Royal Rumble 2020

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I loved both Rumbles, but as has already been said, the men's was brilliant to watch. When I saw Brock was number one I was worried they were going to do the t'old Brock gets put through a table, and dissapears until the end trick, but his half hour stint was great. I also think Drew was the right person to be given the win to, and I hope they properly strap a rocket to him now.

Only things I think I would have changed, is what they dis with Keith Lee and Riddle(although someone mentioned above there was a rumour of a clash backstage between Brok and Riddle, so maybe that is why he was short changed a bit). I'd have had Lee there towards the end ust brutalising people out like he did when he tackled Adam Cole into the crowd that time.

Edited by Cod Eye

40 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I briefly thought that too, but figured even they wouldn't have two Rumbles feature an eliminated entrant taking out the person who eliminated them.

But they do do it. They did it last night. You can't do it, and then say "we don't do that any more" while you're doing it.

But that’s the point they were trying to make I think. Whether it’s landed successfully or not I don’t know. 

• Paid Members

If you think WWE sent a bloke out in drag to make some deep, post-modern point then I’m not sure what company you’ve been watching since, well, forever.

It wasn’t even as if all the women stopped what they were doing in some big, “fuck this shit,” moment, collectively throwing him out or something. It was just played for the same laughs as last time. The only difference was he didn’t win but other than that it was clearly designed for no other reason than to have Vince chuckling backstage whilst everyone else in the arena and watching at home looks around confused as to why we’ve gone back ten years.

Edited by Supremo

Couple of points coming out of the Rumble

Edge has signed a 3 year deal but is strictly going to be used as a special attraction for big events, he won’t be used regularly like Bryan

There was a reason why Tom Phillips was calling the Raw matches last night, he’s officially replacing Vic Joseph as the voice of the show as of tonight (side note he called the World’s Collide show on Saturday as Mauro was doing a boxing card for Showtime)

40 minutes ago, Supremo said:

If you think WWE sent a bloke out in drag to make some deep, post-modern point then I’m not sure what company you’ve been watching since, well, forever.

It wasn’t even as if all the women stopped what they were doing in some big, “fuck this shit,” moment, collectively throwing him out or something. It was just played for the same laughs as last time. The only difference was he didn’t win but other than that it was clearly designed for no other reason than to have Vince chuckling backstage whilst everyone else in the arena and watching at home looks around confused as to why we’ve gone back ten years.

Well I disagree. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Wrasslin said:

They had him win the battle royal at WrestleMania back in the day. So it’s kind of a nod and a wink to say “we don’t do that anymore”. 

I've read this six times now and it makes less sense each time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I don't think it was anything other than looking for a surprise slot for the women's Rumble and everything else has been done. Even pointed out on commentary that Phoenix, Kelly and Molly have been back in the last couple of Rumbles. Given the era, I'd bet someone has been looking back at Edge stuff and came across that and thought it'd be funny.

It's moments like that of absolute pure joy - genuine emotion - that keep me invested. Sure, he's not up there with Austin or Rock etc, but to be able to come back from what he has and do what he loves again.. this is a guy who I've really enjoyed for many years and met on a few occasions and I honestly couldn't be happier for him.

People often wonder why I love wrestling so much but you don't get such a lengthy relationship with many other things.

Only watched the men's rumble so far and enjoyed it greatly. 

The crowd was hot and it was good seeing Lesnar mix with different wrestlers with a bit more fire in his belly. 

Edge looked good, yes slimmer and older but still good. I love they moments in wrestling where you can just feel the genuine, raw emotion and it happened here. 

I'm happy for McIntyre. He's originally from my neck of the woods and I've been watching him wrestle since about 2003. He's a good guy with a good head. I've not really seen his more recent work but back in the day he was a bit of a nervous promo imo. That's probably the only thing I could fault him on and even at that I'm basing it on his older work. Hoping he can find his feet longterm in the mainevents. Good guy 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

How long until dey turn on McIntyre?

I thought he would be fine, as he has considerable indie cred from his blast through the Independents in the mid-10's. 

But I've been listing to POST Wrestling RR post-show, and they loved it. They gushed about it (whilst appropriately pointing out the things that where shit). But they also liked that Drew was the winner, as it created a new star and contender for Brock.

Then they opened up the floor for phone calls, and this guy who sounded like he come back home to fins his boss banging his missus called in;

"Uh, hi guys...I wanna talk about how disappointed I am in the Rumble...There are so many great talkers and great wrestlers...You have Kevin Owens, you have Samoa Joe...They have their moment and they just get jobbed out at the end. These are the people that need to be headlining WrestleMania, and it's just so sad to see them get done like that".

So my hope in Drew being this mega babyface all the way until 'Mania are a bit dashed.