Bellator 238 - Budd vs Cyborg - January 25th

David

Who Wins & How?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sherdog have recommended that Cyborg fights Cat Zigano next.

Zigano has lost 4 out of her last 5 fights. In fairness, one of those losses was by SD and another was due to an eye injury. Still, Bellator are going to struggle to find decent opponents for Cyborg. The Women's 145lbs division isn't very strong. 

Of course, that doesn't mean that Cyborg isn't valuable to Bellator. She has proven to be a decent draw in the past. I remember her moving the needle a bit for Strikeforce back in the day.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I've been looking at Tapology's worldwide rankings for women featherweights, and it doesn't make for encouraging reading. There are only a few who haven't been beaten by Cyborg who are on any kind of form recently: Megan Anderson, Arlene Blencowe, and Pam Sorenson. And that's being generous with the phrase "on any kind of form". Anderson's in the UFC, Sorenson's on a 1-fight streak, and Blencowe has a record of 13-7.

• Paid Members

I can see them doing the Zingano fight. Which is far from ideal but what can you do? The division is so thin that the normal rules can’t really apply. You have to just make the best of what’s there. And although Zingano hasn’t been on the best of form for some time, the plus points are that she’s somewhat of a name due to her UFC stint and fighting the likes of Rousey and Tate. Also she has a stoppage win over Amanda Nunes. Granted that was over 5 years ago but it’s something they can use for promotional spin. 

• Paid Members

I only got watching the main event and Caldwell Vs Borics. Thought Cyborg looked great, clearly winning every round and then putting a real beating on Budd at the end there. Sure the division is essentially empty, but Cyborg beating up anybody that can weigh 145lbs will get people watching. If she does that for long enough there's always the possibility of Cyborg/Nunes II down the line if one of them is out of contract, or some cross promotion with the PFL. 

I didn't expect Caldwell to cut through Borics as easily as he did. Disappointed too I guess. Of the two I thought Borics to be the more interesting man moving forward. Having said that, Caldwell couldn't really have looked any better than he did here. 

• Paid Members
On 1/26/2020 at 12:55 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Raymond Daniels did his thing. Why isn’t everyone clamouring for a Daniels vs MVP fight? In fact, why hasn’t Bellator already booked it? I know Daniels is only 2-1 in MMA but fuck it. Wouldn’t be the first time MVP has fought someone with a shit record and at least this one will be stupidly entertaining. They’re in the same division, in the same promotion. Get it booked. Yesterday.  

yeh, its a no brainer. Daniels was asked pre-fight about it and didnt seem that bothered, think he said something about maybe down the line. Fuck that! the records mean jack shit here, it needs to happen.

I missed the Cyborg fight as some boxing youtube channel i follow spoilt it annoyingly, i caught everything else though including the prelims i wanted to see.

The Agazarm/Altamimi fight was great, sloppy fun. Agazarm is so underdeveloped as an MMA fighter but clearly so dangerous on the ground, he was hurt badly a couple of times but rallied to win in the 3rd, such an unlikable prick too, was fight of the night for me.

Pico looked solid. Another KO for the highlight reel, a nice year consistent year of winning and he'll be back on track.

It was actually nice to see Sergio Pettis win. Bellator dont have much luck with debuts and whatnot but thats the best ive seen Pettis look. His first stoppage win in 7 years! cunt thinks he's John Fitch.

...Mike Goldberg calling Sergio Pettis one of the finest fighters of all time was ludicrous though. Goldberg's gotta go.

Caldwell smoked Borics. Hard to really say if this was a case of Borics not being what people thought he was or if Caldwell just caught him in a bad position. Caldwell/McKee is excellent though, well up for that.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Its got to the point where Goldberg's involvement is harming the show for me. His commentary literally involves having Sherdog fight finder open in front of him and rolling out records as fights happen.

"* Fighter A...has 8 big wins by knockout in 10 fights, dating back to 2016, he's never been stopped by strikes but has been submitted. He's fought in this building twice before. Big John McCarthey refereed one of his fights back in 2014...HERE WE GO"

fuck off.

Edited by Egg Shen

Jordan Breen's theory is that Rogan kept honest Goldie honest in the UFC. He would also tell Goldie to pipe down if he started uttering nonsense. Whereas Big John, as a close personal friend of Goldie', allows him to coast, and in turn, becomes complacent himself.

I can believe it. Big John is always more tolerable when teamed up with Mauro. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Bring back Stephen Quadros and Bas Rutten!

There was a time when I’d have genuinely loved to see that. Pride era Quadros and Rutten might just be my favourite MMA commentary team ever. But I don’t know what Quadros has been doing the last few years and I haven’t heard Bas commentate for ages. And when I last did he was phoning it in and couldn’t seem much less arsed if he tried. 

Edited by wandshogun09

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

There was a time when I’d have genuinely loved to see that. Pride era Quadros and Rutten might just be my favourite MMA commentary team ever. But I don’t know what Quadros has been doing the last few years and I haven’t heard Bas commentate for ages. And when I last did he was phoning it in and couldn’t seem much less arsed if he tried. 

Bas sometimes pops up on Ludwig's Youtube Channel. I think he occasionally does seminars at Ludwig's gym. Quadros is pushing 70 and I haven't heard much from him in years. 

And aye, they are my favourite commentary team as well. Either them, or the Bas and Mauro duo that followed them.