UFC 248: Adesanya vs Romero - Mar 7 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Zhang vs JJ also overshadowed the Klose vs Dariush fight that proceeded it. What a brawl that was! 

yeh, Rogan and DC went in hard on the 'give those boys fight of the night' schpiel too. Dariush got his bonus though.

Dariush is always in great fights, he never gets the praise he's due just in terms of bringing it every time he fights.

• Paid Members

If nothing else the main event has given us the hilarious "it was him that made it shit" patter after. Both men to blame, neither taking it.

I hate this "I thought Yoel would go all out" stuff Dana and Rogan have come out with since. Yoel has pretty much consistently fought one way since he started getting near the top of the card and it's this. Yes, it's probably cost him a title, but Yoel will probably argue he's done well with it and has very nearly won it. Yoel will never be a blood and guts cardio monster.

The women's title fight is a big old arse trumpet to the talk that women's MMA is dull. Proper contender for fight of the year. Hopefully they see sense and have the next one as soon as JJ's face is back to normal.

3 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

The women's title fight is a big old arse trumpet to the talk that women's MMA is dull. Proper contender for fight of the year. Hopefully they see sense and have the next one as soon as JJ's face is back to normal.

Not really, it was one fight. The majority of the women's matches are the drizzling shits.

• Paid Members

It is a problem. And I’ve been one of the biggest defenders of women’s MMA on here over the years. It’s a cold hard fact though that a fair old chunk of the women’s fights end up being tippy-tappy, lifeless decisions that all look kind of the same. I think it’ll get better but it’s going to take a long time. And even then, some of the divisions are just wastelands and probably always will be. Featherweight is the dregs. Amanda Nunes is great but that 145 division is so shallow that I honestly think she could hold onto that title into her pension years if she wants to, just because who’s going to take it off her? Now Cyborg’s gone nobody even poses a threat.

I’ll take all the snoozers in return for having the likes of Nunes, Valentina Shevchenko, Zhang Weili and Joanna Jedrzejczyk in the game but I have found the women’s fights, below the very top level, have increasingly become a chore to sit through. I very rarely watch UFC shows live anymore and I’ve found myself watching a lot of the women’s fights at the lower end of the divisions on fast forward recently. Stuff like Jessica Andrade vs Rose Namajunas 2 on the next PPV? Cool. I’ll have a bit of that. Veronica Macedo vs Bea Malecki on the Brazil card this weekend? Nah, I’m alright thanks. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, David said:

Not really, it was one fight. The majority of the women's matches are the drizzling shits.

The majority of fights in UFC can be forgettable and shite, that's just what happens when you have to fill all those cards with lesser talent and CM Punk. However, I've read some people pretend because the overall divisions are shallow that somehow negates the calibre of fighter or fights that competes in the top 5 or so of women's MMA. As wand pointed out, Nunes, Sheva, Weili, JJ, Cyborg etc are some of the more exciting fighters in the sport. "One fight" or not (not).

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

The top ends of the divisions are fairly interesting and the current crop of champions are great, but the quality dip as you go down the rankings is huge. It doesn't help that personality wise its a fairly boring bunch, there a few exceptions who command attention but the majority of women's MMA and its fighters are largely forgettable.

Personally, I was uncomfortable watching that fight at the weekend. It's probably just me showing my age and the fact that I've been raised in an environment where violence against women is frowned upon, but watching Joanna take that kind of punishment was off-putting. I've never been a huge fan of watching women smack the living shit out of each other. That's usually a dumb-as-fuck pastime for males with too much testosterone. 

And yes, I know, equality, if men are allowed to get their brains fucked up for money and fame then women are perfectly entitled to do so as well. I'm not saying they shouldn't be able to, but I personally find no enjoyment in watching it. 

In fact, I'm reaching the stage where I take no enjoyment in watching men punch each other in the head either. It could be that I'm getting to that stage in life where the sheer violence associated with the sport, not to mention the reprehensible characters often involved, is putting me off. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

That's usually a dumb-as-fuck pastime for males with too much testosterone. 

Oh, you salty bitch.

MMA and boxing have sadly numbed me quite a bit to violence; you have to come to terms with the fact that people are doing some terrible things to each other. I realise this when the missus takes an interest and is squirming at the hint of a jab. While I realise to a certain generation women are supposed to be viewed as something that shouldn't have to go through such things as combat sports, I don't think it's backwards to watch it. Some people think "cage fighting" as an overall is beyond the pale, in that regard.

From my own personal experience, it seems that women and people over 45 generally enjoy boxing more than MMA. The latter is a bit too violent for many (the kicking, knee strikes, etc) and others struggle to understand the ground game. 

As for WMMA, I can take it or leave it personally. If a Cyborg, Namajunas or Nunes is on a card I am watching, then great. But I don't actively follow their entire divisions or anything.