Most Underrated Tag Team

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Headshrinkers. End of own thread.

Seriously. They were bloody brilliant. That match with the Steiners at WM9 is one of the more forgotten gems in Mania history. Fuck knows why they were always fannying about with low card shit. Them and the Steiners should have just ripped it up in 1993 and early 1994, swapping the titles in ever-increasing red hot matches. They had ample amounts of shitarse teams to feed to them too.

Two big hosses who looked great, worked better, had a bit of wow factor and a decent manager. Criminally under valued by the company first and foremost and not given enough love.

Now, let's have your incorrect suggestions.

Yes, you have indeed won. It’s the first team I thought of when I read the title/before I opened the thread. Absolutely brilliant team, athletic, massive, great gimmick & look. Also very believable. In a world full of racist/cartoon gimmicks with people that looked like parodies, these, inc AFA, looked mint and legit (for wrestling). I’m still gutted that we didn’t get to see Yoko join them as Kokina as planned. Saying that, it leads me on to arguably my favourite team of all time...

Owen & Yoko

Now whilst they had the titles and people have fond memories, I still think they were underrated, and that’s likely because Yoko was near his tipping point and Owens team with Bulldog was class. Whilst I’m really fond of Owen & Bulldog, I have a massive soft spot for Owen & Yoko. 
The idea that the companies two biggest ribbers (Owen & Fuji) being in a team is mint enough, but when you add that to Owens cheeky charisma and in ring ability, with the sheer mass and power of Yokozuna, who had feuded with Owens brother/nemesis, Bret. Then throw Cornette’s twatty, shouty, annoying face in to the mix.

What a team it really was. I think it’s possibly one of the best of the 90’s, but never really gets added to that discussion, so that’s why I think they were underrated. Not unnoticed, but defo underrated. Under appreciated is probably the best phrase to use.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

There's definitely better nominations but the first one I thought of was 2 Cold Scorpio and Marcus Bagwell. Really enjoyed them watching old WCW stuff.

Yeah, when I was rewatching a load of WCW from 92/93, they were a way better team than I remembered and had really good matches with pretty much everyone at the time. 

810EB35D-D8E7-4074-A642-627E4428FAA0.gif

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

New Day and Usos. Because of their era, people won't rate them as highly as the tag teams from their childhood, but they're far better.

Yeah but they've had five billion meaningless matches on TV more than any team in history which will massively balance it out. 

• Paid Members

Batista and Flair's tag run was really good. A forgotten part of the Evolution package. Even putting aside the countless great multi-man tags they were involved in that year, had some traditional tag crackers with Benoit/Michaels and two weeks running with Benoit/Edge. Was fun seeing Flair get back into the full-time groove and Batista rapidly improving week-to-week.

The answer is the Wild Bunch, Joel Deaton & Billy Black...

...but because few will have heard of them I'll nominate PG-13 and the FBI.

PG-13 were so much more than the Nation's rappers who got killed by the LOD on Raw and thrived in the USWA, ECW, latter day Smoky Mountain and were genuine highlights of WCW 'C' shows in 2000.  They could brawl, do comedy, straight up Southern tag wrestling and few were better at riling an audience than J.C. Ice.

By FBi, I'm referring to the Little Guido and Tony Mamaluke team.  They had some absolute bangers against Mikey Whipwreck & Tajiri in ECW as well as Danny Doring & Roadkill, and Mamaluke was a phenomenal bump taker.  Guido could hang with anyone on the mat, had a stiffness to his offense and like his partner, could sell his ass off.  If anyone has the time or inclination, search out their series with the Unholy Alliance (from the 9/8 TNN show, the Anarchy Rulz match and the one from 12/24 Hardcore TV).

• Paid Members

I'm ready for the mockery, but Head Cheese. 

Al Snow back when he could be arsed, plus Steve Blackman playing straight man. Both could deliver in the ring.

Yeah they were never going to be all time greats, but it was fun while it lasted.

Others listed here were better, but they got the plaudits. Head Cheese never and so are more under rated.

Edited by ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

I really didn't like Owen and Yoko. A visual mismatch and they just generally remind me of a time when WWF was a bit crap. 

I've always preferred Powers of Pain to Demolition. How can you not just love Warlord? And for that matter, Barbarian? Plus I enjoy their slightly perplexing name. 

• Paid Members

Devastated that we didn't get more of Haku and Barbarian as a team in 1991. They were a brilliant duo. Especially silly considering in 1991 you had the Rockers and Hart Foundation splitting and Demos had come to the end of their run. The tag division was in horrendous shape into 1992 and they just chucked away a cracking team with these two.

Not a fan of Owen and Yoko either. Pity they didn't have the idea of Owen and Bulldog much earlier.