So Triple H has to go to work with his trousers falling down now? Funny questions from non/new fans.

Maikeru

My 4 year old asked me this the other night after watching Shawn Michaels win the World Heavyweight Title belt from Triple H in the 2002 Survivor Series elimination chamber. It took me a second before recalling a conversation from like three weeks ago when he asked me why I had to put on a belt, and I replied that I can't go to work with my trousers falling down. 

Any funny questions you've had from mums/dads/kids/mates unfamiliar with the business? 

• Paid Members

For some reason, the most unspeakably shit/embarassing stuff always happens when someone you know is happening to watch the TV at the same time.

I'll never forget the look my Dad gave me as in "You see why I tried every way to stop you watching this shit" while watching WM8 and Gorilla Monsoon proclaimed the Undertaker to be a "cold blooded individual."

Thinking back, Gorilla Monsoon was fucking horrendous at always going over the top with the hyperbole.

But thank god I wasn't a Shawn Michaels fan back in 1995/96. The fucking state of his merchandise. I'd have been rightfully bullied at school being seen dead in anything like this.

Vintage-WWF-Shawn-Michaels-HBK-Hat-Glass

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

The gyrating, flamboyant costumes, all a bit 'gay' to a non fan walking in. 

That's nothing compared to the embarrassment of buying wrestling magazines as a child/early teen during the 90's, which all fucking insisted on having half naked men adorn the front page every single month.

Imagine having to buy this as a 13 year old?

3962341339898859612.jpg

Honestly, those in the bubble have no clue as to how wrestling comes across to normal people.

Edited by garynysmon

Even the likes of Power Slam would have Rock/Austin/HHH on the cover in all their oiled up, muscled glory. Was no need for that cos anyone buying an insider mag was already clearly a fan. I resorted to getting my mam to buy it each month when she was doing the grocery shop, so I wouldn't keel over with embarrassment buying it off a lad who I went to school withs da who owned the newsagents, or the slightly older and intimidating teenage girls working there.

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Chalk me up for another magazine buying incident. When purchasing this at the age of 10....

91yx1wfMRoL._SX425_.jpg

The lady at the till took one look and said, rather tactfully, "What in the bloody hell is this?"

Amazing. How did you respond? And what do you wish you'd said?

The only thing I could, I meekly offered up, "It's wrestling". That didn't seem to clear anything up for the till lady who shook her head and sneered in disgust as she asked for the cash.

Now, I wish I'd told her anything. A games magazine. The latest Empire and those are villains in the new Clooney Batman. Reader's Digest Expanded. Anything else. Even, "Hey, you're selling it" would suffice.

• Paid Members

Might as well change the thread title to "Embarrassing encounters with non-fans".

Queuing outside the tiny Planet Nightclub in Wolverhamption for Fight Club Pro back in 2012/2013, and some lads who were well into their pre-drinking for the night, wondered over to check out the big queue.

"What's all this for?", one of them asked aloud.

One of the guys queuing behind me said something like, "It's for a pro wrestling show!" and we all cringed hard.

"What, like fucking Hulk Hogan and Stone Cold and that? In there?!? Fuuuuuuck of!!!" and the lads wandered away laughing. 

Embarrassing for me, and embarrassing for my mate who I had hyped up this show to.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I was buying an FMW death match comp at university and the lad at the pc next to me asked if anyone really dies.

I chuckled at his joke before realising it was a genuine question. I pointed out it was wrestling which still left him unsure and I had to reassure him no one actually fights to the death on a 99p + PnP dvd off eBay.

He was a nob though, and once asked if I wanted him to go to the toilets with me when I was nipping for a piss in a similar laugh-realise it's not a joke-explain why that's a silly question moment.

Edited by Tommy!