Favourite story telling tools

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Statto said:

I was pondering fairly recently - when was the last time WWE did a proper "one guy turns on the other then they feud" deal with a proper, established tag team?

They had Roderick Strong turn on Pete Dunne in the Dusty final, but they were a team put together for that tourney (or maybe just before).

The last one I could recall with an actual established team was Cryme Tyme. I'm probably missing something really obvious.

I thought Prime Time Players did it at some point but although they had the feud, they didn't really break up.

• Paid Members

I love friendships that go across the face/heel divide. Like when babyface Sting was teaming with Luger, even though Lex was in the Dungeon of Doom, or when Mikey Whipwreck joined Raven's Nest, even though he hated Raven, because Cactus Jack was his idol and he felt obligated to support him. It felt realistic - certainly more than "well, thanks for all the years of friendship but I guess I need to hate you now". It's a great way to build tension too, because you are constantly expecting a turn. Most recently MJF and Cody had a few great moments where, despite being the biggest dickhead in the world, I actually started to believe that MJF really was Cody's friend. And THEN he turned. Awesome.

I suppose the opposite is true too. Some of my favourite parts of wrestling have been when people who DON'T like each other have to team up against a common threat. Like Michaels and Austin when they'd save each other from the Hart Foundation, and then start fighting themselves.

I'm also a fan of makeshift tag teams. Especially if one guy has to start the match with no partner and then someone unexpected comes in at the last minute to take the hot tag. I actually can't think of a time when that hasn't been good, though I'm sure it has happened.