Royal Rumble 2020

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Only watched the men's rumble so far and enjoyed it greatly. 

The crowd was hot and it was good seeing Lesnar mix with different wrestlers with a bit more fire in his belly. 

Edge looked good, yes slimmer and older but still good. I love they moments in wrestling where you can just feel the genuine, raw emotion and it happened here. 

I'm happy for McIntyre. He's originally from my neck of the woods and I've been watching him wrestle since about 2003. He's a good guy with a good head. I've not really seen his more recent work but back in the day he was a bit of a nervous promo imo. That's probably the only thing I could fault him on and even at that I'm basing it on his older work. Hoping he can find his feet longterm in the mainevents. Good guy 

This may be a similar reason that I was so happy to see him win. I've never been into indie wrestling so I have never seen most of the British guys who pop up in the big promotions before they make their debut. With Mcintyre though, he worked a Butlins holiday camp show in about 2005, maybe '06, and me and my son was there(he stood out as being something special)!. It was my sons first ever exposure to wresting at the time and he fell in love with it. It just makes me feel great that one of the reasons he is a fan to this day(which is what, 15 years later? Christ, where does the time go?) is getting a chance to main-event the biggest show in his industry!

Drew is an interesting one. While he went away and improved, I don't think he'll ever be seen as an 'indie' guy in the way Joe, Owens, Zayn, Ricochet etc will be. So he'll be fighting an uphill battle when guys like that are around. However he'll be tolerated more than Roman because he hasn't been shoved down our throats, so he's a happy medium really.

ive only seen Edge’s return on the BT Sport twitter so just presumed that Ziggler and Edge somehow botched the spear and they went to a crowd shot on the replays on the Network or something. 

Nope, they just missed it completely. That’s got to be somebody on a wind up. 

• Paid Members

I went and watched at walkabout in Brum I thought it was brilliant. Best rumble since 2004 for me. Tho that has been tainted now. In fact it might be the best since 92. And I thought the women's was great too untill the ending. Came home buzzing. 

Just now, Mr Kennedy said:

ive only seen Edge’s return on the BT Sport twitter so just presumed that Ziggler and Edge somehow botched the spear and they went to a crowd shot on the replays on the Network or something. 

Nope, they just missed it completely. That’s got to be somebody on a wind up. 

No, just incredibly bad direction 

Fantastic show from top to bottom and the best Rumble match in years. Over the moon for Drew. Hopefully the push isn't too late and they'll fully capitalise on the guy from here on out. The use of Brock was practically everything i hoped it'd be. Lots of fun interactions and bits of storytelling that kept the match hot for the majority of it. Especially loved Keith Lee blowing the roof off the place with a simple shoulder block. God I hope they go back to them two. Seth and crew being a nuisance wrapped things up perfectly and him getting his babyface comeuppance at the end was a nice bit of fan service. Only minor niggle is that I wouldn't have had Edge get dumped in the closing stretch as it took a bit of shine off Drew. Thumbs up Rumble though, can't wait for Drew vs Lesnar!

Decent women's Rumble too. Bianca Belair looked like an utter star and the Otis/Mandy spot was incredible. Also liked Bliss and Cross taking the piss out of the Best Friends, "got to give the people what they want!!" spot. Hated the finish, obviously. It was inevitable outside of the NXT universe that Shayna Baszler's aura would be chipped away at. Still, seeing her come out last only to be dumped out and act like a baby nearly took me out of the rest of the show. Charlotte's great at her best, I get it. But they've Baron Corbin'ed her right down the shitter. Charlotte vs Becky at Mania. Kill me dead.

Sheamus vs Shorty G was a cracking little match with some nifty limb and digit work. Sheamus has to be the one of the most underrated in-ring workers of the last decade. Asuka vs Becky was good fun outside of the idiotic 'knock out' spot. The Fiend vs Bryan over-delivered beyond belief. Daniel Bryan is the gift that keeps on giving. Great work in most dire of circumstances. 

Well up for Raw.

37 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

However he'll be tolerated more than Roman because he hasn't been shoved down our throats

Neither had Seth Rollins, until he had been. And he had way more indie cred than Drew. When dey realise Drew lifts weights and is tall, it'll get tricky. He'll coast for a while on not being Roman, then the penny will drop that he is Roman, just in trunks. If we assume Vince is racist, McIntyre is even more of a wet dream for him than Reigns ever was. I reckon he might be alright until SummerSlam at least, but he'll be getting booed against the fat lads by Christmas. 

Edit: The post above has reminded me - the pre-show match made me really want to see Sheamus vs Pete Dunne!

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't think it was anything other than looking for a surprise slot for the women's Rumble and everything else has been done. Even pointed out on commentary that Phoenix, Kelly and Molly have been back in the last couple of Rumbles. Given the era, I'd bet someone has been looking back at Edge stuff and came across that and thought it'd be funny.

Another year where you’re left wondering what the fuck Victoria did to be blackballed.

I actually punched the air when Drew won.

Absolutely brilliant Rumble matches. My only grumble participants were Kelly Kelly and argubly Santino but they did reek of last minute Sasha replacements. I'm sure she kicked off again when she learnt she wouldn't be winning and would get done by Charlotte last. I'd like to believe that they omitted her to avoid jobbing her to Charlotte again but I don't think they like her!

Men's surprises were exactly who I thought and entered pretty much on cue but Keith and Riddle didn't last long enough. I WAS expecting Goldberg and as they didn't get the deal done that would explain Riddles quick exit (other than rumoured altercation with Brock - but he was already eliminated). Lee could have legitimately been in the final 6 at least. I had no doubt Heavy Machinery wouldn't make it and when they pulled Rusev and Lashley I was not hurt but replacing them with The OC and Cesaro was unfortunate, moreso the OC who didnt help AJ win.

Anyhoo, give me Lesnar/McIntyre and Edge Vs Styles at Mania all day long.

The men's rumble is up there with my favourite ones ever. Loved the stuff with Brock although I think they could have subbed out a few of the guys to take the quick eliminations. John Morrison for example has just come back in and didn't need to be eliminated in under 10 seconds. Could have just put Miz in that position. Wouldn't have put Keith Lee in that position either. Great returns and debuts and the perfect winner. McIntyre Lesnar could be fantastic at Mania. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Philjax said:

My only grumble participants were Kelly Kelly and argubly Santino but they did reek of last minute Sasha replacements. I'm sure she kicked off again when she learnt she wouldn't be winning and would get done by Charlotte last. I'd like to believe that they omitted her to avoid jobbing her to Charlotte again but I don't think they like her!

Isn’t Sasha injured? Or storyline injured at least? She hasn’t wrestled in weeks. 

Loved the mens rumble match as well. Brock was brilliant during this, I wouldn't even mind if next year he attempts to win it again and goes through everybody, thought he was gold in the first half of the rumble. Drew taking out both Brock & Roman was great, I had a horrible feeling Roman would win so Drew taking him got a pop from me just to stop Reigns winning it but am pleased for Drew too. Those Claymore kicks looked brutal. 

Didn't really enjoy the Women's rumble, maybe because it was predictable that Charlotte would win, after a great year last year the women's division feels very flat at the moment. Shame.

Edited by Briefcase

• Awards Moderator

Short thoughts:

Women’s Rumble: good match, wrong winner.

Men’s Rumble: great match, right winner.

Rest of show: fine.

-

Longer thoughts:

Of the non-Rumble matches, Becky vs Asuka was my favourite. We skipped Bayley vs Lacey because we were on a time limit to get through the show. Roman vs Corbin went as expected. Bryan vs Fiend was so homoerotic. I know it’s wrestling but we were watching with a non-fan and the commentary describing the man in the leather mask mounting the man in his underwear and whipping him with a belt before sticking his fingers in his mouth just did her in. We couldn’t take it seriously!

In the Women’s Rumble, my main takeaway was that Bianca Belair looked fantastic out there. Beth did really well with all that blood coming out of the back of her head. You could see the Flair win coming 100 miles off but I’d have loved Shayna to have come in, blasted the lot of them and gone on to win as the biggest threat yet to Becky’s title. I get Flair’s their star but I truly do not want her and Lynch AGAIN.

Men’s Rumble was start-to-finish wonderful. Lesnar running through every fucker was perfectly done. A clear narrative like the Rumble hasn’t had in years and years, with lovely moments in it like his most recent rivals teaming up to try and take him out, his old tag partner thinking he’s got a chance, and so on. Keith Lee looked great in the limited time he got, and I can’t have been alone in thinking he could have done it if Braun hadn’t acted the twat and taken his focus away from Lesnar. Lee vs Strowman to teach him a lesson please.

Of course the whole thing was building to the moment Brock got eliminated, and what a moment! That place went nuts for McIntyre! Brilliant brilliant stuff, and it’s absolutely the right call to have him win as well. Strap. That. Rocket.

Old Man Edge return got me by surprise and was very nice to see. Using the big Raw feud to take out several potential winners in Joe, Owens and Rollins was inspired, and makes the Rumble feel like more than a stand-alone match. The Rated RKO eliminations were great (Randy’s “ffeh!!” reaction especially). And Drew won! Yes!

Paraphrased commentary line of the night: “Randy Orton landed right in my lap!”

Very happy with that Rumble overall.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator