Sign in to follow this  
Legace

Which Countries Have Known Pre-1970 Pro-Wrestling Footage?

Thanks so much for all your input on this subject guys, all very interesting stuff! Okay, if we were to put together a list of countries that have PROPER pre-1970 footage out there, as in not just newsreels or film clips, what countries would make the list? Here's what I've come up with so far:

- Australia.
- Canada.
- France.
- Iraq.
- Japan.
- United Kingdom.
- United States.

Are there any others?

Don't know about footage, but in terms of countries, Belgium & Italy could also potentially be added to the list. WoS had a celebratory event, on joining the EU in '73. Tino Salvadore (Italy) and Frank Dhondt (Belgium) performed as part of it. That's not to say, pro-wrestling was a thing in those countries, but it at least suggests the possibility.

21 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Don't know about footage, but in terms of countries, Belgium & Italy could also potentially be added to the list. WoS had a celebratory event, on joining the EU in '73. Tino Salvadore (Italy) and Frank Dhondt (Belgium) performed as part of it. That's not to say, pro-wrestling was a thing in those countries, but it at least suggests the possibility.

Would that have been the "Fanfare For Europe" special?

UPDATE: I've decided to change the title of this topic from "Which Countries Had Wrestling Before 1970?" to "Which Countries Have Known Pre-1970 Pro-Wrestling Footage?", I'll be using the first post of it to list every country I come across where footage is known to exist, anytime anything new is added, I'll leave a reply here also.

Africa (Rhodesia) is the latest addition to the list in the first post. I'm aware Africa is a continent but it still counts.

Edited by Legace

UK pre-70s is limited in terms of public availability. There's an unknown number of film reels in ITV's archive but they aren't properly catalogued. At least one has been converted which was done for the Northern Reunion and included Pallo-McManus Cup Final Day 1962. Clips of that reel (including other bouts) were then licensed for the BBC 4 Timeshift documentary.

There's also some stuff which was kept by the relevant ITV regions when it was filmed for the TV show, which ITV is trying to collate.

There must be some Titanes en el ring footage around from South America. That was running from the early 60's i think. 

3 hours ago, Sheffbag said:

There must be some Titanes en el ring footage around from South America. That was running from the early 60's i think. 

Most of their stuff on YouTube is '70s to '90s, later comeback shows, or undated. 

On 1/15/2020 at 7:03 PM, JNLister said:

UK pre-70s is limited in terms of public availability. There's an unknown number of film reels in ITV's archive but they aren't properly catalogued. At least one has been converted which was done for the Northern Reunion and included Pallo-McManus Cup Final Day 1962. Clips of that reel (including other bouts) were then licensed for the BBC 4 Timeshift documentary.

There's also some stuff which was kept by the relevant ITV regions when it was filmed for the TV show, which ITV is trying to collate.

Here is a list of the pre-1970 ITV footage that I know for sure exists and has been traded, I'm told there's more too:

1) Len Wilding -vs- Jack Cunningham (ITV Wrestling - October 28th, 1961).
2) Ernie Riley -vs- Albert Wall (ITV Wrestling - November 25th, 1961).

The All Star Afternoon (May 5th, 1962).

1) Billy Howes -vs- Jacques Lageott.
2) Jackie Pallo -vs- Mick McManus.

1) Ricky Star -vs- Pedro LaChapelli (ITV Wrestling - February 5th, 1964 - The Final Bell).

1) Alan Miquet -vs- Tony Borg (ITV Wrestling - October 18th, 1967).
2) Honey Boy Zimba -vs- Don Steadman (ITV Wrestling - October 18th, 1967).

1) Pancho Zapatta -vs- Jeff Kaye (ITV Wrestling - May 7th, 1969 - The Final Bell).
2) Julien Morice -vs- Johnny Williams (ITV Wrestling - September 24th, 1969).

MISC

4) Peter Szakacs -vs- Len Hurst (Late 1960s).
5) Tibor Szakacs -vs- Ivor Barratt (Late 1960s).

On 1/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Sheffbag said:

On 1/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, BomberPat said:

Most of their stuff on YouTube is '70s to '90s, later comeback shows, or undated. 

Yeah I've been wondering about that myself, I know there are definitely some clips from the 1960s on YouTube but not sure if there is anything complete as yet.

UPDATE: The Czech Republic, Italy, New Zealand and Russia are the latest additions to the list in post #1.

Also, other than Telecatch clips, does anyone know if there is any known pre-1970 Brazilian footage out there´╗┐? ´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐´╗┐

Edited by Legace

A lot of the tours of Africa back in the day were run off the back of old American tapes that ended up being shown on TV over there, a promoter would try to gather some of the name wrestlers from that territory and run a tour based on wrestlers the people knew from TV, despite that TV being close to a decade old. I remember reading an interview with Bill Eadie where he talked about doing one in the early 80s that was based off IWA TV (The Eddie Einhorn group) tapes from the mid 70s.

There's probably many other similar examples, such as the Israel tour in the early 90s that Lance Storm went on which had Chris Adams as the star name (based on WCCW being big there a few years prior). I doubt any of this type of tour did TV but they might have gotten spots on local news to promote the shows.

15 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

There's probably many other similar examples, such as the Israel tour in the early 90s that Lance Storm went on which had Chris Adams as the star name (based on WCCW being big there a few years prior). I doubt any of this type of tour did TV but they might have gotten spots on local news to promote the shows.

WCCW is STILL the biggest wrestling product in Israel, I think. A tour a year or two ago was headlined by Kevin Von Erich and his kids.

17 hours ago, Pier Six Brawler said:

A lot of the tours of Africa back in the day were run off the back of old American tapes that ended up being shown on TV over there, a promoter would try to gather some of the name wrestlers from that territory and run a tour based on wrestlers the people knew from TV, despite that TV being close to a decade old. I remember reading an interview with Bill Eadie where he talked about doing one in the early 80s that was based off IWA TV (The Eddie Einhorn group) tapes from the mid 70s.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

WCCW is STILL the biggest wrestling product in Israel, I think. A tour a year or two ago was headlined by Kevin Von Erich and his kids.

Seriously? I don't think I've ever heard of wrestling promoted that way, very interesting though. Shame there isn't more pre-1970 African footage.

UPDATE: The latest country that has known pre-1970 footage is.....Mexico! I've added it to the list in the first post. I've also removed the small list of countries that might have survivng footage from before the year 1970 that was towards the bottom of the first post apart from Brazil which I'm still not sure about.

Obviously I'd known for a while that lucha footage from before the year 1970 existed, but I wasn't 100% sure or not if there are only clips floating around or actual TV footage, however, last night whilst browsing youtube I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMGlyMgSyQ&fbclid=IwAR3K3vjljnhI4f8QMhxoImZGQJVqqjTgEf99oqtA8aajpxu_yKpRP7vVdMQ

It's Rene Guajardo & Espanto Segundo -vs- Black Shadow & Rolando Vera from 1966, it's joined in progress but has the last 7 minutes of the match without interuption and appears to have been taken from a TV show. This is the most complete pre-1970 lucha footage I've ever seen.

Edited by Legace

UPDATE:

Several updates actually.

I've decided to remove Iraq from the list of countries in the first post, I believe the 3 matches that are known to exist, that I originally thought were from the late 1960s, are more likely from the very early 1970s, therefore they don't actually fit the criteria of this topic.

Secondly, I've removed the word "Africa" from next to "Rhodesia" and placed the latter in the "R" section.

Lastly, the latest country added to the list in the first post is South Africa. ´╗┐