Bellator Dublin/240 - McCourt vs. Ruis (Feb. 22nd)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'd say the reasoning behind McCourt headlining is to put eyes on Bellator within the mainstream media on these islands.
She was on Breakfast TV in Ireland when I was getting ready for work this morning and she was mentioned on the sports news bulletins during drives to and from work, which wouldn't have happened had say - Redmond (who's not SBG, though) - been given that spot.
From a marketing standpoint, it makes perfect sense as she's a very attractive, media savvy, charismatic individual who's being pushed as a role model for women everywhere and - if she mows through Ruis - whose star should start shining a bit brighter and bring a few more eyes to the product.
Also, John Kavanagh.

The card layout is nonsense though. I'd have had Chalmers on the 240 portion and Crosbie on the European portion, and Malambo and Bandejas promises to be an absolute belter, yet that'll be probably up on YouTube at 5 or 6pm.
And surely the only reason Ward is main card is because of who they expect to show up on the broadcast to bring more eyes to the show?

In saying all that though, I'm looking forward to a whole day and night of it on Saturday, and hopefully the TV cameras won't catch me fixing my hair while pouting into my phone like last time out.

• Paid Members
On 2/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

I'd say the reasoning behind McCourt headlining is to put eyes on Bellator within the mainstream media on these islands.
She was on Breakfast TV in Ireland when I was getting ready for work this morning and she was mentioned on the sports news bulletins during drives to and from work, which wouldn't have happened had say - Redmond (who's not SBG, though) - been given that spot.
From a marketing standpoint, it makes perfect sense as she's a very attractive, media savvy, charismatic individual who's being pushed as a role model for women everywhere and - if she mows through Ruis - whose star should start shining a bit brighter and bring a few more eyes to the product.
Also, John Kavanagh.

The card layout is nonsense though. I'd have had Chalmers on the 240 portion and Crosbie on the European portion, and Malambo and Bandejas promises to be an absolute belter, yet that'll be probably up on YouTube at 5 or 6pm.
And surely the only reason Ward is main card is because of who they expect to show up on the broadcast to bring more eyes to the show?

Bandejas/Mlambo is on the 240 portion so will be on Sky.

Aaron Chalmers is always gonns be on Channel 5 though. That live, late night slot is made for him.

The McCourt thing does make sense, interested to see how she looks though. She may just be a pretty face Bellator are pushing into the spotlight, wouldnt he be the first time.

• Paid Members

I've no idea how it came off on d'telly, but it was an awful atmosphere from pretty much after the Crosbie/Furtado fight, onwards.
There was so much fighting in the stands, and during the Charlie Ward fight, some junkie looking toerag jumped the rail right in front of us and started swinging Millhouse-esque haymakers at a load of Fabian Edwards' Yardie looking crew.

Poor Leah McCourt though, she really was tasked with something she had no control over and by the time her fight was on, the arena was genuinely only about 1/3 full.
Sinead Kavanagh though. The fucking charisma that women oozes in person, without even having to lift her head, is unreal. Every time she walked past to the bar, with her big long jacket on, people stopped and looked. She has this ludicrous almost gunslinger like aura you can't buy and I can't explain, but Bellator need to pull the trigger and market her in Ireland because she just looks like someone that would shove your bollocks down your japs eye.

The Ilias Bulaid / Diego Freitas fight was probably my favourite fight of the night, and that was a postlim in front of about 100 of us in the arena as they were pulling down the lighting and rigging around us.

So yeah, pretty much a damp squib and not a patch on Septembers' show.
And I kept getting mistaken for James Webb again so either I really need to change my look or a fair few people know an awful lot about 1960s NASA. Had one cunt chant "You're fucking shite" at me when I was walking to the jacks. So either he assumed I was Webb too, or he didn't like that I'd left my seat to go wee.

• Paid Members

I didn’t see this in the end. Just too much to watch with Fury vs Wilder, the UFC etc. I love your recaps for these shows though Scotty. More entertaining than the shows themselves usually. 

Oh and Charlie Ward is arse. Can’t stand the scrote. Best thing he ever did was get thrown on his face and knocked out that time in the UFC. 

A373A109-AEF3-4FAD-8BED-0E00DD06EFB7.gif

I only watched the McCourt fight on Five, but that had to be one of the worst, as in quality of the two fighters, main events ever put on in a mainstream MMA card.

Judith Ruis didn't know how to punch and McCourt threw some of the feeblest looking kicks going.  She did show great composure whilst trapped in the armbar before calmly escaping it, as I thought she was done for at that point and that Ruis was going to spoil the party.

On the plus side, Aaron Chalmers lost again!

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I only watched the McCourt fight on Five, but that had to be one of the worst, as in quality of the two fighters, main events ever put on in a mainstream MMA card.

Judith Ruis didn't know how to punch and McCourt threw some of the feeblest looking kicks going.  She did show great composure whilst trapped in the armbar before calmly escaping it, as I thought she was done for at that point and that Ruis was going to spoil the party.

I was getting breakfast in Thyme Square Cafe and some one came in and big leagued the staff there. Me nor the wife had any idea who it was but later I though it may have been Aaron Chalmers.

So really don't like the guy as a result. Now that being said it could perfectly well not of been him but just some Joe Smo dickhead.

• Paid Members

its a shane to read Malbranque's report there.

I saw most of the show by skipped the main event...for the best by the sounds of it.

The thing about these domestic cards is that a lot of tickets are sold by specific fighters so you have people filtering in and out of the Arena all night depending on who's fighting, and on card as stupidly long as this you probably had big pockets of fans leaving throughout the night. Such a long show 

It happened on a smaller scale at the Cage Warriors show i saw in Cardiff last year. It was sold out, but by the time Jack Shore fought it in the main event the arena was only around half full. 

• Paid Members
On 2/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, Magnum Milano said:

Chalmers got dominated. I aint really against Chalmers being in MMA, he's earned his place at this point, his takedown defence is pitiful though.

Ricky Bandejas took down another SBG prospect, i see Brian Moore wants to fight him now. SBG Killer.