Great but minor moments that don't get talked about enough

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Sadly I think 99% of today's stars just lack that cheer star power and charisma. 

Hogan, and rock and even Kane (to a far lesser degree) piss it in droves. 

Vince and Co would sell their grandkids for a few stars the likes of hogan, Austin, flair, rock, savage, warrior to turn up on their door. 

Hell even a low mid card guy like Rick Martell has 100000x more star power and charisma than today's lot

From everything I've read on here, and what little I've seen of WWE over the past few years, I really don't think it's that at all. It seems like it's purely down to WWE seemingly losing the ability to make stars like they used to. Roman Reigns has a shit-ton of charisma, as does Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley, and even Seth Rollins has it until he's in the ring. Bray Wyatt certainly does, as does Big E, and Daniel Bryan has that weird, low-key charisma that people just can't help but be drawn to.

Other people who watch WWE more than I do can probably testify better, but just on basic, natural ability alone, I'd argue that, if those guys had been on the rise even as late as 2006, they'd be huge right now.

Agree with Carbomb. Also, nothing influences a crowd like the crowd itself. Most crowds have been silent for the past decade. A hot crowd will pop for anything. The first couple of post-Wrestlemania Raw crowds were a good example of that (yes they got shit eventually). Few things drain the life out of a show like a quiet crowd will. 

That Kane video was tremendous, hadn't seen that before. Kane looked huge next to those two.

6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

From everything I've read on here, and what little I've seen of WWE over the past few years, I really don't think it's that at all. It seems like it's purely down to WWE seemingly losing the ability to make stars like they used to. Roman Reigns has a shit-ton of charisma, as does Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley, and even Seth Rollins has it until he's in the ring. Bray Wyatt certainly does, as does Big E, and Daniel Bryan has that weird, low-key charisma that people just can't help but be drawn to.

Other people who watch WWE more than I do can probably testify better, but just on basic, natural ability alone, I'd argue that, if those guys had been on the rise even as late as 2006, they'd be huge right now.

CB you seriously think that list you've mentioned have are in the same universe, Charisma, look and star power of hogan, rock, Austin, flair, savage, warrior etc. 

You are kidding right??? 

2 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

CB you seriously think that list you've mentioned have are in the same universe, Charisma, look and star power of hogan, rock, Austin, flair, savage, warrior etc. 

You are kidding right??? 

For kids now who are the age you were when you were watching them, probably.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

You are kidding right??? 

That's not even close to what he wrote.

You said that the present lot lack charisma, which isn't true at all. Reigns, in particular, is an amazing all rounder. The problem is that WWE has lost the ability to present people in a way that their audience will accept. That's not down to the talent.

Would any of the guys you listed get over if they were given stop start pushes, scripted promos and 50/50 booking? I'm not sure Warrior would even make the main roster, given his tendency to hurt people.

The Shield were utter fucking superstars. They were on top of the world in that initial run. I can’t think of another act in the last decade they built as well as them, and took the time to present as something special and unique. Roman and Dean in particular seemed destined to be the next big thing. They should have been fucking rockstars. They did nothing but lose their way after the split - which was an idiotic angle that I’d still argue happened too soon. By the end of 2014 they were already shells of their former selves. Cool as fuck Roman was telling fairy tales and his push was so counterproductive you’d swear it was sabotage. Ambrose become the goof who couldn’t get the job done when it mattered and was already looking dejected.

I recently rewatched that Smackdown where they turned up to the O2 in a helicopter. I almost shed a tear watching them swagger into the arena, looking like the coolest boy band on Earth. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

The Shield were utter fucking superstars. They were on top of the world in that initial run. I can’t think of another act in the last decade they built as well as them, and took the time to present as something special and unique. Roman and Dean in particular seemed destined to be the next big thing. They should have been fucking rockstars. They did nothing but lose their way after the split - which was an idiotic angle that I’d still argue happened too soon. By the end of 2014 they were already shells of their former selves. Cool as fuck Roman was telling fairy tales and his push was so counterproductive you’d swear it was sabotage. Ambrose become the goof who couldn’t get the job done when it mattered and was already looking dejected.

I recently rewatched that Smackdown where they turned up to the O2 in a helicopter. I almost shed a tear watching them swagger into the arena, looking like the coolest boy band on Earth. 

The only thing I'd disagree with is that the split happened too soon. I thought it happened at the perfect time. They'd beaten everybody as a team, including one of the best stables in WWE history in Evolution in straight falls the night before. Payback 2014 ended with them 100% looking like the three top guys in the industry.

The problem was the follow up. In addition to what happened to Roman and Ambrose as you said, Rollins went from being "The Architect", the genius behind the Shield, to Triple H and Stephanie's bitch. His heel run was one of the worst I've ever seen. He came across like the worst wrestler in the world, who needed The Authority do everything for him, and who they all treated like a minor annoyance. Nobody could get over with booking like that.

I think they left money on the table by not running with them as babyfaces for longer. They could have done plenty if they were creative enough with it. It’s not like it needed to be a hard split.

Yeah, spot on about Rollins . Him being a paper champion during that period fucked up the main event scene something rotten.

31 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

The problem was the follow up.

Couldn't be more accurate. It's a testament to this that I remember explicitly going on one day about how they were clearly saving a Shield triple threat for the main event of WrestleMania, only to be reminded that it had already happened on some Battleground throwaway B-ppv when the Draft had just happened and everyone was talking about that instead.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

You are kidding right??? 

I seriously do, JRPO. Unfitfinlay said it best, but their natural talent and how they've been presented are two separate things. I really do think that, say, Roman Reigns had been around the turn of the millennium, he'd have many more memorable moments, feuds, and matches under his belt, and he'd be considered a legend now. As it is, it seems he's a diamond that's been polished badly. 

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I think they left money on the table by not running with them as babyfaces for longer. They could have done plenty if they were creative enough with it. It’s not like it needed to be a hard split.

Yeah, spot on about Rollins . Him being a paper champion during that period fucked up the main event scene something rotten.

Agreed. They could have gone their separate ways without one turning on the others. Then, when a new threat has been built that’s bigger than any one of them (Lesnar) they assemble and take it down together. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Those Stasiak moments were so well done. And fair play to Planet Stasiak for pretty much literally throwing himself into the role.

And whilst we do talk about the greatness of Booker T and Goldust, it does feel like, considering how awesome they were, we don't talk enough about their segments. My absolute favourite being this: