4-Day Work Week & 6-Hour Work Day - Thoughts?

David

On 1/9/2020 at 9:25 PM, David said:

Sleep? That's for the lazy types who always cry about being overworked. If you feel you're entitled to benefits such as sleep, move to Finland.

"Ooh look at me I don't have a constructive argument against someone else's opinion so i'll make childish petty comments".

Apart from CavemanLynn I'm yet to see anyone offer up any sort of reasonable alternative fact or mathematically based opinion as to why they believe working 13% of their entire life is so unreasonable.

CL just a couple of things regarding your post. Firstly I'm not saying we should "be greatful for employment". I'm saying that I believe (not that it is without doubt fact) that largely people in the UK have choices and control over who they work for and whether the conditions and payment that job offers is agreeable to them.

With regards to chances of further education etc. I work in a job where 50-60% of the staff I know of have degrees and none of them are required for the job role, relevant to it, or provide any financial advantage or otherwise ahead of those who don't have one. 

In my own personal circle of friends those with degrees all went on to work menial jobs non specific to their further education. One with a degree then chose to travel the world for the next decade working in bars and earning enough just to have a good time and get by which takes me back to my belief that we all largely have a choice. The three highest earners all don't have a degree. 

My own brother has a degree which he himself openly calls meaningless and again he works in a job where its non specific to his role and provides him no financial advantage or otherwise to those who don't have one.

I'm not denying anyone's right to seek further education but I have always been baffled by the idea in the UK that having a piece of paper saying you have a degree somehow made you more intelligent , "educated" or better than someone who didn't.

I want to know where the poster lived where no shops were open and everyone worked Monday-Friday in 1994-95.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

8 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

I'm not denying anyone's right to seek further education but I have always been baffled by the idea in the UK that having a piece of paper saying you have a degree somehow made you more intelligent , "educated" or better than someone who didn't.

Well according to your own anecdotal evidence that's clearly not the case.

With regards to your quick maths, we're living in a country that is increasingly becoming somewhere that you will probably have to work until you drop and with the have nots being discouraged from further education more and more the likelihood is people could spend their entire adult life working full time. So that'd be a third of their adult life. Surely you can see the benefit in trying to reverse that trend.

I don't think education for education's sake should be viewed as a bad thing. If you want to play the anecdotal evidence card, most of my friends with degrees all went to on good careers in their chosen fields. Of course there's always exceptions to every rule, but generally, graduates are more likely to do better financially. Studies have repeatedly shown this. Health outcomes are generally better. People with degrees keep Alzheimers at bay for longer. 

As for everything being closed on a Sunday in the 90's. This is exactly what I remember and I lived in 3 different towns in the early 90s. Where were you that everything was open? 

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

"Ooh look at me I don't have a constructive argument against someone else's opinion so i'll make childish petty comments".

Apart from CavemanLynn I'm yet to see anyone offer up any sort of reasonable alternative fact or mathematically based opinion as to why they believe working 13% of their entire life is so unreasonable.

CL just a couple of things regarding your post. Firstly I'm not saying we should "be greatful for employment". I'm saying that I believe (not that it is without doubt fact) that largely people in the UK have choices and control over who they work for and whether the conditions and payment that job offers is agreeable to them.

With regards to chances of further education etc. I work in a job where 50-60% of the staff I know of have degrees and none of them are required for the job role, relevant to it, or provide any financial advantage or otherwise ahead of those who don't have one. 

In my own personal circle of friends those with degrees all went on to work menial jobs non specific to their further education. One with a degree then chose to travel the world for the next decade working in bars and earning enough just to have a good time and get by which takes me back to my belief that we all largely have a choice. The three highest earners all don't have a degree. 

My own brother has a degree which he himself openly calls meaningless and again he works in a job where its non specific to his role and provides him no financial advantage or otherwise to those who don't have one.

I want to know where the poster lived where no shops were open and everyone worked Monday-Friday in 1994-95.

Barnsley. The Shops(Supermarkets included) opened Monday to Saturday normal opening hours. The Outdoor markets would open Tuesday(second hand market) Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and would open for a car boot style one on sunday morning untill 11am. Resteraunts and Take-aways would open on Sundays thougg. I'd forgotten about them.

Obviously there were exceptions, but even when the supermarkets started opening Sundays and 24 hours it was always the individuals choice to decide if they wanted to work it(and get the double and sometimes treble time that came with it). Even when they started to build the big call centres on the old, reclaimed pit land they originally recruited for Monday - Friday staff with weekends being overtime. As we all know though, the businesses got wise to it and started to stipulate that a weekend day was part of their contract and they got a day off in the week.