Royal Rumble 2020

tiger_rick

2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That spot with Otis laying on the floor was the greatest in Rumble history though.

That was fantastic! I'd hoped to see Mandy return the favour in the men's match, but A) it would've killed her, and B) it turned out that the announced list of entrants for the men's rumble was just a lie anyway, which was a bit of a masterstroke in itself. I think at the point when Edge entered the match, there were no more "surprise" entrants left, based on the posters/lineup.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Remember how much Bob Backlund seemed like a relic from a bygone age when he returned in 1992? Edge was gone for a year longer than Backlund's hiatus.

That is an interesting point. It's harder to judge because I suspect 99% of us became fans in the years Backlund was away. He also was completely away. There's a good chance a 9 year old fan now has never heard of Edge but there's also a good chance they've seen him on Raw or on the E&C podcast, they've collected his action figures or seen classic matches or collections on the Network. 

It's a completely different world to ours with our double tape of Mania 4 and one old figure you let the dog have because it's arms didn't move!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, King Pitcos said:

That was fantastic! I'd hoped to see Mandy return the favour in the men's match, but A) it would've killed her, and B) it turned out that the announced list of entrants for the men's rumble was just a lie anyway, which was a bit of a masterstroke in itself. I think at the point when Edge entered the match, there were no more "surprise" entrants left, based on the posters/lineup.

Yes, that got me too. Absolutely genius. They should fuck with people more often.

51 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

The women's one was a bit problematic. Harlot didn't need another win, and Vince using Santino to take an unnecessary potshot at AEW and Nyla Rose was uncalled for.

Fairly sure it had nothing to do with Nyla rose and was just a nod to Beth’s history and probably a way of showing how far women’s wrestling has come in WWE

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Remember how much Bob Backlund seemed like a relic from a bygone age when he returned in 1992? Edge was gone for a year longer than Backlund's hiatus.

Edge is also older than Bob Backlund was in 1992.  Backlund's gimmick was this old todger coming back from the past.

• Paid Members

I'm not overly fussed about Edge being properly back, as he's not someone I've ever had "dream matches" in mind for, but there's been so little variety in the last 10 years, and so few bonafide stars, or even recognisable midcard acts to bring back for a nostalgia pop, that it was nice to see him get a huge reaction. If he's sticking around, I'm surprised they didn't use the Rumble to set up an angle for him moving forward, unless he's going to be working Orton.

Women's Rumble was fine barring the closing stretch - no interest in Charlotte winning, and Santino being in there was beyond a joke, particularly as he then just eliminated himself rather than having any of the women in the match take him out, so it's not like anyone benefited from it. That they presumably kept Beth in the ring looking like she'd been shot in the back of the head for as long as they did just for the sake of that spot is absurd.

Loved Brock's run in the men's Rumble. After the first couple I thought, "Jesus, how long can they drag this out for", but then each new entrant felt like an increasingly convincing hope spot and an opportunity to see Brock mix it up with people he'd never normally wrestle. He'd dragged things down to basics so much that Keith Lee got one of the biggest pops of the night for a shoulder block. What a pro.
I thought it went downhill after Brock went out, and don't think Drew needed to win. The longer he stayed in after getting Lesnar out, the more him eliminating Brock stopped feeling like a "moment". Drew didn't need the win to get a title match with Lesnar - Brock could very easily have issued the challenge himself to seek revenge, and they could have used the Rumble win to set up a match with someone else for the other belt. I always think a good Rumble should progress multiple stories, not just the winner's.

1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Fairly sure it had nothing to do with Nyla rose and was just a nod to Beth’s history and probably a way of showing how far women’s wrestling has come in WWE

Having a bloke dressed in drag in the women’s rumble.

”women’s wrestling”

• Paid Members

This was the first time I've watched WWE since last Wrestlemania, I think (well, I did watch Worlds Collide yesterday). Doesn't feel like I've missed a great deal. 

Rumble matches were ok. Glad they went ahead with McIntyre winning- it would've been a massive waste if they didn't capitalise on him eliminating Brock. They made the right choice there. Still a big surprise for me- have they been positioning him to step up to the main event? Him VS Brock makes loads of sense and sounds fresh. Watching them square up, with the more-ripped McIntyre looking down at Brock- that's a genuine threat right there. FAR more believable than closed cup mushroom-nobbed Seth Rollins was last year. 

Edge- meh. Great pop for him, but add me to the list of those that was never a massive fan. I always enjoyed him, but he never really blew me away. He looked in tremendous shape though, good for him. 9 years- that's mental. Although he'd retired by the time I started watching wrestling again (late 2010), it's still mad to think how quickly that time has gone. Nice directing to have us miss his first spear as soon as he entered the ring. 

Women's Rumble was ok but not as good as the mens. Good showcases for some of the NXT women, although quite a few were clearly unknown to most (Dakota Kai, Tegan Nox, Xia Li) so they came out to crickets. Where we the Iiconics?? Chelsea Green was well-presented, as a result looked like a much bigger deal than the aforementioned three, and I understand she's only just started appearing on WWE tv. Shayna looked boss and I was really hoping they'd go for the unexpected and have her win. Shayna VS Becky writes itself given the Ronda storyline. But on the other hand, Charlotte was by far the biggest star in that match. I just don't see a women's match anywhere near main event level for Wrestlemania as it stands.

Urgh, Kelly fucking Kelly and her stupid grin. I like Santino, but really felt they could've done without that.

That's probably me done for another year, well once my 1 month free trial ends. It was alright, but isn't pushing me to keep the network for Mania. See you all in a year's time!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Having a bloke dressed in drag in the women’s rumble.

”women’s wrestling”

a transphobic bloke who dislikes intergender wrestling dressed in drag, which makes the whole thing even skeezier than the first time around. 

Was there not an actual female comedy act that could have been put in that spot if they were that desperate for hokey laughs? Vickie Guerrero not answering the phone?

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Lesnar's reign of terror, Keith Lee killing it (and Brock's amazing "OH SHIT" reaction to Keith), and Edge's incredible return, made for a really fun men's Rumble that I'm glad I decided to watch before work.

I still have no desire to watch WWE regularly though. The shoddy camera work...King Corbin...Michael Cole? No thanks.

I've said it before but the roster is SO STACKED yet I just can't bring myself to care enough to watch , even on a monthly basis. The talent is certainly not at fault for 99% of my issues with WWE. The Rumble has always been a good time to dip and be reminded of this. It's a shame.

I mean, how the fuck do you miss Edge's first spear? A gigantic moment, but their production staff are too busy focusing on the fucking crowd. WE CAN HEAR THEM, WE KNOW THEY ARE LOSING THEIR MINDS. 

But still, a really enjoyable 75 minutes.