Soapbox thread

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

People who stop for a chat in inconvenient places. Like blocking a narrow bit of pavement or standing casually at the top of the stairs in a train station blocking everyone from getting past.

In a similar vein, people who walk slowly along the street looking at their phone and not the pavement in front of them, effectively blocking the people behind and nearly walking into the people in front of them. 

Also, people who don't willingly give up their seats for pregnant, elderly or disabled people on trains. Cunts.

Sorry, being an old curmudgeon today.

• Paid Members

Aggressive Salespeople in shops. When I want your help or I’m ready to buy something, I’ll find you. No need for 4 different people to ask for their help, especially when they can see someone has already asked me.

it might just be to do with my anxiety but I just hate pushy people. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

What’s wrong with letting people enjoy what they want?

No need to apologise, that’s what a discussions for.

Well what we're doing now is discussing something. I've taken a side and so have you. It creates a dialogue and allows for constructive, often entertaining (often...not), critique and analysis.

If someone brings up that their favourite comedy film is 'Grown Ups', I should be allowed to say "Whoa, Arley Barley! Fucking what!?!..." and go on about why the film is rubbish, creating a discussion. If someone does the whole "Sssssshhh! Let people enjoy things!" routine then that convo is killed dead and David Spade is allowed to roam the Earth freely.

It's also a pretty crap way of deflecting any constructive critique as it's akin to the "You're just a hater!" response.

Edited by Accident Prone

I don’t quite get why people get so precious over things like music and films. Whether someone else likes or hates something has no impact on how I view it. It’s like when someone says “I think that band are shit” and gets the reply “Oh yeah? Well who do you like, then?”  What does it matter? Will you start disliking them to spite me?

I guess that’s why I object to being called a snob. A snob is someone who thinks they have better taste whereas I’m an elitist. I couldn’t give a shit about what you think. 

21 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Well what we're doing now is discussing something. I've taken a side and so have you. It creates a dialogue and allows for constructive, often entertaining (often...not), critique and analysis.

If someone brings up that their favourite comedy film is 'Grown Ups', I should be allowed to say "Whoa, Arley Barley! Fucking what!?!..." and go on about why the film is rubbish, creating a discussion. If someone does the whole "Sssssshhh! Let people enjoy things!" routine then that convo is killed dead and David Spade is allowed to roam the Earth freely.

It's also a pretty crap way of deflecting any constructive critique as it's akin to the "You're just a hater!" response.

No, I do agree. I suppose my point was more around gatekeeping in terms of things like people arguing that if you’re watching films dubbed and not subtitled then you’re doing it wrong.

Or people getting annoyed at people wearing band t-shirts if they don’t even know that band etc. Which is quite prevalent in metal and punk. 

I used to be a right little elitist when I was younger and got annoyed when my favourite little bands “blew up”, as I wrongly saw them as “my band”. Nowadays I really don’t care if Primark sell Slipknot t-shirts.

As @Keith Houchen said there’s nothing wrong with people disliking things at all. I suppose my point was more towards snobbishness and gatekeeping rather than not actually being allowed to disagree with people. That’s all.

• Paid Members

Ah, fair enough then. I still needed to get that rant of my chest, as I've been bumping into these "Everything is good!" knobs a lot lately. You were the unfortunate catalyst, SB.

I too used to get really precious about "my" bands getting big. Now I don't really care if a band I like dilutes their sound for a wider audience/more cash, but I will go on about how their older stuff is still better.

People who don't understand the concept of 'this store is now closed' and try to continue shopping for up to 15 minutes longer past closing time despite being told by two members of staff and security guards. It's annoying for us at the best of times but we are 3 weeks into a store wide refurb so parts of the store are missing and there is scaffolding around so we ourselves want to get shit done and get home before the workies start rolling in for the night

By far the worse place I've ever worked for that was in a video shop where we'd be closing the shutters and cashing up whilst customers wandered around in the dark due to some bullshit rule about having to stay open ten minutes after closing time.

Even on the post you have people running in to post offices as I'm emptying them asking me to wait 5 minutes. Dicks.

A current pet peeve is people who don't leave feedback on eBay.

I like to know that what I've sent to someone has arrived safely as it gives me piece of mind that the item hasn't been lost in the mail.  Also if I don't received feedback within a few days of the item being sent I start thinking that I'm dealing with some scammer who's going to claim that they've not received the item.

Takes less than thirty seconds to do, is something I consider common courtesy, but fewer and fewer people tend to be leaving it these days (just over two weeks ago I sold five items on eBay, only one person has bothered to leave feedback).

• Paid Members

@tiger_rick There's a lot of that type of shit at my work. My manager especially. He throws tea bags in the sink despite the bin being right next to the sink, so when it's time to wash up we have to dig cold damp teabags out that have been left there all day. And he throws half of his tea out the window onto the grass, then takes the empty cup and puts it in the sink!

The fact it is so irrational and daft boils my blood more than anything. Tip your tea down the sink if you're going to the fucking sink!

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

I like to know that what I've sent to someone has arrived safely as it gives me piece of mind that the item hasn't been lost in the mail.  Also if I don't received feedback within a few days of the item being sent I start thinking that I'm dealing with some scammer who's going to claim that they've not received the item.

Takes less than thirty seconds to do, is something I consider common courtesy, but fewer and fewer people tend to be leaving it these days (just over two weeks ago I sold five items on eBay, only one person has bothered to leave feedback).

Oops. I leave feedback but I tend to do it in batches. Everyone seems to have about 3000 stars these days, so I'm much more lax with it.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

EBay doesn't prompt you to do it as much as it used to. You used to have to do it to clear your queue, so I will admit I've got a bit lazy with it.