Royal Rumble 2020

tiger_rick

Imagine having Matt Riddle booked for the Rumble and not having him come out until after Brock was eliminated.

Should’ve given him Ricochet’s spot IMO.

I also agree that Drew didn’t need to win. Him eliminating Lesnar was more than enough to justify a Mania match but oh well.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I also agree that Drew didn’t need to win. Him eliminating Lesnar was more than enough to justify a Mania match but oh well.

What was the viable alternative? If it's Drew/Lesnar and Roman/Fiend then it could only be Roman and that is such a dreadful retread. McIntyre had to win if he's facing Lesnar. Also, I don't know how anyone can watch that last few mins and see what an absolute star he looked in winning and think otherwise.

Edited by tiger_rick

11 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

Is Sasha Banks injured? 

PW Insider reported that she was due to be in the Rumble but Kelly Kelly took her place, must be injured

Where have Peyton and Billie been the past few months? 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

What was the viable alternative? If it's Drew/lesnar and Roman/Fiend then it had to be Roman and that is such a dreadful retread. McIntyre had to win if he's facing Lesnar. Also, I don't know how anyone can watch that last few mins and see what an absolute star he looked in winning and think otherwise.

Just off the top of my head (and I’ll probably get shit for this...) but how about Baron Corbin? Then have him put his Mania match on the line against Roman at some point before Wrestlemania?

I totally see your point though. I just felt like the longer Drew was in the match, the less of a big deal him taking out Lesnar started to feel.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I totally see your point though. I just felt like the longer Drew was in the match, the less of a big deal him taking out Lesnar started to feel.

I'd agree if he hadn't won. But then he did. And that felt great for him. A genuinely star-making performance if they follow-up.

22 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Glad they went ahead with McIntyre winning- it would've been a massive waste if they didn't capitalise on him eliminating Brock. They made the right choice there. Still a big surprise for me- have they been positioning him to step up to the main event?

Yes, pretty much. They reset him as a babyface, had him winning some squash matches and getting his countdown to his finisher over and they've had him mixing it with Orton lately and cutting a couple of decent promos that felt a big deal. It wasn't quite out of nowhere. Going in it certainly felt like it was only going to be him or Roman winning it.

• Paid Members

if I were booking it, considering they had Drew stare a hole in Brock Lesnar for ages after he was eliminated, I'd have had a heel cheap shot him and fuck him off out of the Rumble while that was going on. Maybe have it lead to a brawl around ringside with Lesnar to establish that Drew vs. Brock is still where the focus needs to be, and so Drew looks less of a chump.

That way, Drew's story coming out of the Rumble is still that he has a beef with Brock, Brock can be pissed off that Drew eliminated him and issue the challenge for Wrestlemania, Drew can look like a bad-ass for walking right up to Lesnar, looking him in the eye, and accepting his challenge - because how many people have done that? And in the meantime, we still have a Saudi show and Elimination Chamber to get through, plus however many weeks of TV, when Lesnar's not going to be showing up every week. Drew could have spent that time having a secondary feud with the guy who eliminated him.

Meanwhile, the Rumble win going to someone else could have been used to set up the match for the Smackdown title. Logically I'd say that's Roman vs. The Fiend, but it didn't have to be. Could have been a RAW guy making the jump to Smackdown, could have been a part-timer. Could have The Fiend drop the belt in the Elimination Chamber, and set up something entirely different for Wrestlemania. 

Whether Drew winning the whole thing was the right decision will depend on how well they capitalise on this win moving forward, as it could/should be a star-making performance, but how often do WWE follow through on one of those?

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Leading into the show, I wanted them to try and make two stars, one out of the Lesnar elimination and then another out of whoever won. In retrospect, I was wrong. I'm much happier that the same guy did both because this company has been in desperate fucking need of a new star for the longest time, so to see them throw all their eggs into one basket and pull a trigger like they haven't done in years was fantastic. It's about a year a half behind schedule with Drew, but who cares. They've finally, properly pulled the trigger on someone new, who just so happens to look the business and deliver in and out of the ring. I'm made up.

As has already been mentioned, that Otis spot is the greatest Royal Rumble moment ever. Absolutely inspired.

And yeah, whilst I wasn't particularly fussed about Edge when the rumours were swirling, I can't lie. I was grinning like a dickhead for his return. He looked really good too and there were a couple of interactions during the match that piqued my interest. Edge vs. Roman, Edge vs. AJ, even Edge vs. Orton. All feel fresh and exciting. Plus, fuck me does Smackdown need someone like Edge to liven it up a bit.

Charlotte though. Bore off.

Edited by Supremo

42 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Having a bloke dressed in drag in the women’s rumble.

”women’s wrestling”

I mean I think that’s the point. They had him win the battle royal at WrestleMania back in the day. So it’s kind of a nod and a wink to say “we don’t do that anymore”. But sure take it at face value if you like

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

With Drew staring through Brock for ages and Brock leaving through the crowd I did think there would be a Brock run in later on to eliminate Drew and have Roman pick up the win.

I briefly thought that too, but figured even they wouldn't have two Rumbles feature an eliminated entrant taking out the person who eliminated them.

1 minute ago, Wrasslin said:

I mean I think that’s the point. They had him win the battle royal at WrestleMania back in the day. So it’s kind of a nod and a wink to say “we don’t do that anymore”. But sure take it at face value if you like

But they do do it. They did it last night. You can't do it, and then say "we don't do that any more" while you're doing it.

• Paid Members

Enjoyed both Rumbles. Women’s was a lot better than last year. Disappointed with Charlotte winning and not Shayna. I know Charlotte is a star but I’m just sick of her and want her away from the title scene for a good year. And especially away from Becky. 

The Brock stuff was entertaining. Being confronted by some the ghosts of his past made for some fun interactions. Loved the whole bit with Shelton. 

I’ve always liked Edge and that was a cool moment. Biggest rumble pop since Cena in 08. Shame they missed his first spear and I think they missed most of his last spear to show Orton. Shoddy camera work. 

Happy for Drew winning. He’s the perfect guy to push. A tall, well built, handsome fucker. He looks like a star. Just hope he can push on and turn that on more in the ring. 

The rest of the show was mostly forgettable. Sheamus vs Gable on the pre show and Becky vs Asuka were good matches though.