UFC 248: Adesanya vs Romero - Mar 7 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 7th March in Sin City with this beauty of a card...

69-CA3-B12-0-B5-C-465-B-8763-C2587-F17-C

PPV MAIN CARD
Israel Adesanya vs Yoel RomeroĀ - MiddleweightĀ Title

Zhang Weili vs Joanna JedrzejczykĀ - StrawweightĀ Title

Beneil Dariush vs Drakkar Klose

Neil Magny vs Li JingliangĀ 

Alex Oliveira vs Max Griffin
Ā 

ESPNĀ PRELIMS
Sean Oā€™Malley vs Jose Alberto QuiĆ±Ć³nez

Mark Madsen vs Austin Hubbard

Rodolfo Vieira vs Saparbek SafarovĀ 

Deron Winn vs Gerald Meerschaert
Ā 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Polyana Viana vs Emily WhitmireĀ 

Giga ChikadzeĀ vs Jamall Emmers

Guido Cannetti vs Danaa BatgerelĀ 

Ā 

OK, now weā€™re cooking! The first two PPVs of 2020 have been weak on paper. Theyā€™ve basically relied on Conor McGregor and Jon Jones to carry those cards singlehandedly. This is pretty stacked though. With that one-two punch of title fights, they couldā€™ve put almost anything on the undercard and I wouldnā€™t mind. But Iā€™m genuinely interested in nearly every single fight to some degree there.Ā 

Ā 

376-F699-D-83-FA-4-D45-A167-FAC5366-D173

Israel Adesanya vs Yoel RomeroĀ tops the bill. Amazing fight. Odd timing really with Romero coming off back-to-back losses but whatever. At a time when weā€™re seeing YouTubers on Matchroom Boxing cards and seeing Colby Covington calling out 50 Cent...this is fuck all, is it?

For whatever itā€™s worth, Romeroā€™s last two fights were highly debatable decision losses. I had him winning the Whittaker rematch. Not sure how I had the Costa fight scored but a lot of people had Yoel winning that one as well. Still, theyā€™re officially down as losses. I actually donā€™t care though. Usually I would say itā€™s bollocks but Costa was next in line and heā€™s injured. So it kind of makes sense to have the guy who arguably beat him step in. Aside from Jared Cannonier, who else is there whoā€™s ready now? Plus Adesanya was pushing hard for this Yoel fight. Iā€™m not into champions picking and choosing their challengers. I think the champ should fight whoever is next in line. But in this case, itā€™s not exactly like heā€™s trying to get an easy or favourable matchup. Heā€™s choosing a killer who nobody in their right mind would want to fight.

ā€œHeā€™ll lull you into a false sense of security where youā€™ll feel like you can kind of coast or youā€™re in control, and heā€™ll just explode. So, you have to stay on withĀ him at all points. You canā€™t just drift off, you canā€™t just coast in your mind. But also, I think his wrestling should be his strong suit because heā€™s an Olympian and all this shit. But he rarely ever uses it. Iā€™m hoping he uses it in this fight. I want to see what that wrestlingā€™s about.

Theyā€™re hoping heā€™s the one to take me out because, from the get-go, from my first UFC fight, all they ever said was, ā€˜Feed him to Romeroā€™ and ā€˜Heā€™ll take him down and itā€™s overā€™. Heā€™s the guy that scares a lot of people and no-oneā€™s asked to fight him, so Iā€™m doing something different.ā€ - Israel Adesanya

Of course, Adesanya is coming off a spectacular 2019. He beat Anderson Silva in February, which was big for him mentally as he said he kind of idolised Anderson coming up. Then he beat Kelvin Gastelum in that epic FOTY in April. Then he capped the year off by winning the title from Robert Whittaker in Melbourne in October.

1-CDA3-AF6-C58-C-4-A01-A2-D4-0-F3-E6-B42

A massive year. The biggest. Beat a legend, had the FOTY, became undisputed champion of the world. It doesnā€™t really get any better than that. Heā€™s still perfect in his MMA career. 18-0 undefeated. That plus a 75-5 Kickboxing record. All that experience and heā€™s still only 30 years old. He could potentially have another good 5-10 years in him. Heā€™s in an incredible position to really carve out a brilliant legacy and become a huge star. And whether you like him or not, heā€™s got a unique style and swagger and he seems authentic with it. You look at stuff like his entrance for the Whittaker fight. Nobody is doing shite like that in MMA.

Heā€™s a showman and, frankly, there arenā€™t enough of them in combat sports these days. It wasnā€™t as good as Prince Nazā€™s entrances back in the 90s but thatā€™s what it immediately reminded me of watching live.

C4-EF3-B53-5-C94-46-B0-9-FC1-EB31-AF65-C

Yoel Romero doesnā€™t have the unbeaten record or the gift of gab. But his Cuban/broken English interviews are classic. Like a cross between Marlon Brando playing Don Corleone inĀ The GodfatherĀ and the Iron Sheik a few somas deep in a shoot interview. And I think heā€™d give Adesanya a run for his money on any dance floor as well.

32DB9F7A-B4CD-4B09-B293-24F2619D6CC9.gif

Love the bloke. Heā€™s a treasure. Probably one of my top 2 or 3 current favourite fighters. In the cage and as a personality. And heā€™s an absolute freak. Heā€™ll be 43 years old in April, for fuckā€™s sake. Yet physique-wise and athletically, there arenā€™t many on the roster who can fuck with him. Heā€™s one of the best amateur wrestlers to ever compete in the UFC. Silver medalist at the 2000 Olympic Games, a shitload of medals in other competitions. He has wins over 3 different Olympic gold medalists, including multiple victories over Cael Sanderson who was one of the best American amateur wrestlers of all time.

03126890-D225-45A0-ACE8-A1330AA7D298.gif

Yoel Romero was always an animal.

Side note - The guy next to him there is Adam Saitiev. Heā€™s the man who stopped Yoel from taking the gold in 2000.

Anyway, Yoel didnā€™t get into MMA until 2009, at the age of 32. But things moved quickly for him. He won his debut by knockout in 48 seconds. At just 4-0 he entered the Strikeforce cage and lost his debut to Rafael Cavalcante. Then the UFC took over Strikeforce and the rest was history.Ā At 4-1Ā and 36 years old, Yoel Romero was making his UFC debut. By this point heā€™d had a few yearsā€™ training at American Top Team under his belt. And being such a stellar athlete, heā€™d adjusted well. He won his next 8 fights in a row, 6 by knockout. And among his victims were Lyoto Machida, Derek Brunson and Tim Kennedy. But none were more breathtaking and scary than the night he nearly flying kneed Chris Weidmanā€™s head into the 15th row at Madison Square Garden...

03558690-57FD-44B4-AD86-4C5C09B48A57.gif

Even more surreal was seeingĀ Madonna, of all people, cheering the carnage on from cageside.

Itā€™s mad to think, Romero is 1-3 in his last 4 fights. As good as he looked in those 3 losses, theyā€™re still 3 losses. But yeah. Sod it. Thereā€™s a reason the booking of this fight has barely received any backlash and thatā€™s because itā€™s a fucking fantastic and fascinating matchup. How could you complain about getting to see a fight like this?

Christ almighty is it March yet?

I like Adesanya a lot and I know thereā€™s more upside to him winning. Iā€™d probably be pulling for him against anyone else right now. But fuck it, I really hope Romero a) makes weight, b) takes Izzyā€™s head off and c) finally wins that UFC belt. Itā€™s been a long time coming and heā€™s way too good to retire without ever winning UFC gold. Iā€™d love to see it. Adesanyaā€™sĀ got time to rebound and win it back down the line. But surely at 43, this is Yoelā€™s last bite at the cherry? Heā€™s freakish and nutty enough that I could see him fighting into his 50s. But chances are, heā€™s not getting too many more opportunities like this. Team Romero here.

Ā 

94312-FBC-70-C9-490-B-877-B-9917252-BD17

Zhang Weili vs Joanna JedrzejczykĀ co-headlines.Ā Really looking forward to this fight. Both have something to prove here. Zhang is looking to solidify herself as the champ and Joanna wants to regain that top spot she had for so long and prove sheā€™s far from done.

213113-F1-ED41-4-F00-88-EB-6-EF3-CBD4-EA

Joanna Jedrzejczyk came into the UFC in 2014 as an unbeaten 6-0 prospect. A good signing but nothing more. No hype, no promotion. Her first two UFC fights were on the prelims. But after beating ClĆ”udia Gadelha who was thought to be the next challenger for the Strawweight title, Joanna got the shot. At UFC 185 in March 2015, she took on the divisionā€™s first champ Carla Esparza. It was thought going in that Esparzaā€™s smothering wrestling game would probably be too much for the Polish striker to overcome.

DEE90-F14-4-C5-D-4-CB1-BFD4-CBD41-BD8-F0

4-BFCC346-7-E1-B-4041-A181-6-F9-CB351103

Wrong. Joanna obliterated Esparza in two rounds in one of most one-sided title changes youā€™ll ever see. Joanna Champion had arrived.

From there she went on a reign of terror. Jessica Penne, Valerie LĆ©tourneau, ClĆ”udia Gadelha again, Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Jessica Andrade all fell short. By late 2017, it was hard to see who could dethrone Double J.Ā At 14-0, sheā€™d almost cleaned out the 115lbs division. Then came those back-to-back losses to Rose Namajunas. She bounced around after that. Beat Tecia Torres, it wasĀ a lacklustre fight but it put herĀ back in the win column. Then she moved up to challenge Valentina Shevchenko at Flyweight and got dominated for 5 rounds. In October though, she got back on track, beating Michelle Waterson by a clear cut decision. It was easily the best sheā€™s looked since the losses to Rose. One of her better all-round performances in years.

In the meantime though, a new force had emerged in the Strawweight ranks.

064452-CD-AB80-481-A-A346-C1-A136-A73279

Zhang Weili made her UFC debut in August 2018. She already had a fairly impressive 16-1 record and hadnā€™t lost since her MMA debut. Within about 8 months, sheā€™d racked up 3 wins in the Octagon including a first round submission over Jessica Aguilar and a comfy points win over Tecia Torres. According to Dana White, at this point he was finding it difficult to find anyone who fancied fighting Zhang. But with the UFC coming to China in August 2019, it was a no brainer to pull the trigger on giving her a crack at the belt.

1-FE87-B1-E-0-DEF-49-ED-9-AA2-C21-B5-AC9

She took on Jessica Andrade, who had won the belt from Namajunas in May and was on a hell of a run herself. This would be the first real big test for Zhang.

BDE147EF-901C-4316-A1DA-55424BDB4E8F.gif

She passed with flying colours. Andrade did what Andrade does and bullrushed in. Only to be met with a barrage of punches, elbows and knees in close. The whole thing lasted 42 seconds. Zhang was the new champ. And not only that, she made history as the first EVER Chinese fighter to hold UFC gold.

78809346-D0-BC-4-BD1-82-FD-2-BFC00275131

Initially, Zhang expressed a lack of interest in Jedrzejczyk as a challenger.

ā€œJoanna, I donā€™t think sheā€™s the fighter she used to be. Iā€™m not very interested. I want to fight the best. I think maybe Rose Namajunas is a good choice. If I had the chance, Iā€™d like to move up the weight class and fight the best. And right now Valentina is one of the best.ā€ - Zhang Weili

There was a bit of a polite back and forth between her and Valentina Shevchenko. But as much as Iā€™d love to see that fight somewhere down the line, Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t just jump on that. Zhangā€™s only just won the belt at 115, itā€™d be nice to see her defend it before rushing up to 125 to fight Shevchenko. These ā€˜superfightsā€™ are all well and good but they always end up holding up one division and Iā€™m really not a fan of that. Zhang vs Shev is definitely one to keep an eye on though if they both win their upcoming fights.

This Zhang vs Joanna buildup has gotten a bit ugly though. Iā€™ve been a big fan of Joanna but she doesnā€™t half make it difficult to root for her at times. She posted this on social media recently...

C1-BFFFC7-D00-C-43-EF-B6-B0-0-D215285067

Clearly a reference to the Coronavirus. Not in the best taste. Zhang understandably wasnā€™t amused by it.

A3-B42-EFD-E82-F-450-F-BE5-B-A48-B6-FC0-

Itā€™s not a good look. Joanna deleted it and kind of apologised but it was already out there by that point.

Regardless, this is a great fight. Iā€™m seeing a lot of people predicting Zhang will smash Joanna here. Not sure about that. As good as Zhang has looked, we really havenā€™t seen much of her against top level opposition. The Andrade fight didnā€™t even go a minute. And her best win before that was Tecia Torres. Joanna mightā€™ve lost a bit of her aura but sheā€™s still an elite fighter. I wouldnā€™t assume a Zhang win is a foregone conclusion at all. Itā€™s what makes it such an interesting fight. Joanna isnā€™t going to just charge at Zhang like Andrade did. I think this fight is going to tell us a lot more about Zhang as a fighter.

Ā 

251-B0554-3632-4516-97-F7-1-E746-BC9-B4-

Beneil Dariush vs Drakkar Klose has been bumped up to the PPVĀ due to the Brunson vs Shahbazyan fight being moved to another card. Might seem a curious choice at first glance but thisĀ could well be a bit of a sleeper on this card. Both are pretty entertaining to watch despite the complete lack of fanfare. Dariush is Iranian, 30 years old, BJJ black-belt. Heā€™s got some nice wins on his resume over Jim Miller, Michael Johnson and Carlos Diego Ferreira. Seems a good guy too. Always liked Dariush. Klose, not so much. Get a bit of a dickhead vibe off him. Heā€™s decent though and has his own solid wins over Bobby Green, Lando Vannata and Marc Diakiese. Klose also had a cracking fight with Christos Giagos on the UFC 241 prelims that Iā€™d highly recommend watching if you didnā€™t see it. It got lost in the talk of DC vs Stipe, Diaz vs Pettis etc but it was a corker. Should be a fun one this.

Ā 

72667-E8-A-6-E28-4047-B545-2761541-DAF6-

Neil Magny vs Li JingliangĀ is a decent enough fight. We havenā€™t seen Magny since late 2018 when he got stopped by Santiago Ponzinibbio. Thatā€™s because heā€™s been on a USADA suspension. Heā€™d had a hot and cold career before that but did have wins over Carlos Condit, Johny Hendricks, Hector Lombard and even a close decision over Kelvin Gastelum. But losses scattered in amongst them held him back and then getting popped for PEDs really fucked it. Jingliang is alright. 17-5 record. Never been massively impressed by him but heā€™s on a good little 3 fight streak at the moment. He surprised me by beating Elizeu Zaleski Dos Santos on the China show in August.

Ā 

62-E462-CA-39-AB-437-C-833-F-D894-B28-B8

Alex Oliveira vs Max Griffin is currently slated to kick off the main card.Ā CouldĀ be good. I think Cowboy Oliveira seems a bit of a cock, and if that domestic abuse story was true that confirms it. Heā€™s usually in good scraps though. Heā€™s coming off 3 consecutive losses now though so he badly needs to make something happen here. Griffin is usually a decent watch himself. Loved his undercard fight with Thiago Alves last year on whatever card that was on. Results havenā€™t gone his way much recently either though. The loser of this could possibly be looking at their P45.

Ā 

73-C5-C777-E6-B9-4122-8-D95-6-BB5-DD8-B3

Sean Oā€™Malley vs JosĆ© Alberto QuiĆ±Ć³nezĀ should be good. We havenā€™t seen Oā€™Malley in nearly 2 years. Heā€™s 10-0 and came into the UFC with some hype but in beating Andre Soukhamthath at UFC 222, he injured his leg and had to do the post-fight Rogan interview lying down in the Octagon. He was actually meant to fight QuiĆ±Ć³nezĀ on the Khabib vs McGregor undercard but he got done by USADA. Hopefully all thatā€™s done now and he can crack on with his career. Despite the time out heā€™s still only 25 so heā€™s got time. QuiĆ±Ć³nez is 8-3 and was on a solid little win streak before Nathaniel Wood submitted him last year. Itā€™s a fight Iā€™d expect Oā€™Malley to win but should be entertaining while it lasts.

Ā 

53620-C3-B-7905-460-D-8-B22-231054-D5-A9

Mark Madsen vs Austin Hubbard then. This is all about Madsen. Heā€™s a guy a lot of people have tipped to do big things. He won Olympic silver in Rio in 2016 in Greco-Roman wrestling. In MMA heā€™s undefeatedĀ at 9-0Ā with 6 finishes. Made his UFC debut in September on the Copenhagen card and just pissed right through Danilo Belluardo in about a minute. He looked a star that night. Whether thatā€™s just because heā€™s Danish and the show was in Denmark, or maybe Belluardo was just a jabroni, I donā€™t know. But he looked the dogā€™s bollocks. Heā€™s 35 now so probably doesnā€™t have bags of time. Unless heā€™s another Yoel Romero type. Heā€™ll want to get the ball rolling. If heā€™s anything special then Hubbard is a guy he really shouldnā€™t be having too much of an issue with. Heā€™s 11-3 and nothing at all stands out about him.

Ā 

3008-CBEA-1672-4520-9-F39-60-B315-D5-F11

Rodolfo Vieira vs Saparbek SafarovĀ is a fight worth checking out, purely to see Vieira back in action. Heā€™s a BJJ black-belt and 4 time BJJ world champion. Trains at ATT, 6-0 in MMA now, all finishes. He made his Octagon debut in August on the Uruguay card and submitted Oskar Piechota. I like the little Iā€™ve seen of him so far. Always fun seeing elite grapplers make the transition into MMA. Safarov probably gets throttled here. Heā€™s not much good really. Tough bastard but not all that skilled. Most likely a showcase for Vieira but you never know.

Ā 

7-E494-B4-A-29-E0-48-E4-9-B2-B-7660-C19-

Deron Winn vs Gerald MeerschaertĀ is another interesting fight on a card full of them. I like this matchup a lot actually. Winn is a teammate and friend of Daniel Cormier at AKA. Heā€™s 6-1 now, having suffered his first defeat by split decision to Darren Stewart last time out. Before that heā€™d won his UFC debut against Eric Spicely in a really exciting brawl. And he beat Tom Lawlor on that dreaded Chuck vs Tito 3 card. Meerschaert is the much more experienced guy at 29-12. Heā€™s a Duke Roufus guy, a BJJ black-belt and has been in with the likes of Thiago Santos and Jack Hermansson. Heā€™s no world beater but definitely a tricky fight for Winn on the rebound from his first loss.

Ā 

3519-FB1-C-9-BF7-4-EA1-A259-E475-DB7-D3-

Polyana Viana vs Emily WhitmireĀ isnā€™t setting the world alight. Iā€™ve liked Viana ever since that story came out about that guy trying to mug her in Brazil and she beat the fuck out of him. But truth be told, sheā€™s not that good. Sheā€™s 10-4 now and coming off 3 losses in a row. She got subbed in a minute last time out. If she loses another one here, I can see that being it for her in the UFC. Whitmire isnā€™t the best either though. Sheā€™s 4-3 and has lost decisively any time sheā€™s come up against anyone decent. I can see the loser being gone. Especially with it being Strawweight which is probably the one womenā€™s division that they can afford to trim the dead wood from.

Ā 

D801-F66-B-C4-E4-49-B6-B7-FF-144-D182-BF

Giga Chikadze vs Jamall EmmersĀ is a fight that came together by pure chance. This was originally set to be Movsar Evloev vs Douglas Silva De Andrade but both ended up dropping off the card and here we are.Ā Iā€™m not really familiar with either guy but this couldĀ end up being a bit of a darkhorse fight by the sounds of it. Chikadze is a striker, heā€™s kickboxed in GLORY a few times. He likes his body kicks from what IĀ recall. Won his UFC debut on the Copenhagen card in September. Iā€™ve never clapped eyes onĀ Emmers before. Itā€™sĀ his Octagon debut and heā€™sĀ 17-4. He must have something about himĀ because heā€™s got a 2017 winĀ over Cory Sandhagen on his record as well as wins over Diaz brothers teammate Chris Avila and TUFer Jay Cucciniello.

Ā 

And thatā€™s your lot.

D41DB01A-6C39-4B61-8979-8EC6397BF159.gif

See you soon, boy!Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Looking forward to Zhang absolutely sparking JoannaĀ 

I wonā€™tĀ be mad at that if it happens. Donā€™t really get whyĀ people seemĀ so confident it happens though. Like I said, asĀ nice a streak as sheā€™s on, we just havenā€™t seen enough ofĀ Zhang against top oppositionĀ for me to confidently predict her to just walk through Joanna Jedrzejczyk. Maybe she is that good, or maybe Andrade played right into her hands (and knees). But smashing Andrade, as impressive as that was,Ā doesnā€™t mean she just kills everyone now.Ā 

• Paid Members

What I'm particularly interested in about Zhang is getting a further peek at how Sanda stacks up in MMA competition. Given the comparative paucity of Chinese fighters in the UFC, we only really had Cung Le as an elite-ish level exponent, and he got to MMA relatively late.Ā 

So far, there seems to have emerged two discrete spheres of training: Western fighters tend generally to train in a combination of boxing or kickboxing, amateur/Greco-Roman wrestling, and Brazilian Ju-Jutsu (or, on rare occasions, judo). You get the odd exception with guys like Machida whose focus is on karate, Rousey and her judo, or Barnett with catch wrestling, but even they trained in those disciplines. Then you get the Russians with their combat sambo and amateur wrestling - I could be wrong, but I haven't seen much of the BJJ from them; from what I understand, sambo's based in more classical Japanese Ju-Jutsu.Ā 

It'd be good to see if there emerges a Chinese sphere based on Sanda and Sanshou, with Kung Fu and Wushu influences.

EDIT: Turns out Zhang also trained in Shuai Jiao, Chinese wrestling. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Greco/amateur.

Edited by Carbomb

5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

What I'm particularly interested in about Zhang is getting a further peek at how Sanda stacks up in MMA competition. Given the comparative paucity of Chinese fighters in the UFC, we only really had Cung Le as an elite-ish level exponent, and he got to MMA relatively late.Ā 

So far, there seems to have emerged two discrete spheres of training: Western fighters tend generally to train in a combination of boxing or kickboxing, amateur/Greco-Roman wrestling, and Brazilian Ju-Jutsu (or, on rare occasions, judo). You get the odd exception with guys like Machida whose focus is on karate, Rousey and her judo, or Barnett with catch wrestling, but even they trained in those disciplines. Then you get the Russians with their combat sambo and amateur wrestling - I could be wrong, but I haven't seen much of the BJJ from them; from what I understand, sambo's based in more classical Japanese Ju-Jutsu.Ā 

It'd be good to see if there emerges a Chinese sphere based on Sanda and Sanshou, with Kung Fu and Wushu influences.

EDIT: Turns out Zhang also trained in Shuai Jiao, Chinese wrestling. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Greco/amateur.

Ā 

Its interesting if Xu Xiaodong kicking the shit out of old school martial arts guys over there has helped MMA or hurt it. China is a huge untapped market if they can get past the old "traditional Martial Arts are the best". Be awesome if its a woman to do it.

Yoel is awesome. And this should be an incredible fight. Logic says that the younger fighter continues his streak, but I can't shake this feeling that Romero manages to catch him with that Gay Jesus power. The rules of aging don't seem to apply to the Soldier of God. As much as I don't think Yoel won either of his last 2 fights that people cry "robbery" over- funnily enough, despite my fandom/bias, I think he has a much better argument for the Whittaker fight over the Costa fight- he still looked fantastic in both fights for the most part.