Best run of annual PPVs

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

What was the best run of annual PPVs? What event consistently delivered the good, years after year? I've had a long, boring day at work and have asked myself this question.

For me, a mediocre/average show can be saved by a great one the year after. Two okay shows in a row? Streak over. One bad show after a great show? Streak over. One bad show after a mediocre show? Streak over. Harsh, but I don't make the rules here.

I'm picking the Royal Rumble for this one.

Royal Rumble: 2000 - 2004

What came before it?

The '98 and '99 both suffer from the same problem; great WWF championship matches, Rumble matches that have to rely on Steve Austin for any heat or crowd reaction, and attitude era filler in the undercard. Both are average at best but it's mainly nostalgia fueling most of the PPV time and it hasn't aged well for me.

What's in the streak? 

The 2000 Rumble is obviously a lauded, landmark PPV. The tables match, Tazz's debut, MSG looking superb, Cactus vs Foley. The Rumble is a bit crap but that doesn't distract from how great the overall package is.

2001 had a cracking ladder match between Jericho and Benoit, and the Rumble was pretty fucking decent. None of the other undercard matches overstayed their welcome either, despite the tasteless Chyna injury angle.

2002 is a weird'un. It's got a hot crowd and a pretty good Rumble, but the undercard is underwhelming. Jericho/Rock and Vince/Flair could've been much better but both had their moments. Thumbs in the middle.

2003 gets us back on track with a cool little show, with it's only downfall being Torrie Wilson vs Dawn Marie and the infamous Steiner/HHH disaster. Past these though and the show is saved by he Rumble itself (a really, really fun match that has tons going on), Benoit/Angle having a classic and I really dig the opener with Brock and Big Show battling for the #30 spot (which should be on every Rumble PPV in this poster's humble opinion).

2004 has a fucking belter of a Rumble that's been lost because of that bastard Benoit. But the undercard is also below-par. Brock vs Holly, anyone? Trips vs HBK in overly long Last Man Standing wankfest that doesn't even have a winner? Rey/Noble and Eddie/Chavo all deciding to phone it in? Not for me but the Rumble saves the show.

THE STREAK...is over.

After a middling 2004 edition, 2005 is really no different and this is where the streak ends. A lot of people seem to like this show, but for me it's not got a lot going for it. The Rumble is fine for a mid-00's edition. There's fun to be had, the finish is iconic, but not their best effort. The undercard, much like 2004, features two big matches that read good on paper (HHH/Orton and HBK/Edge) but are both overly long and barely get out of third gear. The rest of the card, including the woeful 'Taker/Heiden' casket match, isn't up to much cop either. Boo-urns.

I'll have a go at some others when I've had a proper think. SummerSlam is easy and I've got an idea for WrestleMania, but the likes of Survivor Series will need a serious look. 

• Paid Members

Wrestlemania 17-21 for me. Starts with the best Wrestlemania ever and ends with the crowning of Batista and Cena. In between you have Rock vs Hogan, Benoit winning the belt, the first ever MITB, the last ever Rock vs Austin and there’s barely any dud matches in there.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Summerslam is where my mind first went. 2000 to 2003 are all PPVs I really enjoy - although you may have to be unencumbered by expectations to like 2001 as much as I do.

I don’t suppose Takeovers count...

Summerslam was also my first go-to but I thought it was too easy. My run would be 98'-'02. I have a lot of nostalgic love for '99 and '01 is probably the best PPV in the Invasion feud.

I didn't think of Takeovers but fire away! What with the downgrade in Takeover quality in 2019, it's going to be really interesting to see if any streaks are broken this year.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Wrestlemania 17-21 for me. Starts with the best Wrestlemania ever and ends with the crowning of Batista and Cena. In between you have Rock vs Hogan, Benoit winning the belt, the first ever MITB, the last ever Rock vs Austin and there’s barely any dud matches in there.

Mine would be different as I cannot stand 'Mania 18. Rock/Hogan is an all-timer but the rest of the card doesn't stack up, with a lot of matches bordering on pointless/bad/boring. My 'Mania streak would start at 19 but I'd have to have another look.

Survivor Series 87 - 90. Ok - so not the best when it comes to wrestling, but those cards were stacked with every big name in some great team-ups. There were some good matches, the like we'll never see again such as the multi-tag team bouts from 87/88 and a few surprises along the way too - the surprisingly good woman's match from I think 87, the debut of the Undertaker and the fact that you never knew who was going to 'survive'.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Summerslam is where my mind first went. 2000 to 2003 are all PPVs I really enjoy - although you may have to be unencumbered by expectations to like 2001 as much as I do.

Same here although I thought 88-91 which is a run of shows I love. I was going to point out 2001 is shit but you've done it yourself.

17 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Royal Rumble: 2000 - 2004

Similarly here. Can't get on board with 2002 at all. 90-92 though are three cracking PPVs.

2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm on a run of disagreeing so I'll do so here too. 18 is a dreadful Mania. 19 isn't great either although Shawn & Jericho and Vince & Hogan do save it somewhat. Rock & Austin isn't bad but it's just not Rock & Austin good.

Tried to think of a run of really good Manias and I'm not sure there really is one. Plenty of good ones but almost always followed by a meh or poor show.

Now if we're talking about runs of quality shows, let's talk WWE's Great American Bash!

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

46 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Survivor Series 87 - 90. Ok - so not the best when it comes to wrestling, but those cards were stacked with every big name in some great team-ups. 

That's the thing, it all depends on what you class as a good PPV really doesn't it? 

I've always thought that Wrestlemanias 5 to 8 were a good little run of shows, but that's at least partially clouded by childhood nostalgia I suppose. I could happily go back and watch any 80's or early 90's show and the big names would be more than enough to get me through them.

WM 2000 was an appalling show but I've always thought that WM19 was tremendously underrated, but on the flipside I've never bothered going back to watch WM18 apart from Hogan v Rock.

• Paid Members

6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Tried to think of a run of really good Manias and I'm not sure there really is one. Plenty of good ones but almost always followed by a meh or poor show.

21 - 24 is probably the most consistent top to bottom run I can think of.