Sign in to follow this  
wandshogun09

UFC 248: Adesanya vs Romero - Mar 7 🇺🇸

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah. Wasn’t the best, was it? It’s a shame as well because it was a good show before that. But all anyone is going to want to talk about is the letdown main event. 

Adesanya walked out of the arena, on his own power, with the belt. So mission accomplished for him at the end of the day. But Christ, what a disappointment. These things happen sometimes. I love Romero but him moaning about Izzy not engaging was almost comical. We’ve all said at one point or another that Yoel isn’t an all-action fighter. ‘Fights in bursts’ has been the phrase that’s most commonly cropped up. He’s been wildly exciting over the years but in a completely different way to any other fighter. You’re on the edge of your seat because you know something mad is going to happen, you just don’t know when. He’s quite happy to bounce about setting traps for 14 minutes of a 15 minute fight if it means he gets that opening in the dying seconds. And when he does strike, it’s deadly. But Izzy was just not going to play that game. Unlike some of Yoel’s past opponents (or victims), he was smart enough to recognise the traps being laid and he refused to play ball. Unfortunately for us, it resulted in a nothing happening 25 minute game of cat and mouse.

Best thing about the whole thing was Adesanya’s entrance;

I’ve seen criticism of both on Twitter this morning, and I get why. But Yoel is Yoel. Nothing makes sense. And as for Adesanya, I think it’s important to remember, in his last 2 fights he battered Whittaker and had the FOTY with Gastelum. He’s only been in the UFC a little over 2 years and already he’s got FOTN twice and 4 POTN bonuses altogether. Dickheads trying to paint some picture of him being boring or not that good off the back of one lacklustre fight can kindly eat my arse.

Anyway. Whatever. Let’s move on and pretend this never happened. Adesanya vs Costa should be fun. Throw Romero in with Gastelum or Till or something.

Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk was where it was at on this card. What a fight. I think we got some answers on both here. This fight told us more about Zhang and impressed me more than her quick blowout of Jessica Andrade. Like I said going in, Joanna was a much tougher style for her on paper than any of her previous opponents. And Joanna looked really up for this as well. During fight week and on the night. Easily the best Joanna has looked since before the losses to Namajunas. And Zhang went the full 5 rounds and beat that Joanna. 

Joanna’s head though.

03-A959-CD-ABC4-4851-8-EDC-64-DFAE00-FE9

68F2E09D-08B6-46DB-8D55-502943538291.gif

I think that’s even worse than Mark Hominick’s against Aldo years ago.

Great, great fight. It’s early in the year but this is now in the top spot as FOTY easy for me. There’s 9 or so months to beat it but right now, it’s my #1. Close one too. Kind of lost track of the scoring by the middle rounds but when it was over I really wasn’t sure which way it was going. I felt like Zhang edged it but it could’ve gone the other way. 

Was chuffed to see Beneil Dariush get the knockout against Drakkar Klose. Hell of a scrap while it lasted as well. Had a feeling it would be. And that finish was nutty...

F76E5F64-E7E8-48B6-AB89-7EF69851B0F5.gif

Both were getting tagged and I was worried Dariush was going to drop, then he clobbers him. Beautiful. Happy to see him get that moment on a big show. Always liked him. Classy post-fight interview as well with the shout out to Robert Whittaker. 

Magny vs Jingliang went about how I thought it should go. Not the best fight but Magny dominated. Ideal kind of return fight really. Got the win and went the distance so got that cage time in.

Enjoyed Cowboy Oliveira vs Max Griffin, showed why it was a good choice as the PPV opener. Close fight, bloodbath, lots of action. Good stuff. 

Sean O’Malley had pretty much the perfect comeback. He looked really good. Especially considering the 2 year layoff. Hopefully he keeps his nose clean now with USADA because there’s a lot of potential there and people like him. He could catch on pretty big if he stays active. I’d like to see him against someone better next though. Rogan and co were all over his balls last night but it’s worth remembering Quinonez was pretty much tailor made for him. I get giving him this kind of matchup coming off a long spell of inactivity but I want to see him properly tested soon.

I like O’Malley though. And I thought I’d hate him when he first came on the scene. But watching his interviews and seeing some of the charity work he does, he’s a good guy. 

The Mark Madsen fight was a bit of a revelation. Either I sold Old Mother Hubbard short or Madsen isn’t quite the monster I thought he was. He looked great for 2 rounds and that one suplex was cool but he seemed to fade late and Hubbard cracked him with those knees and clearly had him in some bother. Might just have been an off night but my excitement for Madsen cooled watching this. It’s not like Hubbard is a top guy in the division yet he gave Madsen all he could handle in that last round. We’ll see how he looks next time out but based on this showing, his conditioning and striking looked a little bit suspect. And Madsen isn’t a pup. At 35 years old, you have to wonder how much better he can get. I don’t know. Maybe it was down to the injury he mentioned post-fight. 

Rodolfo Vieira cutting right through Safarov was no surprise. I know Rogan was going on about Safarov’s Sambo background but Vieira was on a completely different level of grappling and it showed. I wonder about Vieira though. He’s shredded and looks strong as fuck but he looks a bit small in there with other 185ers. I’ve never thought of Safarov as a particularly big Middleweight but he was clearly the bigger man in there last night. It’s working for Vieira for now but I wonder if a drop to 170 is on the horizon. As he moves up the rankings and faces stiffer opposition, it might become an issue. 

Meerschaert vs Winn was a lot of fun. Had a feeling Meerschaert was going to come out on top for some reason. Winn came into the UFC with some hype as kind of a mini DC but I’ve not been massively convinced. Plus he’s a bloody midget for 185. Someone posted this on Twitter and it killed me;

03-BFB4-A9-EA91-412-F-BEFF-FEA45-CA0-F28

He’s such an odd shape. Clearly way too small to compete in the UFC’s Middleweight division but he’s so stocky that he’ll probably really struggle to make 170. His head alone looks like it weighs about 4 stone. In terms of having entertaining fights, Winn has been good value. But he’s not looking like the prospect he came in as anymore. Nice win and finish for Meerschaert. 

So yeah, a mega disappointing main event but don’t let it distract from a really good night of fights before that. Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk, Dariush vs Klose, Oliveira vs Griffin and Meerschaert vs Winn are all well worth going out of your way to see. And the O’Malley and Vieira squash matches were enjoyable too. Should’ve just stopped it after Izzy’s entrance. 

Edited by wandshogun09

On 3/4/2020 at 8:45 AM, David said:

I guess I'm just not as bought-in to Romero as everyone else. Yes, he's impressive physically, and he's a mentalist, but I've lost count of how many of his fights I've watched where I've thought he looked gun-shy, and only fought in spurts.

In short, I'm not that impressed. I think Adesanya will relatively easily outpoint him. 

Yup.

Nice story about Sean O’Malley here; 

9769CB31-2428-4958-A865-687B05004964.jpeg

65385BAB-5221-40F7-90DF-C5F80E3F57DF.jpeg

Also, while I’m here. The final instalment (for now) of Sean O’Malley as Bo Selecta characters.

708336-FC-10-BF-42-BD-8-CFA-D6-B2-F7-C90

Proper Bo. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I hate the fact that I support what McGregor is saying. Also the timing of that tweet from Makhachev with one of the best womens fights in memory that was swiftly followed by one of the most underwhelming mens title fights in memory. 

Also as an aside that hematoma on Joanna's head is terrifying.

Edited by ElCece

I got the old Anderson Silva stinker feelings during that main event.

Such a weird fight. Maybe we should have recognised the potential for it with the style clash beforehand but everyone seemed to be excited for it. Feel it sets Adesanya back a little going forward, even his post-fight callout went tits up.

Zhang/Joanna was brilliant though. That was an incredibly hard fight to score, i lost tabs midway through and just decided to enjoy. Brutal fight.

What an amazing fight that was. Joanna and Zhang just left every last ounce of themselves out there. So often good/great fights end up being such due to technical brilliance of both fighters or being wild, crazy brawls. This ticked both boxes. Absolute savagery, a war. Yet both women displayed excellence of the highest level right to the bitter end. If this doesn't win fight of the year I'd be amazed. Scored it 48-47 for Zhang as well, but there could be no complaints whichever way the decision went I felt. 

Overall it was a really fun show to watch. From Sean O'Malley getting his career Kickstarter again, Vieira showcasing his BJJ wizardry again, Madsen getting another win, albeit barely, it ended up being a good night on the undercard for the fighters the promotion was trying to get behind. 

Oliviera and Griffin were expected to have a bloody battle and delivered, Neil Magny showed us he's a long way from finished and could throw a spanner in the works for some people at 170. Beneil Dariush and Drakaar Klose, Jesus. That second round may have only been a minute, but they packed a whole lot of living into that minute. 

Something happened at the end of the show as well, but I'd prefer not to talk about it, as it makes me sad. 

On 3/8/2020 at 1:50 PM, David said:

Yup.

well considering you picked Romero to overwhelm Adesanya last October i guess you had both bases covered 😉

I just watched Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk again and I think I enjoyed it even more on the rewatch. Really was a special fight. If it happened a few months earlier it’d have made my Top 25 thread, no doubt. And probably in the low single digits. Incredible.

Just look at the reaction and the faces of some of the top fighters in the game here;

Says it all when you see champions and former champions like Usman and Holloway, Cejudo momentarily dropping the gimmick, a veteran like Cerrone and a savage like Gaethje who’s more than qualified to know what a fight like this takes out of you, and they’re all standing and applauding. It’s a shame that Joanna coming out of the fight with Ant McPartlin’s forehead has been so much of a talking point because it’s almost overshadowed what a brilliant fight it was. Watching it back now, if there’s a better fight to come this year then I’ll be amazed.