Anybody do BJJ ?

RancidPunx

• Paid Members

I did it for a couple of years way back in the day (mid 2000s) and really loved it. I was already training traditional jiu-jitsu when the school brought over a genuine BJJ black belt from Brazil. At that time there were hardly any black belts training in the UK, but I imagine there must be loads now. I only advanced as far as a couple of stripes on my white belt but was proud enough with that. The lad moved back to Brazil eventually and so regretfully I just stopped training. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Doesn't @wandshogun09 do BJJ?

I do. Well, did. Haven’t been in ages though. Meant to get back on it in the new year but haven’t even looked at a gym in 2020 yet. I started going in about 2014, but I’m not much good and, with how infrequently I actually go, I doubt I’ll ever advance much belt-wise. I really enjoy it when I do go though. Wish I’d got into it when I was younger and had more free time.

I know @David did/does BJJ but not sure how long, what belt etc. If he grapples like he debates on here then I wouldn’t want to be on the mat with him. 

• Moderators

I do. Been doing it for about 2 and a half years now, got a blue belt that I barely felt I deserved. Mostly find I suck but thats part of the process. The place I train is pretty chill and am lucky to have a coach who is a 4th degree black belt who is just insanely good but also an extremely nice person.

I did as part of other programs for about 7 years and was super enthusiastic but ultimately not very good. Never went to a grading/assessment with the Gracie Barra black belt we were affiliated to so never got so much as a stripe. 

I fell out with my long time coach and never found another gym I was as comfortable in so it's been about 9 years since I did anything. I keep thinking about joining a boxing or catch gym but I'm not confident that I wouldn't shit a lung at this point!

To the folks that do......

What age did you start at ?

I’m 39 but physically I’m fine. Not overweight and so far I’ve been able to keep up fine with the rest of the class. Any tips for what you do for rest and recovery ?

Also, what tips would you give a brand new white belt ? 

Is it better to drill “both sides” also ? Seen some say “do it always” and other say “wait till you get on better one side first”

Doing both sides seems to make logical sense . 

Edited by RancidPunx

I used to train quite a bit in BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA until I had a kid/bought a house/life got in the way...
I was awarded my blue belt by Braulio Estima, but never made it to purple.

White belt tips?
Don't be afraid to tap if you are completely trapped rather than risking injury, but give yourself chance to try and find a way out.
Use technique over power, muscling-out of situations only helps when you are rolling with smaller/weaker partners, and when you get to competition you will be against guys your own size.
Relax, the more you panic the quicker you get drained.
Find what works for you, I'm built like a daddy-longlegs, so I always preferred pulling guard and working from there rather than trying to smother from top position.
If you do get injured take time off and rest, you might feel like you are missing-out, but ultimately you are just going to slow down recovery or make things worse....heck, you could still go to class to watch/learn but just not actively roll.