UFC Auckland: Felder vs Hooker - Feb 22 šŸ‡³šŸ‡æ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 22nd February in Auckland, New Zealand...

94620495-F93-A-4-A8-F-B07-E-8-D9-A63-CC9

ESPN+Ā MAIN CARD
Paul Felder vs Dan Hooker

Michal Oleksiejczuk vs Jim Crute

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs YanĀ XiaonanĀ 

Ben Sosoli vs Marcos Rogerio De LimaĀ 

Magomed Mustafaev vs Brad Riddell

Zubaira Tukhugov vs Kevin AguilarĀ 

Ā 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASSĀ PRELIMS
Jalin Turner vs Joshua CulibaoĀ 

Jake Matthews vs Emil Meek

Song Kenan vs Callan PotterĀ 

Kai Kara-France vs Tyson Nam

Angela Hill vs Loma LookboonmeeĀ 

Maki Pitolo vs Takashi Sato

PriscilaĀ CachoeiraĀ vs Shana DobsonĀ 
Ā 

I really like this. Big fan of that main event and thereā€™s enough scattered through the undercard that I like to keep my interest.Ā 

Ā 

CE4-A3086-F805-48-FD-AB4-E-B58-E6564-C3-

Paul Felder vs Dan Hooker will be aĀ fun one. Iā€™m glad theyā€™re giving these two the main event spotlight and 5 rounds to work with. Both are usually in entertaining fights so matching them against each other seems like a no brainer. Plus itā€™s in Auckland where Hooker was born and raised so thatā€™s the crowdā€™s investment sorted. On top of that, itā€™s actually become a little bit of a grudge match. It started respectfully but over time thereā€™s definitely been some competitive rivalry bubbling up.

This one actually goes back to April 2018. Hooker had just scored arguably his best career win to date, knocking out Jim Miller in a round. And Felder, who was on colour commentary duties that night, got in the cage to do the post-fight interview. And when Felder did the standard ā€˜who do you want to fight next?ā€™ question, Hooker called out Felder. It was pretty cool and they were both respectful about it.

For whatever reason though, it never came together at that time. Felder went on to loseĀ a split decision to Mike Perry butĀ he followed that with two big wins over James Vick and Edson Barboza. Hooker went 3-1 over his next 4 fights. The only loss was to Barboza. But he scored first round knockouts against Gilbert Burns and James Vick. Then at UFC 243 in October, he firmly put himself on the radar with an impressive points win over Al Iaquinta. He looked great in that fight and really outclassed Raging Al in the striking. It was the best performance of his career so far.

In November, with both men coming off a couple of nice wins and a show in Auckland coming up, it all just fell into place and Felder vs Hooker was finally made official. I donā€™t even really know how the needle started but I did see this exchange on Twitter.Ā 

407-C02-A5-F63-A-43-EE-8-B7-B-EF2-AC5-A3

798-C9668-88-ED-4-E36-98-CA-CCE1597-D7-C

Nothing major there but they definitely werenā€™t buddies like in their initial callout. Then in early December they did some media in New Zealand to promote the event and did the customary face-off for the cameras. Nothing crazy happened, there was no brawling like Jones and DC or biting legs like Lewis and Tyson. But it was intense stuff.Ā 

D847451-D-B306-490-B-9-E48-8-D5-D85-CFD4

ā€œAs far as intensity, that was real. I went down to New Zealand expecting a little bit of that from Dan because of how we interacted on social media. We kind of went back and forth a little bit. But thatā€™s what itā€™s all about. Weā€™re two guys that are trying to rally for a title shot after this one. Weā€™re in each otherā€™s way.Ā 

Iā€™m invading into his country. My whole plan is to knock his ass out in front of all his friends and family and take that money and get out of there and go on to a title shot.ā€ - Paul Felder

That kind of talk didnā€™t go unnoticed by Hooker. And it didnā€™t go down well.

ā€œItā€™s definitely crossed that line for me. I didnā€™t feel that this fight needed any of that. I didnā€™t feel like this fight needed anything added to it, you know? Weā€™re two of the best, weā€™re both just brawlers, we love to come in there and throw down. I donā€™t think it was necessary but if he wants to start throwing those things out there, Iā€™m not going to sit back and take it. Iā€™m going to retaliate, Iā€™m going to bring the heat and yeah, itā€™s definitely crossed the line for me, gone into a very personal nature.

Iā€™m going to fold that boy like a deck chair, I promise you. I think itā€™s going to be a fast start. Whether it happens in the first or the fifth, I donā€™t care. Itā€™s up to him. Itā€™s when he wants to take those risks. But Iā€™m chinning that boy, I promise.ā€ - Dan HookerĀ 

šŸ˜‚ ā€œchinningā€. You never hear that in MMA.

So yeah, thereā€™s some bad blood there. Theyā€™re both talking about title shots but I donā€™t think either of them are going to get a look in with the current Lightweight landscape. Weā€™ve got Khabib vs Ferguson to get though first. Then youā€™ve got Justin Gaethje waiting in the wings and whatever happens with Conor McGregor. Plus the possibility of immediate rematches if thereā€™s any controversial decisions or whatever. The winner of this should be in a strong position but a title shot is still probably a bit of a way off. Really looking forward to this fight.

Ā 

6118-F395-0-E11-40-EA-82-BC-A3-F9-BD85-C

Michal Oleksiejczuk vs Jim CruteĀ could be a good scrap. Neither guy is making serious waves any time soon but theyā€™re both young and aggressive and needing a win. Oleksiejczuk is Polish, 24 years old and 14-3-1 in MMA so far. Heā€™s had a bunch of first round finishes in his career. He lost to Ovince Saint Preux in his last fight but he was giving OSP a bit of a hiding early on before eventually succumbing to the dreaded Von Preux choke. Crute is Australian, 23 years old and 10-1. He suffered his first loss in September when Misha Cirkunov got him with a Peruvian necktie of all submissions. What a way to taste defeat for the first time. Heā€™d gone 10-0 with 7 finishes before that though and was looking like a good prospect for the Aussies. Quite like this matchup.

Ā 

B7374744-22-EB-4-C73-8951-D03-FB9-DDF7-C

Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs Yan XiaonanĀ might be alright. I donā€™t know with Kowalkiewicz anymore though. At one time she was a legit top contender, beat Rose Namajunas, went the distance with Joanna Jedrzejczyk and even hurt her. But sheā€™s fallen right off of late. Sheā€™s 12-5 now and has lost her last 3 on the bounce. Including being brutally knocked out by Jessica Andrade. She had a fun fight with Alexa Grasso last time out but, still, it was another loss. If she drops another L here, I donā€™t know, I could see her getting her walking papers. Yan is decent as well. 11-1-1 record, hasnā€™t lost since her third pro fight back in 2010. She hasnā€™t beat anyone that good yet though, or operated on as high a level as Kowalkiewicz. So itā€™s a necessary step back for KarolinaĀ in a way,Ā while also a step up for Yan.

Ā 

5074-C501-F333-4-FE0-8-EFC-7-EF98-EC5-A3

Ben Sosoli vs Marcos RogĆ©rio De Lima is the lone Heavyweight clash on this card. Sosoli, nicknamed ā€˜TheĀ Combat Wombatā€™ šŸ˜‚ is Aussie, a weathered 30 years old and has a record of 7-2-0-2. His last two fights ended in No Contests so hopefully heā€™s due a controversy-free fight here. We saw him against Greg Hardy in his UFC debut and it was awful. Hardy plodded to a points win but it was overturned to a NC because he used an inhaler between rounds. De Lima is nothing special. 16-6-1 and has lost pretty much every time heā€™s faced anyone good. Even a shot to bits Stefan Struve finished him last year. Hopefully the Wombat sleeps this fool and goes on a bit of a run.

Ā 

D3-ED6-CF8-7230-4-D80-8-D8-B-CD99-D7-ECF

Magomed Mustafaev vs Brad Riddell isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH*** and shouldĀ be well worth a look. Mustafaev is from Dagestan, 15-2 record and has won 14 of his last 15 fights with the only loss coming against Kevin Lee in 2016. I remember him doing pretty well early in that fight as well. He had a long layoff due to injuries after that loss but finally returned in 2019 and stopped Rafael Fiziev in about 90 seconds with a spinning back kick. Riddell is 28 years old, 7-1 record and is another hometown boy from Auckland. Iā€™d never heard of him before his UFC debut but I know who he is now. Seriously, if you missed his fight with Jamie Mullarkey at UFC 243 in October, get it watched. I had zero expectations going in, it was just another prelim with two guys Iā€™d never heard of. But they had a tremendous wild and bloody scrap. Riddell got the win by decision. Looking forward to seeing him fight again here. Heā€™s got his hands full with Mustafaev though.

Ā 

80-EB011-E-67-FF-4-CA3-969-A-3-FED7-E271

Zubaira Tukhugov vs Kevin Aguilar could be OK, not that fussed. Tukhugov is a guy I havenā€™t seen enough of. I remember thinking he looked good early in his UFC run but itā€™s been very stop-start since then. Heā€™s 18-4-1 now and coming off a draw. The thing heā€™s mostly known for is his part in the Khabib-McGregor post-fight brawl. Aguilar, again, is someone I havenā€™t seen a whole lot of. Heā€™s 17-2, coming off a loss to Dan Ige. But before that he was riding a 9 fight winning streak. I do remember seeing his fight against Rick Glenn at one of the TUF Finales and it was a hell of a fight. If youā€™re at a loose end and pissing about on Fight Pass, Aguilar vs Glenn is a good use of 15 minutes.

Ā 

54-B1-E52-B-CD63-419-C-9-A1-D-BDEAD968-B

Jalin Turner vs JoshuaĀ Culibao is a late switch up fight. Turner was slated to face Jamie Mullarkey originally. Not a lot to say about this. Turner came in with a bit of promise.Ā Bisping was talking him up as Turner was his sparring partner for the Anderson Silva fight a few years ago. It hasnā€™t really planned out though. Heā€™s 8-5 and lost to Matt Frevola last time out. Culibao is the newcomer. 25 years old from Sydney and heā€™s unbeaten at 8-0 with 5 knockouts. All soundsĀ good so far.Ā 

Ā 

D5261-E8-B-8-BB3-4-B0-E-9916-9-AA9-B1-C0

Jake Matthews vs Emil MeekĀ could be decent.Ā Matthews is Aussie, 25 years old, a BJJ black-belt and 15-4 in MMA. Heā€™s had his ups and downs in the UFC but heā€™s won 4 of his last 5 now and is coming off a win over Rostem Akman (that hairy bastard) in October. Meek is 31 years old from Norway. Wild looking fucker. I donā€™t recall him being particularly exciting to watch though. His early career is full of finishes but after a quick knockout win over Rousimar Palhares in 2016, his next few fights have been pretty dull if Iā€™m remembering right. In fairness though, one of them was just him getting dominated by Kamaru Usman. Meek hasnā€™t fought since 2018 for some reason. Hopefully he makes it to the cage this time. I actually like this matchup. I think Matthews might be able to bring more of the mad Viking style out of Meek.

Ā 

E70-E5-C09-B022-44-BC-8410-A755-D6-EACE4

Song Kenan vs Callan Potter isnā€™t doing anything for me. Song is Chinese, 15-5 and coming off a points win over Derrick Krantz. Potter is Australian, 18-8 and decisioned Maki Pitolo in his last fight. Potterā€™s nickname is ā€˜Rockstarā€™ for some reason. Could he look any less like a rockstar? Maybe he just loves the energy drinks or something.

Ā 

B0-F446-D9-4745-49-D0-8-BE9-647-BC1-A7-D

Kai Kara-France vs Tyson NamĀ will probably be decent enough. I havenā€™t found Kai Kara-France that exciting to watch so far but heā€™s a skilled fighter and another Kiwi so the crowd should be into it. Heā€™s 20-8-1 and coming off a loss to Brandon Moreno. Heā€™d won 8 in a row before that though. Nam is Hawaiian, 18-10-1. Lost to Sergio Pettis in September. I like Nam but I donā€™t see him having much for KKF here.Ā 

Ā 

5-DE1-E279-6327-4-E59-A300-CCD84-EE8237-

Angela Hill vsĀ Loma LookboonmeeĀ is a fight Iā€™m interested in. Loma was supposed to fight Hannah Goldy here but Goldy dropped out. Hill stepping in is an improvement for me. Lomaā€™s 23 years old from Thailand. Sure I read that sheā€™s the first actual Thai born fighter in the UFC. Sheā€™s only 4-1 in MMA. Fought in Pancrase and Invicta before she was signed by the UFC and beat Aleksandra Albu in her Octagon debut on the Maia vs Askren undercard in Singapore. Nothing earth shattering and MMA is still pretty new to her. Sheā€™s got a lot of experience as a striker though. Turned pro at just 8 years old! Sheā€™s a 9 time Muay Thai champion and has over 200 fights between Thai, Kickboxing and Boxing. Hill is 11-7, which isnā€™t the strongest of records, but sheā€™s looked good of late, winning her last couple of fights by TKO. Sheā€™s got solid striking herself as well. Obviously wonā€™t be on the level of Lookboonmeeā€™s but it should make for an entertaining standup fight.Ā 

Ā 

85052-DB6-F558-4-C6-D-A5-B0-9-D6-F321427

Maki Pitolo vs Takashi Sato then. Donā€™t know a ton about these two but it sounds like a fun little undercard fight on paper. Pitolo is Hawaiian, 12-5 with 9 finishes and his nickname is ā€˜Coconut Bombzā€™. Yeah, me neither. Seems itā€™s the card for wacky nicknames. Sato is Japanese, 15-3 with 12 finishes. Mostly remember him for absolutely waffling the shite out of Ben Saunders sometime last year. So yeah, not a fight of any significance but sounds like an explosive one.

Ā 

25457734-D1-DD-43-E9-B977-162051338-E06.

Priscila Cachoeira vs Shana Dobson is jerking the curtain. Nothing happening fight and possibly a ā€˜loser leaves townā€™ deal.Ā Cachoeira is 8-3, 0-3 in the UFC. I legitimately only remember her as the woman Valentina Shevchenko almost murdered in her Flyweight debut a while back. Dobson I recall even less of. Think she was on TUF at some point or other. Sheā€™s 3-3 and coming off 2 consecutive losses herself.Ā 

Couple of duds in there but I think thatā€™s a nice card on the whole.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Earlier start time for this next weekend. BT Sports coverage of the prelims starts from 10pm with the main card kicking off at midnight.

Really looking forward to Felder vs Hooker. Got to say though, watching the little preview video for it on the Rio Rancho show last night, theĀ trash talk was a bit painful. Not Tito bad or anything but it felt so forced. Neither guy is a shit talker usually and I think it just comes off as them trying to be something theyā€™re not. I get why theyā€™re doing it, of course, but it didnā€™t come off as authentic at all and it just makes this supposed ā€˜beefā€™ between them seemĀ fake. It doesnā€™t need it anyway. Itā€™s a great fight and Iā€™d have been well up for it regardless.Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, next Saturday night is absolutely loaded.Ā 

ā€¢ DeontayĀ Wilder vs Tyson Fury 2 on BT Box Office in the early hours of Sunday morning.Ā 

ā€¢ Brad Foster vs Lucien Reid rematch isĀ on BT Sport earlier in the evening.

ā€¢ This Felder vs Hooker card from New Zealand on BT Sport.

ā€¢ Bellator Dublin split across Channel 5 and Sky Sports.

And thereā€™s a RIZIN card going down in Japan if anyone gives a bollocks.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

Really looking forward to Felder vs. Hooker, but this card suffers from what the last few cards have suffered from from me personally... one main fight carrying the show, with not a whole lot else to excite me. From a PPV standpoint, everything's ridden on Conor and Jones, and the Fight Nights have been in a similar vein, good main events but not a ton else. Blaydes vs. JDS at least had Chiesa vs. RDA for a good 1-2 punch, but yeah. Here we've got an awesome lightweight contender's fight... then Jimmy Crute in the co-main. Crute seems like he might have a little promise, but I think it's too soon for a co-main slot, bit too much hype. He struggled a LOT more than I expected with Paul Craig given how he was being bigged up coming off the Contender Series, and he's coming off a first round loss himself here.

Actually, looking at the card trying to find something else to get keen about... a couple of the prelim fights actually look pretty compelling, to the point I'm surprised they're prelims. Jake Matthews vs. Emil Meek could be a good one, and Matthews has become a guy you can rely on for exciting fights, I'd have given that the co-main ahead of bloody Crute. Kai Kara-France- who trains with Israel Adesanya, has really impressed me too, he had a banger of a fight last time out with Brandon Moreno. I'd have main carded that too, he's a flyweight with good power in his strikes. Don't know much about Tyson Nam but he went to decision with Mini Pettis in his last fight.

March breaks the "light card" curse for me. UFC 248 is a PPV with real depth, and a week after that, there's a Brazil Fight Night which has a good 6 fights I'm hyped for- headlined by Kevin Lee and Charles Oliveira- who I've been a massive fan off since he subbed Darren Elkins in his UFC debut.

• Paid Members
On 2/16/2020 at 1:55 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, next Saturday night is absolutely loaded.Ā 

ā€¢ DeontayĀ Wilder vs Tyson Fury 2 on BT Box Office in the early hours of Sunday morning.Ā 

ā€¢ Brad Foster vs Lucien Reid rematch isĀ on BT Sport earlier in the evening.

ā€¢ This Felder vs Hooker card from New Zealand on BT Sport.

ā€¢ Bellator Dublin split across Channel 5 and Sky Sports.

And thereā€™s a RIZIN card going down in Japan if anyone gives a bollocks.Ā 

MTK's Golden Contract show is on Friday night on Sky too. Insane schedule.

• Paid Members
On 2/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, Kfogg1991 said:

What time does this start

Not sure about the Fight Pass prelims but...

On 2/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, wandshogun09 said:

BT Sports coverage of the prelims starts from 10pm with the main card kicking off at midnight.

Edit - itā€™s 9pm for Fight Pass.Ā 

5E4DBD7D-2A71-406C-87DC-5887AD055E15.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That was a fun card. Hooker and Felder had a really close, back and forth, exciting fight that went down to the wire. I felt Hooker had the 1st and 3rd, with the 2nd and 4th going to Felder.

The fifth round seemed like it was going to be the clincher, whomever you gave it to. I had Felder ahead in that round, but it was close. Hooker took him down and I think that sealed the fifth for him with the judges, but he did nothing with it, so I would favour the work done up to that point in the round, which I think Felder got the better of. It was an extremely close fight though so I really don't think anyone could complain about either man getting the nod here. Both will be sore men today after that one.

There were quite a few impressive performances throughout as well, notably Jake Matthews, Jimmy Crute, Jalin Turner, Song Kenan who scored a thunderous KO, and Kai Kara-France looked great in his win over Tyson Nam in another really good fight.Ā 

11 hours ago, WeeAl said:

There were quite a few impressive performances throughout as well, notably Jake Matthews, Jimmy Crute, Jalin Turner, Song Kenan who scored a thunderous KO, and Kai Kara-France looked great in his win over Tyson Nam in another really good fight.Ā 

What really impressed me about Kara-France is the fact that Nam appeared to be the stronger fighter, and had confidence in his power early. But Kara-France was just absolutely relentless in firing shots back, eventually chipping away at that confidence and taking control of the fight himself.

Really enjoyed that card top-to-bottom. One of those ones that looked average on paper, but really delivered in the cage. From the first prelim, where Priscila Cachoeira absolutely starched Shana Dobson with a first round uppercut KO, to the 5 round war in the main event, there was something for every MMA fan across the board. Thought both Felder and Hooker looked excellent, and I wonder how the fight would have played out if Felder's eye didn't swell up. He was still game, but it had to be a factor in landing strikes and seeing everything clearly.

Thought Felder's post-fight talk of retirement was very premature- I mean the guy came in ranked #6 in the world, and he looked good in the fight. What do UFC commentators make? Maybe being on the headset is such a cushy, well-paying job that he just doesn't fancy getting punched in the face for a living anymore.

• Paid Members

Got to this late but it was a good show all in all.Ā 

Hooker vs Felder was quality. Really fun back and forth 5 rounds. I had Felder edging itĀ myself but it was reallyĀ close. Wasnā€™t much in it at all. If that turns out to be it for Felder then it was a hell of a scrap to go out on.Ā 

55-B50-D07-74-F7-431-C-A4-F0-57-ECF113-B

Hooker wants to fight Gaethje or Poirier next. Either would be fantastic ifĀ they come off. Although, Gaethje is being linked to thatĀ McGregor fight so maybe heā€™s no longer an option.Ā 

Marcos Rogerio De Lima smashing up the Combat Wombat was just more evidence to me thatĀ Greg Hardy is wank and nowhere near the prospect that some make him out to be. De Lima is really nothing special. Iā€™ve never particularly rated him. He stillĀ wrecked Sosoli in 90 seconds. Yet Hardy went 3 plodding rounds with him, looked like shiteĀ and needed a fucking inhaler between rounds to get through it.Ā 

Xiaonan Yan vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz was a bit hard to watch. Kowalkiewicz got her eye fucked upĀ early in the fight and Yan dished out a drawn out beating to her. Good performance from Yan but itā€™s getting uncomfortable to watch Kowalkiewicz now. Itā€™s difficult to imagine this is the same fighter who beat Rose Namajunas and went the distance withĀ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, and even dropped her.Ā 

Brad Riddell getting the win over Mustafaev impressed me. Close one but I felt like Riddell did enough. And I thought Mustafaev would be too much for him going in.Ā Cracking fight as well.Ā 

Angela Hill coming in on short notice and beating Loma Lookboonmee was good stuff. I remember disliking Hill when she was on TUF years ago but sheā€™s really grown on me over the years since. Sheā€™s entertainingĀ to watch in the cage and sheā€™sĀ good fun on TwitterĀ as well. I like this thing sheā€™s got going where sheā€™s stepping in on short notice. Itā€™s not always a good idea but itā€™s worked for Gilbert Burns recently and Hill is doing OK at the moment herself.Ā 

Have to echo the other comments aboutĀ Kai Kara-France lookingĀ excellent. Probably his best fight and best individual performance yet in the UFC. Nam was game but Kai just outclassed him in the end.Ā 

RestĀ of the card was very enjoyable. As Al and Shane O said above, big finishes from Crute, Tukhugov,Ā Turner, Song,Ā Cachoeira etc.Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Xiaonan Yan vs Karolina Kowalkiewicz was a bit hard to watch. Kowalkiewicz got her eye fucked upĀ early in the fight and Yan dished out a drawn out beating to her. Good performance from Yan but itā€™s getting uncomfortable to watch Kowalkiewicz now. Itā€™s difficult to imagine this is the same fighter who beat Rose Namajunas and went the distance withĀ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, and even dropped her.Ā 

KK released this shortly after. I feel bad for her - sounds like she got absolutely wrecked both physically and emotionally. Might be time for her to call it a day.

https://www.instagram.com/karolinakowalkiewicz/?utm_source=ig_embed

ā€œHi guys. Thank you for your support. First time in my life after fight I cannot say that Iā€™m okay. In the beginning of first-round I have broken small bone here [below right eye]. I couldnā€™t see nothing. My vision was double.

ā€œAfter fight I spent all day in hospital. Today I am going to specialist and they will make decision. Because I need operation, I am waiting for decision here. I [want to] come back to Poland and make operation in Poland, but doctors said I have to stay here because flying with this eye is very dangerous.ā€

Ā 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I saw the little video of her talking about it and her eye lookedĀ bad. This is 4 losses on the trot now as well. With one beingĀ that bad knockout to JessicaĀ Andrade, now this Yan fight with her eye. Itā€™s not looking good. Itā€™s sad to seeĀ because she seems really nice in interviews and stuff that Iā€™ve seen, and that always makes it a bit shitter when a fighter goes on a decline and starts reallyĀ accruing the damage. Sheā€™s only 34 but I think sheā€™s about done.Ā 

A245B845-531E-45FC-8365-3059E29AFCF9.gif