WWE on Channel 5

mim731

• Paid Members

Looks like WWE will be airing on Channel 5, with en edited version of Raw/Smackdown

https://deadline.com/tag/channel-5/

Channel 5, ViacomCBS’s free-to-air network in the UK, has inked a deal to show highlights of WWE wrestling shows Raw and SmackDown every week.
From February 2, Channel 5 will show hour-long highlights of SmackDown on Saturdays at 10:30AM, while Raw will air at the same time on a Sunday. It follows Comcast’s Sky losing wrestling rights to BT Sport last year.

As part of the ViacomCBS deal, NXT UK will air on Paramount Network on a Wednesday from 12AM, while content will also be made available on Channel 5’s streaming service My5, including reality shows Total Divas and Miz & Mrs.

James Tatam, vice president of commercial, digital and operations for Channel 5, said: “WWE has strong appeal throughout the UK and across generations so we’re very excited to be bringing their high-quality entertainment to an even bigger free-to-air audience in the UK.”

Did not see that coming. 

Don’t think anyone did let’s be honest but it’s a great move as long as they don’t go all WCW on us, NXTUK being FTA is the bigger news though it’s airing at a bit of a daft time, all 3 shows being on catch up will mean more eyes on the product hopefully 

Funny how it’s taken for Sky losing their stranglehold for all this to happen though

So, Smackdown on Saturdays and Raw on Sunday.  I wonder if Smackers will be the previous night's show....I'd assume not and it will be a week old as Raw will be 6 days old when it gets shown.

Pretty good deal for WWE though as I'd assume BT Sports has a much lower viewership overall than Sky Sports, so getting something on channels everyone can get for free, even if it's a week old and highlights, that's still going to allow for more casual eyes to catch it.

• Paid Members

Be interesting to see if it works out for them and whether the audience is there these days. Obviously as kids, most of us would have wet our pants at wrestling being on a proper telly channel on a Saturday and Sunday morning, even if it was 600 days behind. Not sure if there's a way of knowing whether it attracts a genuine audience of potential new viewers or just us same saddos who watch some/all of it anyway.

NXT UK on a channel most people have ever heard of isn't much of a big deal, for me. Will see if the viewing figures are anything to get excited about.

I was wondering yesterday how the move from Sky to BT may effect their UK market as regardless to whether the money BT paid them was equal or more than Sky, drastically fewer people must have it which in time could have seriously hurt their merchandise and tour ticket sales.

Having a highlights show on one of the main 5 free to air channels is huge as even if Channel 5 didn't pay anything at all for it the money they will make in people who previously had no access buying merchandise and potentially network subs will be huge.

Even though it's likely not been the case whatsoever I do love the idea of Vince taking a financially low income deal on any main 5 TV channel who were interested with no consideration given to it having any other benefits to him than it just being the ultimate shithousery to AEW and their weekly slot on free to air TV here.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Is this because of AEW on ITV4? 

Suspect it's just because the move to BT has opened up more opportunities that Sky had contractually under wraps.

They'll definitely have been watching on with interest as AEW got a slot on terrestrial. They'll look to counter any way they can as we've seen with NXT's move to USA.