"Accepted" wrestling shithousery

garynysmon

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

did a couple months training when I was a teen, and before we even did a warm up on the first day the teacher gave a little speech about the dangers etc. Was a bloke called Carl Misery I think, he was nice and never pushed me further than I could go

Perhaps he really just wanted to hangout with you Kat, because we all know that Misery loves company. 

19 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

One that seems to be a universal rule: if you, as a fan, step into the ring, expect to be kicked full force in the face.

I guess a forceful spear from a steward is the very least a fan of any sport can expect, if they are stupid enough to go into business for themselves?

1 hour ago, AshC said:

Thing is.... people want to sing, to perform, to wrestle. That's what leads to them being exploited, if you view it that way. People are only ever going to flip burgers for the money. There's the difference.

Well there is a right way and a wrong way to use free work from someone learning. To be a doctor you have to pay to go to university, but some careers you learn with free work. As long as they aren’t just using people it’s fine. You become a dick when taking without giving anything back. 
If a local promoter uses talent as openers for no pay, but help develop them and provide other opportunities it makes sense. It’s all about the attitude of the person in power.

I don’t pay my apprentices with money, I pay them with knowledge and do everything I can to help them progress. Last year I took two of my tattooists on a guest spot to Chicago, helped them every step of the way and got them working in the best studio in the city with me. Their first time working abroad and they wouldn’t have been able to do it without me.

As long as you do everything possible to make sure they are in a better position after working for you, it’s all good. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Here are couple of examples of what i would describe as "Shithousery" that i have noticed at all levels of wrestling, that never seem to change.

1, When you leave wrestling (not just as a wrestler, but any role within wrestling) you VERY quickly become yesterdays news & any hard work is forgotten about, due to you no longer being in a position to help/be exploited.

I'd agree with that for the lower levels, but not the higher ones - seems to me that, if you're established as a big name, absence just makes the heart grow fonder. Look at Rock, Lesnar, CM Punk, etc. 

2 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Carl Misery

That's a name I've not read in ages! Wasn't he at the old Midlands Pro Wrestling? (Not sure, but something at the back of my mind said it was spelt "Carl Mizzery".)

34 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well there is a right way and a wrong way to use free work from someone learning. To be a doctor you have to pay to go to university, but some careers you learn with free work. As long as they aren’t just using people it’s fine. You become a dick when taking without giving anything back. 
If a local promoter uses talent as openers for no pay, but help develop them and provide other opportunities it makes sense. It’s all about the attitude of the person in power.

I don’t pay my apprentices with money, I pay them with knowledge and do everything I can to help them progress. Last year I took two of my tattooists on a guest spot to Chicago, helped them every step of the way and got them working in the best studio in the city with me. Their first time working abroad and they wouldn’t have been able to do it without me.

As long as you do everything possible to make sure they are in a better position after working for you, it’s all good. 

Yeah, but not everyone's a Good Plant-Based Substitute Egg like you are, and there's been very little legislation to force employers to behave themselves and use the internship system the proper way, i.e. like you do - exchanging initially lower-skilled labour for training, professional experience, and career progression. A lot of them (probably most) have simply exploited it as a way of conning young people and/or novices out of free labour. I know the laws were changed a few years ago so that an employer is now required to pay an intern after three months, but with the current crop of bastards in power, that means very little - if it hasn't been repealed yet, it soon will be.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Cosying up to Donald Trump and Mohammad Bin Salman Al Saud is beyond the pale for me, hence dropping WWE after a lifetime of guiltily turning a blind eye to everything else they've done. I also gave up NWA Powerrr after somebody here mentioned Billy Corgan frequently rubbing shoulders with Sandy Hook conspiracy peddler Alex Jones. You are the company you keep, and with the world going the way it is, I'm past supporting or condoning shit like that. There's too much at stake these days. If it didn't matter before, it does now.

I don't get it.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, LWOLeN said:

I wonder if those internships also have a disclaimer related to ‘fucked up knees’, ‘bad backs’,‘concussions’, ‘elbow chips’, ‘bulging discs’, ‘hernia’s’, ‘torn ligaments’, broken hands etc.

My internships were all paid btw. It wasn’t much, but at least something to get me by in life....

Atleast you have insurance as an intern at Subway or whatever when something drops on your head....

How long do most professional footballers, rugby players, boxers, MMA fighters, etc., train and perform unpaid before making any money from it? 

17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's a name I've not read in ages! Wasn't he at the old Midlands Pro Wrestling? (Not sure, but something at the back of my mind said it was spelt "Carl Mizzery".)

I think it might have been Mizzery actually, he used to do double duty as a Kane style character called Rigor Mortis too I think. I went to K-Star in Brum, so he was West Midlands based 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I'd agree with that for the lower levels, but not the higher ones - seems to me that, if you're established as a big name, absence just makes the heart grow fonder. Look at Rock, Lesnar, CM Punk, etc. 

The only reason for being "missed" within the wrestling business is if you can still draw well on your return. You do get genuine friendships that last the test of time & have no strings attached, but these are the exception, not the norm.

Kurt Angle once said about leaving the WWE to go to TNA "Everyone in the WWE were crying & shaking my hand & pledging their undying love to me, then Pat Patterson took me to one side & said..."You will find out within two weeks who your true friends are around here"
"Within a week of leaving the WWE, the only person who contacted me was Shawn Daivari & within two weeks it had dropped to none because they had sacked Shawn"

I am talking about colleagues within wrestling, not fans. Fans are far more loyal to people in wrestling, than people in wrestling are to each other. 

• Paid Members

Is not paying talent even THAT accepted in the wrestling business? I get that it happens but I've rarely seen it spoken about with anything less than disgust, at least in the modern era. The only exception that comes to mind would be New Japan's Young Boys, which is pretty much the definition of an apprenticeship, and has a pretty good success rate as far as I'm aware.

It's certainly not something that's exclusive to wrestling. I went to see my mate kickbox once and he got paid fuck all for it, despite being in the Main Event, and there being a really good crowd there. That was after being in training for nearly a year as well, because the fight kept getting postponed. That's some proper shithousery there.

Actually, I know loads of Chefs who've worked for free as well, myself included.

3 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

The only reason for being "missed" within the wrestling business is if you can still draw well on your return. You do get genuine friendships that last the test of time & have no strings attached, but these are the exception, not the norm.

Kurt Angle once said about leaving the WWE to go to TNA "Everyone in the WWE were crying & shaking my hand & pledging their undying love to me, then Pat Patterson took me to one side & said..."You will find out within two weeks who your true friends are around here"
"Within a week of leaving the WWE, the only person who contacted me was Shawn Daivari & within two weeks it had dropped to none because they had sacked Shawn"

I am talking about colleagues within wrestling, not fans. Fans are far more loyal to people in wrestling, than people in wrestling are to each other. 

That's just life in general isn't it? Over the years, I can count on one hand how many former co-workers I've kept in regular contact with and even that's mostly through social media or is work related. Doesn't mean that I dislike them or anything. It just is what it is.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I think it might have been Mizzery actually, he used to do double duty as a Kane style character called Rigor Mortis too I think. I went to K-Star in Brum, so he was West Midlands based 

Yep, I trained at same school. Got the same speech too. He was fair, friendly but firm, which is what you need when teaching something as dangerous and layered as pro wrestling.

At a show, one of the trainees dobbed Carl out to the audience about pulling double-duty as Mizery/Rigor Mortis and he did a runner when he found out about how pissed Carl was about it.

Edited by Accident Prone

17 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

That's just life in general isn't it? Over the years, I can count on one hand how many former co-workers I've kept in regular contact with and even that's mostly through social media or is work related. Doesn't mean that I dislike them or anything. It just is what it is.

Yeah that is a fair point regarding the real world, but there is a level of phoniness in wrestling that i never really felt comfortable with. Compound that with working in what i would describe as  a "fantasy bullshit world", then you have the politics & stupid rules that seem have no bearing on outside of wrestling.

Also backstabbing, arse licking & ribs. Little wonder that i quit, never to return :(