Bellator 238 - Budd vs Cyborg - January 25th

David

Who Wins & How?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, after mentioning it in the Bellator ~Megathread~ I figured I'd chuck this together for discussion of this event and the results from it. It's not Wand-level shit, but what is?

So, here's the card:

Julia Budd vs Cris Cyborg (Women's featherweight title)

Adam Borics vs. Darrion Caldwell (featherweight grand prix quarter final)

Juan Archuleta vs. Henry Corrales

Alfred Khashakyan vs. Sergio Pettis

Raymond Daniels vs. Jason King

Emilee King vs. Ava Knight

Aaron Pico vs. Daniel Carey*

AJ Agazarm vs. Adel Altamimi*

Mario Navarro vs. Jay Jay Wilson*

Miguel Jacob vs. David Pacheco*

Chris Avila vs. Anthony Taylor*

Curtis Millender vs. Moses Murrietta*

Brandon Bender vs. Joshua Jones*

Dominic Clark vs. Ricardo Seixas Filho*

Tony Bartovich vs. Jarrett Connor*

*Prelims fights, which are being shown live on MMAJunkie.com

As I mentioned in the other thread, I wouldn't be surprised to see Budd win this one. I think Cyborg may be coming to the end of her reign as a dominant force in the sport. Recent talk of starting a family and suchlike must be weighing on her mind as she approaches her 35th birthday. Is the timing right for Budd to score an impressive win?

• Paid Members

This is live on Sky Sports Arena as well in case anyone was wondering. Starts at 3am.

Only just realised Curtis Millender is there on the prelims! See, another reason why these shows should have their own threads. I probably wouldn’t have known at all otherwise. Really liked Millender in the UFC. Still think he’s got some potential. 

Bellator’s prelims usually aren’t that strong from what I’ve seen in the past but between Pico, Agazarm and Millender they’ve done a nice job of sprinkling some noteworthy stuff throughout this one. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Bellator’s prelims usually aren’t that strong from what I’ve seen in the past but between Pico, Agazarm and Millender they’ve done a nice job of sprinkling some noteworthy stuff throughout this one. 

its odd, Bellator go a few shows where the prelims are full of local talent then there'll be be one where they load it up. There's 4 fights i see straight off that could be main event fights on other Bellator shows. 

Avila/Taylor is a sneaky little one you might skip over. Avila if you remember came into the UFC with some buzz based off his association with the Diaz brothers but sunk without trace after losing 2 on the bounce. His opponent Anthony Taylor was an old victim of James Gallagher but he's very outspoken so this thing might be worth keeping an eye on, may even be a Diaz sighting?

Regarding the Pico discussion. 

I'd normally say he doesn't deserve a main card slot. However, Bellator have put some right shite on their main cards recently. If possible, they perhaps should have booked him on the main card of one of their smaller shows, rather than putting him on the prelims of this card. 

Some of Bellator's best prospects get buried on their prelims. Logan Storley, Tyree Fortune, etc. It's a problem they need to sort out (IMO).

• Paid Members

The placement on this card is down to location. Pico is a California guy so he'll likely shift a decent amount of tickets regardless of his placement on the card.

Tyrell Fortune is on the maincard of 239 in february 😊

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Tyrell Fortune is on the maincard of 239 in february 😊

Tyrell is the older brother. He's been on the main card a few times. Tyree (the younger brother) is at Light Heavyweight. I don't think he's been featured on a main card yet. 

The placement on this card is down to location. Pico is a California guy so he'll likely shift a decent amount of tickets regardless of his placement on the card.

Alright, fair point. 

i never realised there was a younger brother😄

After checking, they are twins. They were both born in July of 1990. Both are undefeated as professionals. 

Anyway, a lengthy breakdown of Boric vs Caldwell for anyone interested - https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/01/bellator-238-breakdown-darrion-caldwell-adam-borics

• Paid Members

Thought Cyborg looked ace. Her best performance in a while for me and it was against someone who was a formidable opponent on paper and a legit 145er to boot. Budd lost every round but I thought she was giving a decent account of herself early on and landing some nice shots. But Cyborg was just too much beast in the end. Really liked her performance. She didn’t try to just blast Budd out of there early but she still turned it on when the chances presented themselves. Hurt Budd in pretty much every round and even threatened with a triangle and armbar off her back! The finishing barrage was nasty as well. Budd tried her best but that final combo against the cage with Cyborg whipping in that body kick just crumbled her. 

Top stuff from Cyborg. Still wish the whole UFC thing could’ve been worked out because, genuinely, for me, Nunes vs Cyborg 2 would be one of the best fights to make right now. It’s a crime that can’t happen. Especially as neither has an obvious next opponent now. There isn’t much out there for Cyborg at this point and that rematch would’ve been ideal for around April/May time. Shame. Although, that said, I’m sure she’ll be happier in this environment. There isn’t the backstage hostility in Bellator and she’s always had a good relationship with Coker. It’s a better fit for her. Just a shame the fights aren’t there. It’s not much better in the UFC at 145, but opposition will be even more thin on the ground now. 

Am I forgetting someone obvious or is Cyborg now the first fighter to win titles in UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator? I’ve got a feeling I’m forgetting someone but I’m drawing a blank on who that would be. 

Elsewhere, Darrion Caldwell pissed right through Borics, didn’t he? Bit disappointed, to be honest. Was looking forward to a good fight but that’s how it goes sometimes. Very impressive from Caldwell. 

Didn’t think Archuleta vs Corrales was as bad a fight as the crowd seemed to. It was a letdown and not as exciting as I’d anticipated but wasn’t deserving of all the booing. Archuleta’s beard though. Surely that’s unfair padding. I’m usually the first to say it’s silly when the commission make a fighter trim their beard but Archuleta’s was a bit ridiculous.

7-D497-F69-2403-4606-95-CA-E4744-BF73-E7

He might as well have just gone out there in headgear. 

Sergio Pettis had about as perfect a Bellator debut as he could’ve wished for. Brutal finish. Though I thought Frank Trigg let that go way too long. Khashakyan was clearly out and Trigg just stood watching him take more punches and then let Sergio sink in a guillotine on his lifeless body. What the fuck was that? Did he hear Khashakyan was a Matt Hughes fan or something? Terrible stoppage. 

Raymond Daniels did his thing. Why isn’t everyone clamouring for a Daniels vs MVP fight? In fact, why hasn’t Bellator already booked it? I know Daniels is only 2-1 in MMA but fuck it. Wouldn’t be the first time MVP has fought someone with a shit record and at least this one will be stupidly entertaining. They’re in the same division, in the same promotion. Get it booked. Yesterday. 

Ava Knight was the opposite of the Pettis debut. Emilee King did what anyone with a brain would do against a Boxing world champion with a 1-0 MMA record. Grapple the shit out of them. Knight fought it until the end but she just got overwhelmed on the ground. 

Didn’t catch any of the prelims but I see Pico, Agazarm and Millender all picked up wins. Good show all round. Archuleta vs Corrales was the only real disappointment. 

Edited by wandshogun09

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Am I forgetting someone obvious or is Cyborg now the first fighter to win titles in UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator? I’ve got a feeling I’m forgetting someone but I’m drawing a blank on who that would be

I don't think you are forgetting anyone. Mousasi won gold in Bellator, Dream and Strikeforce. Eddie Alvarez won titles in UFC, Bellator, and a handful of smaller promotions. Those are the closest examples I can think of. 

You can also add Invicta to the list of promotions that Cyborg has won titles in.