highlight of the entire card for me;

Fucking hell. I love everything about it. From the ā€œThen you shouldnā€™t have submitted meā€ from HadzovicĀ to Bisping chuckling in the backgroundĀ šŸ˜‚ and to think if thereā€™d been a crowd there we almost definitely wouldnā€™t have heard any of this. Makes you wonder how many little moments like this weā€™ve missed over the years.

This fight was the first finish of the night as well so it was very welcome after the 9 straight decisions prior to this. The show was becoming a real slog to get through up to this point so this was exactly what the card needed.

Nikita Krylov vs JohnnyĀ Walker can fuck right off. Gutted. I was really hoping Walker would bounce back in style here and get back in the mix. He got caught early against Anderson so whatever. Going off this performance though, heā€™s just not going to be a contender, is he? I still love the weird bastard. Iā€™ve seen twats turning on him now with the old hindsight ā€˜I thought this guy was gonna be a challenger for Jon Jones LOLā€™ stuff. Kiss my bollocks. So easy to shit on him now. Everyone was buzzing at the possibilityĀ of Jones finally having an entertaining contender to play offĀ a few fights ago. Heā€™ll still be entertaining, and I still think he can catch a lot of the top 205ers on a good day. But I think my visions (hopes) of him busting outĀ spinning shit and dance moves all the way to the top are gone. All gone ā˜¹ļø

Still my second favourite 205er now though (until Shogun retires). Heā€™s taking the loss in his stride as well. Bisping posted this;

BC3-F467-E-3-C05-46-D1-BE8-D-E914517489-
Ā 

Rest of the card wasnā€™t much to write home about really.

Brandon Moreno vs Jussier Formiga was enjoyable enough. Pleasantly surprised Moreno won this. Always liked him but had a feeling Formiga might be a tad too crafty for him. Moreno done good. Best win of his career to date.

Iā€™m really liking Amanda Ribas so far. Sheā€™s clearly got some skills, although it remains to be seen how that translates as she moves up the rankings and her opposition gets tougher. I like her though. She really dominated Randa Markos here. Put a right beatdown on her. I doubt she gets that Paige VanZant fight rebooked. I thinkĀ Paige is pretty much done with MMA. Her heart isnā€™t in it. Last I heard she was teasing creepy fans with feet pics on Instagram. Seriously. But yeah, I like Ribas. Her excitement and happiness in interviews is infectious as well. Canā€™t help but want her to do well.

Not a bad card but it was saved by the last 3 fights for me. Iā€™m not one of those ā€˜I WANT KNOCKOUTZ!ā€™ divs and Iā€™mĀ fine with fights going the distance in general. But 9 decisions in a row is just jarring to watch. Luckily, the Moicano-Hadzovic chaos opened the floodgates and it was highly entertaining from there on.Ā