UFC 248: Adesanya vs Romero - Mar 7 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ordinarily I'd be well up for this fight, but the fact that Romero is coming in off two losses has jaded me a bit. 

I know he's a tremendous physical specimen, but look at who's he's actually beaten of late. Rockhold, Weidman, Machida and Tim Kennedy by knock out, and Jacare by decision. He's fought Whittaker twice and lost both times, and lost to Costa.

The fight I really want to see is Adesanya take on Costa. I think Adesanya will outpoint Romero relatively easily.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, David said:

Ordinarily I'd be well up for this fight, but the fact that Romero is coming in off two losses has jaded me a bit. 

I would too usually and its not ideal, but with Costa being injured im ok with it, i get a totally diferent feeling from this than i did with Aldo/Cejudo being announced which is just wrong on every level. Here, if Costa was healthy he would be the man fighting Adesanya.

I think Romero wins too 😕

I guess I'm just not as bought-in to Romero as everyone else. Yes, he's impressive physically, and he's a mentalist, but I've lost count of how many of his fights I've watched where I've thought he looked gun-shy, and only fought in spurts.

In short, I'm not that impressed. I think Adesanya will relatively easily outpoint him. 

Romero's recent record doesn't tell the full story. He deserved the nod against Whittaker in their rematch and perhaps should have got the nod against Costa. 

He does indeed fight in spurts. With his frame, it would be near impossible for him to fight at a decent pace for 15-25 minutes straight. However, he is always dangerous. He has 6 third round stoppages in the UFC. He also excelled in the 3rd round of his fight with Costa, and won the final round of his rematch with Whittaker.

The only problems I have with Romero is that he's missed weight in 2 out of his last 3 bouts and that he makes an absolute mockery out of USADA's drug testing programme.

1 hour ago, jimufctna24 said:

Romero's recent record doesn't tell the full story. He deserved the nod against Whittaker in their rematch and perhaps should have got the nod against Costa. 

He does indeed fight in spurts. With his frame, it would be near impossible for him to fight at a decent pace for 15-25 minutes straight. However, he is always dangerous. He has 6 third round stoppages in the UFC. He also excelled in the 3rd round of his fight with Costa, and won the final round of his rematch with Whittaker.

The only problems I have with Romero is that he's missed weight in 2 out of his last 3 bouts and that he makes an absolute mockery out of USADA's drug testing programme.

I saw those fights, and at the end I didn't feel that Romero was robbed. If anything I actually blamed him for not doing anywhere near enough to win the fight. 

I'm fairly certain that Adesanya will school him. He's quicker, younger, more agile, and the smarter fighter by all accounts. Romero will be dangerous as usual, but only in short bursts as always. Adesanya will know that, and is quick enough to avoid those spells.

42 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

He 100% fights in spurts, but those spurts are as explosive and violent as anything in the sport. 

I don't think so. If there were as violent as anything in the sport he'd be finishing people. He wasn't able to get the job done against the top guys in the division.

12 hours ago, David said:

I saw those fights, and at the end I didn't feel that Romero was robbed. If anything I actually blamed him for not doing anywhere near enough to win the fight. 

He wasn't robbed. But they were close bouts that you could easily score in his favour.

- http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/10340/Paulo-Costa-vs-Yoel-Romero

- http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/9134/Robert-Whittaker-vs-Yoel-Romero

12 hours ago, David said:

I'm fairly certain that Adesanya will school him. He's quicker, younger, more agile, and the smarter fighter by all accounts. Romero will be dangerous as usual, but only in short bursts as always. Adesanya will know that, and is quick enough to avoid those spells.

I can't see Romero winning a decision unless he seriously hurts Stylebender multiple times and accumulates a few 10-8 rounds.

Otherwise, Adesanya will indeed be too active for him and probably win a clear-cut decision. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, David said:

I don't think so. If there were as violent as anything in the sport he'd be finishing people. He wasn't able to get the job done against the top guys in the division.

Come on Dave, you cant sit there and tell me that when Romero puts his foot down there's very few if any who are. He may have gone the distance a couple of times but he's done significant damage in all of those fights too. Name a more explosive middleweight

...and looking back at the Adesanya/Whitaker thread from October you actually favoured to a monster like Romero to 'overwhelm' Adesanya. Interesting.

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

...and looking back at the Adesanya/Whitaker thread from October you actually favoured to a monster like Romero to 'overwhelm' Adesanya. Interesting.

Don't be selective now, Ebb. You know fine well that I also mentioned Costa right alongside Romero in those posts. I was highlighting Romero more for his size, as I think Adesanya is a less imposing middleweight. Romero's size is pretty much all that makes this fight interesting for me. But, having thought more about the matchup since it was officially signed I don't think he's nearly active enough during fights to really cause Izzy any problems.

You'll also note in that discussion I favoured more the idea that Costa would be the one to really challenge Adesanya. My view on that hasn't changed. He has more tools than Romero.

Purely in terms of size, Costa is a bigger test for Adesanya than Romero.

However, beyond size and KO power, neither have that much to offer against Adesanya. I am not saying they can't beat him, but I would favour Adesanya over both, especially if the fight went the distance. As already mentioned, Romero is not active enough and Costa's cardio isn't up to scratch.

I just feel that Costa has the ability to stay on Adesanya more than Romero does. Even if Costa manages to follow a gameplan that sees him go three rounds before gassing. Let's be honest, if neither Romero or Costa has won the fight by the end of the third they're likely not going to win at all.

Jack Slack's preview of the main event for anyone interested - https://www.unibet.co.uk/blog/more-sports/mma/ufc-248-the-faster-the-pace-the-better-for-adesanya-as-he-seeks-to-extend-romeros-lose-streak-1.1388360

TLDR: He touches on all the points raised in this thread and adds that counter fighters might be able to take advantage of Adesanya's high volume striking style.