Favourite story telling tools

tiger_rick

I like a one-night tournament, where events in the previous rounds have a tangible bearing on the matches that follow. WrestleMania IV, with a weary Savage facing a rested Million Dollar Man. King of the Ring '93, when Razor Ramon stomping on his fingers in the first round was still bothering Bret later on. And of course the twists and turns of Survivor Series '98. All of which relied on these tournaments playing out in one night, rather than spread across multiple shows.

• Paid Members

GANG WARFARE! When a dastardly stable of despicable heels are at war with a ragtag group of babyfaces. When done right builds up a massive 8 or 10 man match and in the sides sets up individual feuds and personalities. Plus you get loads of great chaotic brawls in the build up. 

AEW seemed to be doing this with the Inner Circle vs The Elite and it was really exciting but they seemed to have sacked it off for some reason. 

Edited by LaGoosh

Not sure if it's happening this year or has happened recently because I don't really watch much current WWE. I thought about this when reminiscing about the Royal Rumble seeing as it's tomorrow and I'm weighing up during to watch again.

When two wrestlers are in a feud and after the heel enters the Rumble he's on tenterhooks every time the countdown starts. Then gives a great reaction when the face does actually enter.

Flair when Piper comes out in 1992 and Austin when Bret comes out in 1997 immediately come to mind.

Think it's a great tool when this happens and furthers an existing rivalry. Obviously not so much now when guys wrestle reach other every other week, but in the day when matches were less frequent, gold.

Edited by Mark Impact

• Paid Members

I love a big heel faction running the gaff and holding all the gold. Evolution, ’97 Hart Foundation, Undisputed Era. I think it plays into one of WWE’s greatest strengths in that I don’t think any other company is as good at putting together a huge six or eight man tag where everyone’s going crazy and hitting their finishers. 

• Paid Members

GANG WARFARE! When a dastardly stable of despicable heels are at war with a ragtag group of babyfaces.

Particularly when the heels have the advantage of being united in a common cause and the faces all having problems/tensions with one another. The ultimate being Hart Foundation vs USA in 97 where Michaels, Austin and Undertaker, among others, didn't really trust each other. It gave a great extra element for why the heels kept winning beyond "they are bigger/stronger/better" and "they keep cheating".

• Paid Members

The arena-wide brawl where everything breaks down and descends into pure chaos. Especially if it's not been done in ages - makes whatever cause it seem like a big deal. 

https://youtu.be/H2rQPSGbMkA

The sudden heel turn in a tag match is a great one. Especially when the heel is super smug in the act whilst the baby face looks devastated. 

It's so much better when youve got a megastar as the one getting screwed (ala Hulk) 

I love this one in particular. Just such a pure cuntish thing to do. 

Sid plays it to utter perfection! 

I like daft things like contract signings, parties, weddings (all in the ring) where you just know something silly is going to happen, its probably wrestlecrap most of the time but works for me. The Triple H/Stone Cold one posted earlier in the thread is a good example, also the Chuck/Billy wedding is another where its silly but had its twists & turns. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:11 AM, Wideload90 said:

I really enjoyed Ric Flairs last run where he would retire after losing a match. It can't be done regularly but it did keep you guessing and the payoff was memorable.

I love a good streak too. 

I love a winning streak, although I’m struggling to think of one outside of The Undertaker’s that has had a strong pay-off. I enjoy the ride while it lasts, though.

I like references to fictional off-screen aspects that embellish the world created around these matches. Authority figures having to obtain approval from a solemnly trusted board of directors. The winner's share of the purse. "What's he doing at ringside? He doesn't have a manager's licence." Strike an official? "That'll cost him some money."

Basically I like Gorilla Monsoon.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

The sudden heel turn in a tag match is a great one. Especially when the heel is super smug in the act whilst the baby face looks devastated.

I was pondering fairly recently - when was the last time WWE did a proper "one guy turns on the other then they feud" deal with a proper, established tag team?

They had Roderick Strong turn on Pete Dunne in the Dusty final, but they were a team put together for that tourney (or maybe just before).

The last one I could recall with an actual established team was Cryme Tyme. I'm probably missing something really obvious.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I like references to fictional off-screen aspects that embellish the world created around these matches. Authority figures having to obtain approval from a solemnly trusted board of directors. The winner's share of the purse. "What's he doing at ringside? He doesn't have a manager's licence." Strike an official? "That'll cost him some money."

Basically I like Gorilla Monsoon.

My favourite one of those is the IC title's creation, i.e. Pat Patterson unifying the North American title with a completely fictional South American title in a made-up tournament that none of the fanbase could verify easily at the time.