Fantasy Draft 2020 Edition

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I know this comes up all the time but figured the landscape has changed enough in the past couple of years to justify a run out. Usual scenario, you're starting up a big new wrestling promotion, who are your "draft picks". I've put a spin on it to hopefully change it up a bit:

* 3 Wrestlers you'd build the top of the card around

* 3 Wrestlers you'd build the middle around

* 3 Tag teams you'd build your tag scene around

* 3 Women you'd build around

* 1 Wildcard - pick any wrestler from the past, alive or dead, to drop in with the others at the top of the card.

My picks:

Brock Lesnar, Bray Wyatt, Jon Moxley.

Lesnar is a no-brainer. Still the best draw and name in the business. Wyatt has the size, the creativity and the work to carry any feud or angle and you could do anything with him because he's that good. Moxley is another absolute cert for me. So talented, great look (now), good work, great promos. Just impossible to book badly. I agonised a little bit about Styles Bryan and Reigns who'd have been certs before but none of them excite me currently.

Velveteen Dream, Matt Riddle, Jungle Boy.

Three ultra talented guys. Dream has some size and incredible character work. Riddle has the work, legit credentials and can go either way. Jungle Boy is just going to be the best white meat babyface in the business. All will be massive stars but for utter incompetence.

Lucha Brothers, Heavy Machinery, New Day.

Luchas are great. Pentagon would be better on his own but this is a toofer so a must-have. I love Otis, I'd take the other guy to get him. New Day is a 3 for 2 and you can break Big E out of the pack so another no brainer.

Becky Lynch, Lacey Evans, Rhea Ripley.

Not as set on these three. Might change my mind on a couple of them. Becky is one of the biggest stars in the game. Be very interesting to see her in any other environment. Lacey has a great look and backstory. Work isn't there but few others excite me so she's in. Ripley's work and look are good. Character needs work but she's super promising.

* 1 Wildcard

Randy Savage. Was tempted by Lawler because he's completely different to what I have but it's got to be Savage. I'd love to see his work in modern wrestling. He was quick and a bundle of energy but with serious smarts about what to do and when and sold incredibly. Plus he already plans out all the matches so would work well with the others.

Go nuts. Wonder if there'll be any consensus?

Edited by tiger_rick

Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk. If I can't have Punk here, then swap him for Edge. Reigns is the biggest full-time star of the last five years, with the presence and quality that can't be matched. Works brilliantly as heel, babyface or both at the same time. Bryan is also superb in any role. And Edge (or Punk) is my veteran/nostalgia guy.

Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega and Kevin Owens. Omega's shat the bed booking himself, so I'd have him here with an eye to elevating him if he's any good. Jericho is a move to take away AEW's big name, like I've done with WWE at the top of my card. And between the list, the bubbly, the belly etc, there's loads of material for Y2J to add good content to my show. Owens is a great all-rounder. I'd have had Pete Dunne as my fourth, and I'd consider replacing any of the others with him.

New Day, Miz & Morrison, and Braun Strowman/Drake Maverick. New Day, I'd say, are easily the greatest tag team of all time at this point, you get the 3 for 2 value, and at least two of the three can be put into the singles mix when needed. Miz and Morrison also have that ability to be singles as well as tag teams, and Miz in particular is a godsend for both entertaining content on the show and for external promotion. I've gone with Braun and Drake as my third team - I know they're not a tag team currently, but I really want them to be. If they're a cop-out pick, then swap them for Moustache Mountain (British Strong Style if I can get away with another trio).

Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair and Ronda Rousey. They're the main three, aren't they? My only concern would be that there's no novelty left in Becky vs Charlotte, and Rousey would only be making sporadic appearances. I'd just feel like I'd let myself down if I had cart blanche and didn't go for them. It'd maybe just be a short term thing, where Charlotte builds up a world title reign like her dad, helping to elevate some of the lower card, and Becky and Ronda do their singles feud. 

* 1 Wildcard - pick any wrestler from the past, alive or dead, to drop in with the others at the top of the card.

The Rock - he's the biggest possible draw to the new promotion, and based on who I've got already, there's plenty to work with in terms of history/connections as well as new interactions.

Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman and Chris Jericho. Roman is THE man, has the look, the in-ring talent, the mic skills if he can actually talk properly by himself etc. Braun is the man mountain, the what Kane was in '97 to '99. Just a monster, should be unbeatable though and a top contender. Chris Jericho for promos, storylines, basically everything else.

Daniel Bryan, John Moxley and Seth Rollins. With Daniel Bryan being the massive draw that he is as a babyface, he would be a great opponent for a heel rollins and a heel moxley. As well as the sick matches moxley can put on without sanction.

New Day, The Uso's and The Hardy Boyz. Let's face it, the Hardy's will always be better as a team and even in 2020 they could put on an epic tag team match i reckon. Uso's are just amazing in the ring and on the mic so would be fantastic opponents at showing off their aerial skills against them, as well as New Day just being super over and incredibly hot, as well as such a draw. 

Alexa Bliss, Ronda Rousey and Mickie James. Using the veteran Mickie James for experience and knowledge, getting the other 2 over would be easy. I'm sure both would take an ass kicking from Rousey too. Alexa is great on the mic and can hold my attention when wrestling.  

The Rock. One of the biggest names on the planet. Probably the best talker of all time. The draw he would have as well as how fucking amazing the dude can be in the ring, no way i could leave him out. Dude could put over a broomstick. 

3 Wrestlers to build your company around:

Psycho Orton. Killer heel at the top of the card for the first year. Brock Lesnar. Have him wrestle three or four times a year. Have Orton go over Lesnar at the first Steakmania in the best double turn since Bret vs Austin. Thirdly, it'd be a badass Roman Reigns. I'd build the company around Reigns.

3 Wrestlers to build the mid card around:

Jericho, Daniel Bryan and AJ Styles. Three of the best who can work with anyone and make them look great.

3 tag teams 

I'd have a bitter heel team of Rollins & Ambrose; try and get some mileage out of Matt and Jeff Hardy, and push a new team with a couple of younger guys.

Women

Becky, Charlotte, Alexa Bliss

Wildcard

CM Punk. Would love to see a program with Punk and Orton at the top of their games.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns and Cody Rhodes

It was a struggle to pick a top 3 and while there are definitely bigger stars that I could have selected for my top picks, I'm happy with this line-up. Bryan is the best babyface in recent memory, Reigns has the potential to be a fantastic top heel and Cody has shown a real aptitude for creative in AEW. I'd want to utilise his skills in that area. Also, Bryan would contractually be obliged to host a post-show alongside Renee Young who I'm also signing. 

Drew McIntyre, Nick Aldis and Darby Allin. Each man offers something different, and all three have the potential to break into the main event scene. Aldis would be a phenomenal secondary champion, and McIntyre and Allin would compliment him well. There's also something about the idea of a Reigns/Allin feud that really appeals to me. 

The New Day, The Lucha Bros and Jurassic Express

The New Day means I get Big E. He'd eventually break out and become a world champion. The Lucha Bros give me Pentagon Jr. They'd also break-out. The Jurassic Express would give me Luchasaurus who would also...god, I'm going to treat my tag division like Vince McMahon, aren't I?

Becky Lynch, Ronda Rousey and Thunder Rosa

If Rousey is available, she's a no-brainer. Becky would be one of the top faces in my company, and Thunder Rosa has been really impressive for the NWA. I really like what she has to offer. 

Eddie Guerrero - I was going to pick John Cena for this, and do the heel turn purely for publicity but my heart has overruled my head here. I feel like there's so much more that I didn't get to see from Eddie, and the prospect of Eddie/Reigns, Eddie/Bryan and even Eddie/Pentagon Jr really appeals to me. 

This choice totally ruins my face/heel balance, but fuck it. You've given me the ability to raise the dead, @tiger_rick. Of course I'm going to use it. 

• Paid Members

Killer Kross, Cody Rhodes and Angel Garza

Cody seems to be able to just sell a match so well with promos and segments and he's a steady hand at the top of a card. Kross just has this menacing, crazy look to him that sets him out as someone who can be dangerous and Garza is just a charisma machine who could work as a despicable bad guy with cockiness or a Latino fire babyface. 

Jungle Boy, Brian Pillman Jr, Jacob Fatu

Three names I think could become huge in the next few years, Pillman seems to have his Dad's charisma, JB will become the best babyface in the business and Fatu is an absolute machine from a wrestling legacy who can do some fantastically agile things. 

Heavy Machinery, Grizzled Young Vets, Roppongi 3K

Personally just 3 teams I enjoy watching and think add different things to a division but could mesh well. 

Rhea Ripley, Alexa Bliss, Charlotte Flair

Flair is a no brainer for the legacy and name she brings as well as the talent, with Ripley easily as one of the best breakout stars around right now. Bliss has somewhat proved recently she can play sympathetic face more than people thought, but even with things like a Moment of Bliss she has multiple uses. 

* 1 Wildcard - pick any wrestler from the past, alive or dead, to drop in with the others at the top of the card.

Bruiser Brody. 

The guy was a maniac in the ring, having someone who can have that wildman brawl, destroy some jobbers and build as a rare occasion super antagonist would be excellent. Put someone with him to be the mouthpiece and you have gold. 

• Awards Moderator

Brock Lesnar, Becky Lynch, Kevin Owens. Lesnar is the absolute bollocks and always will be. Becky, with the right booking, could be the the best face and heel for years to come. Her mic work and off-screen content is top drawer. Owens and his dad-bod could be the best thing in wrestling with a bit of focus. Turn him into a mental bastard and he could have barnstormers with Brock.

Rollins, Daniel Bryan, Velveteen Dream. Seth - as good as he's been lately - just won't ever be accepted in the big boys' playground. But he's a great hand. Bryan's Bryan. Nobody comes close to what he can bring to the table. Dream is fucking off the map, but I couldn't see him as the top draw.

Usos. Without an apostrophe. Not arsed about anyone else. These lads are incredible. But if I have to give three, Undisputed Era and the ones who chinned the bloke who went for Bret Hart. They're good.

Becky aside, it's Asuka, Rhea Ripley and Baszler for me. All believable murderers who would sit well on either side of the good/bad fence.

Rock. Come on. I mean, who else?

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Brock Lesnar, Daniel Bryan and Cody Rhodes.

Brock because he is the undisputed best when he's motivated to be, with an aura like nobody else.

Bryan because, for so many years, he's been so good, whether as a face or heel.

Cody because he'd bring an old-school mentality that means people will get into his matches regardless of whether they're 'good' matches or not.

PAC, Andrade 'Cien' Almas and Tyler Bate.

PAC because he's utterly fantastic as a bastard heel and almost always has the best match on the card.

Andrade because, when given the chance, is spectacular to watch. Do I get Zelina if I get Andrade? Yes? Thanks.

Bate because every time he's in a big match he is one of the very, very best. Superb underdog.

Undisputed Era, Jurassic Express and Imperium.

UE, I would specifically be looking at Roderick Strong and Kyle O'Reilly, because of that amazing run of Takeover openers they had.

Jurassic Express because how rare is it when you have a team where both guys could be standout stars in the future? I'm fucking off Marko Stunt, though. He is NOT getting in my company.

Imperium, again, it's specifically Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner, as a team greater than the sum of their parts. If it means I can get the other two in sometime, then great.

Shayna Baszler, Rhea Ripley and Bianca Belair.

Shayna because she's a pure heel and could be the women's division's Lesnar.

Ripley because she's the badass babyface to stand up to the pure heel.

Belair because she is going to be something special, especially if she keeps improving at the rate she has been.

It's got to be Eddie Guerrero. Put him against any of the other men I've mentioned here and he'd have a classic. He'd fit in anywhere, he could do anything. Eddie.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Bray - Superb character worker and when utilised right is just tremendous. 

Jon Moxley - I love Moxley, so much upside to him and a brilliant character.

Daniel Bryan - I am not a huge Bryan fan but I can appreciate how brilliant he is. He would be my top face.

PAC - probably the best worker in the world. Utter bastard of a man.

Cody - I want Cody for his mind and ability to tell a story, he is average in ring but that's ok for me. 

Jacob Fatu - I love a big bloke who can move and Fatu is amazing at it. He will be a star in a few years. Really wanted Harper buy I think Fatu has more upside.

I want a proper tag division as for me tag wrestling is the best. That said.

The Revival - Love these guys and they are obviously students of the game when it comes to tag team matches. 

The Usos - Best tag team in the world these two, cannot have a tag division without them. 

Santana and Ortiz - matches against the Usos would be very tasty. Loads of charisma and both good in ring. 

Becky Lynch - has shown what a star she can be when given the chance. 

Shanya - So believable and legit.

Alexa Bliss - Alexa has so much appeal and is a good worker to boot.  

* 1 Wildcard

Stan Hansen - Stan would be my grizzled vet who still smacks the young lads around. 

Ooh, I love this kind of thing. As shit as the 2K games are, I spend a lot of time in Universe Mode making my own promotion/rosters.

Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho, Kenny Omega

Lesnar has the legit presence and credibility, Jericho has the uncanny ability to make anything work and deliver great promos, Omega brings the workrate and flashy style. Leave Kenny out of the booking meetings and you've got a major star.

Velveteen Dream, Ricochet, Aleister Black

Dream has the incredible character/charisma, Ricochet is the modern day Rey Mysterio type that wows crowds and kids with his crazy flips and shit- might even stick him back under the Prince Puma mask. Black has that badass aura and MMA influence and his character would cover that dark/gothic element that Undertaker brings in WWE.

Birds of Prey, Lucha Bros, Usos

Taking the Birds of Prey is a bit of a cheeky move to get Will Ospreay, but his tag team with Robbie Eagles is a genuinely great one. Penta and Fenix are the best thing tag wrestling has today, and the Usos aren't far behind when they can get out of their own way with legal troubles.

Asuka, Bianca Belair, Alexa Bliss

We've got one of the best between the ropes in Asuka- also with that eye-catching presentation with all the colours. Someone to build around for the future, and a big time powerhouse in Belair. And Bliss is there because she looks great on the posters, charismatic and well-spoken... she'd be a great representative for my company with the media.

Eddie Guerrero

Could do anything. Incredible in the ring, great with promos, heel or face, funny or serious... would love to see him against the modern day crop of talent.