2010-19 in MMA: Top 25 Fights Of The Decade

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Got a feeling we won't see Aldo vs. Hominick in this list though :(

It was one I strongly considered Carbomb but it didn’t quite make it. When the Countdown is over I might do a bit of a ‘Honourable Mentions’ post with mini reviews of those fights. There were a few that barely missed it. I could’ve quite easily done a Top 50, to be honest, but I’m already spending too much time watching old fights as it is.

And with that...

03-EAC769-B786-4-D5-B-8-A2-B-388-BD5-DED

#6 - Wanderlei Silva vs Brian Stann - UFC Fight Night - Mar 3rd 2013

Oh yes. You knew I couldn’t leave this bastard out. Wandy back in his old stomping grounds in Saitama. Literally “stomping grounds” if you’re familiar at all with his Pride fights.

9-AB21800-4-F11-452-D-BDDC-ABA37095-E4-E

Of course, Wanderlei will always be mostly associated with that legendary Pride run. For about a 5 year span from 2000 to 2005, Wanderlei was one of the most terrifying fighters in the game. He went on a 4 year unbeaten spree of pure violence, won the Pride belt, won the 2003 Grand Prix Tournament and had wins over the likes of Kazushi Sakuraba x3, Guy Mezger, Dan Henderson, Rampage Jackson twice and Yuki Kondo among others. Went to war with the much bigger Mark Hunt, went 1-1 with Ricardo Arona etc. It was a crazy run. But by 2005 the prime was over. He got badly knocked out by Cro Cop and Hendo at the tail end of his time in Japan. And when Pride folded, he came to the UFC in 2007 and had a really up and down stint there. One thing that stayed consistent though, was he was never dull. His fights with Chuck Liddell, Rich Franklin, Michael Bisping and Cung Le were all great fun. As were his quick shootouts with Keith Jardine and Chris Leben. Win or lose, never a dull moment as a Wand fan.

1-AE9-E4-FE-9740-434-B-9-EB6-168-B299-BE

Brian Stann had traveled a different path. A former US Marine who’d got into MMA in 2006 and did pretty well for himself in WEC, briefly holding their Light Heavyweight belt. He signed with the UFC in 2009 and had fairly mixed results. But he was always a big hitter and it served him well in racking up wins over Chris Leben, Jorge Santiago and Alessio Sakara. He’d come up short against the big names like Sonnen and Bisping though so this was his chance to get that signature win over a true legend in the game.

“Tonight in Tokyo, fighting Wanderlei Silva in the main event is the highest point of my career thus far. I have a tough fight on my hands. I see this fight being very violent. Wanderlei doesn’t know any other way to fight, it’s why he’s one of the most beloved fighters in the history of this sport.” - Brian Stann 

— — —

“He’s a really good opponent. His style, he fights like me with his standup. I know it’s gonna be a great show.” - Wanderlei Silva

685-A2-EF7-E8-A0-464-A-B755-682-CA7-CDEC

Wanderlei Silva vs Brian Stann

UFC Fight Night: Silva vs Stann

March 3rd 2013

Saitama, Japan

Marc Goddard is reffing this one. Commentating are Jon Anik and...ah, fuck, it’s Kenny Florian. Never was a fan of his commentary.

Round 1: They’re both circling at first but that shit doesn’t last long. On the very first exchange Wandy clips him and Stann briefly drops to a knee. Both windmilling a ton of punches right off the bat. Wand with the Thai clinch, he’s kneeing and then Stann just starts going mad with uppercuts. Both punching and now Stann drops Wanderlei to his knees! This is all within the first minute. Stann’s nose is popped already. They both swing and Wand just smiles and waves him on...

C676B4E6-C827-4612-8A9F-3766D4F39439.gif

Love that. But as you can see there, he gets buzzed again for his troubles. Two minutes in and I’m already losing track of how many times these nutters have been wobbled. Wand’s just got whacked in the bollocks.

8C40049C-B6ED-4970-BE8A-CE49236C134F.gif

A visual treat for you there.

Stann finding some success with leg kicks and Wandy’s trying to counter with punches. Then Stann suddenly bullrushes and chaos ensues...

29A01328-F693-407C-8716-69598BDCAD40.gif

Jesus! They both hurt each other and Stann ends up getting a takedown. He ends the round on top but his nose is pissing blood now. They’re both covered in it.

8-BB71-D87-E789-402-C-AF68-31-DBEAE23-C9

Honestly don’t know how the hell you score that round. Who cares? Like the judges were ever necessary for this one.

Round 2: Right where they left off. Every time they collide you can just hear the force of the punches. They’re putting 100% into every strike. 

“We’re seeing these exchanges because both men do not wanna back down. They can’t help themselves, they’re so aggressive. They’re both trying to establish control here. And both believe they have more knockout power.” - Kenny Florian

Stann seems to have had enough of the brawling and he’s getting his kicking game going. It’s working pretty well. Wand keeps tagging him though and it’s forcing a fire fight. Big right from Action Man Stann. Headkick from Wandy. Stann lands a couple more right hands and he’s just starting to seal the round when Wanderlei fucking clobbers him...

8B6F7F35-D985-4894-BD0A-95FA493C7C68.gif

Wand follows up with absolute bombs on the ground and puts Stann completely out. That’s all she wrote.

Winner - Wanderlei Silva by knockout. Round 2 - 4:08.

936-E3635-113-D-4144-A0-A9-FCCADA221-B2-

Batshit from pretty much start to finish. Not the most technical but who gives a flying fuck? If you go into a Wanderlei Silva fight expecting anything other than just raw savagery you’re doing MMA watching wrong. I have such fond memories of this. I went in fully expecting Wand to get ironed out. I’m always a pessimist when it comes to my favourites. So Wandy getting the KO in a mad fight like this was really something special. 

56-EA9520-17-A9-4-A1-B-AAF2-3-B801060921

Class.

This turned out to be the last hurrah for both really. Stann retired after this one. And this was Wand’s last great fight. The good times were over for him in MMA. He had that whole USADA saga after this then resurfaced in Bellator only to drop losses to Chael and Rampage. In hindsight, if he’d retired after this Stann fight and left his gloves on the canvas in Saitama, it would’ve been one of the best MMA send-offs ever.

No way. I remember this Silva vs Stann highlight from years ago. Just watched it again and got goosebumps. 

Watch it! 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

incredible fight. In an ideal world that would have been the end to Wanderlei's career, can we pretend the Bellator fights never happened?

Looking back at it Wanderlei's UFC run was pretty awesome wasnt it. He took some heavy loses but fuck me, so much fun to watch. 9 UFC fights and 5 fight of the night bonuses says it all.

Wanderlei's game didn't work as well in the cage. The cage made it harder for him to back the opponent up against the ropes, where he could clinch, takedown or trip his opponent. To make things worse for him, he became a wild brawler later in his career, abandoning many of the weapons he had used in Pride. He also couldn't take a shot like he used to. 

Of course, none of this made Wanderlei's bouts any less exciting. He could still crack, meaning that most of his UFC fights involved him either getting knocked out, or knocking out his opponent. At the least, you would see a crazy brawl and a few knockdowns.

Pleasantly surprised to see Silva vs. Stann make the cut here. I love the fight but I don't often see it talked about. It's a go-to fight for me if I want to convert someone into watching MMA- but then it sets the bar too high for batshit crazy violence. Like my mum wanted to take a bit of interest in UFC, because she hates wrestling because "it's fake shit" and this is the real stuff. So I showed her this and I think she expects every fight to be in that vein. I showed her Gastelum vs. Adesanya a few months back and she said it was "a bit boring", making her probably the only person on the planet to view that fight that way. 🙄

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yep. The Liddell, Stann and Cung Le fights alone made it all worth it. I think the two Franklin fights are fairly underrated as well. It takes a particularly dedicated shithead to have a bad fight with Wandy.

7899848B-7877-451B-9E90-77F594A1A171.gif

That gif highlights 2 things

1) What an unbelievably large hard Tito has.

2) That he has the most slapable face on the planet.

• Paid Members

4-A1-EB9-AB-17-EC-4952-8407-3-A87-FD546-

#5 - Michael Chandler vs Eddie Alvarez 2 - Bellator 106 - Nov 2nd 2013

The rematch. After such an awesome first fight in 2011, it was inevitable that they’d meet again somewhere down the line.

Chandler had gone from strength to strength after beating Alvarez. Continuing his winning ways by stopping Akihiro Gono, Rick Hawn and David Rickels. Taking his overall MMA record to a perfect 12-0.

Alvarez had bounced back from the loss in the first fight with two mega impressive first round knockouts of Shinya Aoki and Patricky Pitbull. But things got messy. The Pitbull fight was the last on Eddie’s Bellator contract and he’d received a substantial offer from the UFC. Bellator boss Bjorn Rebney was having none of it though. Bellator had a clause in the contract that they could match any offer from a rival promoter and they claimed they’d matched the UFC’s. The thing was, the UFC had offered Alvarez a cut of any PPV he fought on, and the rumour at the time was that he was being lined up for a spot on the Georges St Pierre vs Nick Diaz PPV. A show that ultimately did somewhere in the region of a million buys. But Bellator tied Eddie up in contractual red tape, he missed the chance to appear on that show and Alvarez sued them. The details of Eddie’s proposed UFC offer came out because of the lawsuit and, basically, Eddie would’ve cleaned up financially on that GSP vs Diaz card. His PPV points were reportedly;

•$1 per buy if a PPV did between 200-400,000 buys.

•$2 per buy if a PPV did between 400-600,000 buys. 

•$2.50 per buy for anything over 600,000 buys.

So do the maths. GSP vs Diaz did around a million buys. Eddie stood to make well over $2 million just on the PPV cut alone. And on top of that he’d be getting his fight purse ($70K/$70K show/win money) and he was reportedly getting a $250K signing bonus. Plus any fight night bonuses.

Bellator claimed they’d matched that offer, which sounded ludicrous, but it stalled everything and Eddie was forced to stay put in Bellator. The rematch between Chandler and Alvarez was announced. And as part of fulfilling the ‘matching clause’, Bellator decided to stick it on PPV. With fucking Rampage Jackson vs Tito Ortiz set to headline. Christ. I forgot all about that. Thankfully, Rampage-Tito fell apart when Tito pulled out injured. So Chandler vs Alvarez 2 became the main event and the show got moved off PPV and onto Spike TV.

8-CF5-CA4-C-42-EF-48-BD-A2-BF-658-CFB1-A

Michael Chandler (c) vs Eddie Alvarez - Lightweight Title 

Bellator 106

November 2nd 2013

Long Beach, California

OK then. Eddie’s coming out to ‘The Champ Is Here’ by Jadakiss. Always liked that walkout from his DREAM days in Japan. Big John McCarthy is on reffing duties. Buckle up for this bastard.

Round 1: They mostly box to kick things off. Chandler stuffs a takedown attempt but Eddie starts to get his jab going pretty good. Chandler starts throwing with bad intentions while Eddie tries to counter him. Chandler pushing the pace and gets a takedown and takes the back.

28F673A7-BD1C-464D-B89C-CC2D55424D95.gif

He briefly gets the choke on but Alvarez manages to escape. Thought Alvarez was edging it until the last minute but Chandler ended strong with that takedown and choke. Chandler 10-9.

Round 2: Both seem to have ramped up the aggression slightly now. Eddie keeps landing that lead right hand he likes to leap in with. Eddie’s getting the better of the exchanges slightly but then, once again, Chandler puts a stop to that with a couple of takedowns.

67AC2E76-1E24-4FB8-9B84-898FF4824ED6.gif

Eddie’s back up. Chandler’s eye is swollen and bleeding. Eddie connects with some punches and hurts Chandler.

7E627DDF-3B73-4E7A-9DD4-3BB762636AF5.gif

But Chandler with another takedown as the round comes to a close. Tough one to score. Chandler had those takedowns and they have to count. But for Eddie’s work early in the round, the damage, plus that sort of half knockdown, I had this Alvarez 10-9. The commentators had it for Chandler. Can’t argue. It was razor close.

Round 3: Eddie landing a lot again and now he’s also managing to stop the takedowns. Not good for Chandler. And like in the third round of the first fight, Chandler is looking a bit winded. He does manage to score another takedown and ends the round on top but doesn’t really get anything done from there. Alvarez 10-9.

2776-C05-B-21-D1-415-C-9-D5-E-ED427-A744

Chandler’s face is a state. Onto the championship rounds.

Round 4: Looks like Eddie is sensing the finish, he’s going for the kill now. But Chandler fires back with a fast as fuck jumping knee to the chin that backs Eddie right up. Fuck me. That came out of nowhere. Eddie shoots and winds up on his back with Chandler in his guard. This is a proper gruelling battle.

F2-BEFBCB-9-BAE-4927-B5-D6-CB7716-E00835

Now Eddie is bleeding from the eye. Chandler is smashing him from the guard. Eddie can’t get up and Chandler beats him up for the rest of the round. Chandler 10-8 for me. That was a bad one for Alvarez.

Round 5: Chandler isn’t fucking about. He’s throwing those jumping knees again. He wants this over with. Chandler landing now and he gets the takedown and takes the back. He’s working the choke!

C652-A2-DB-D5-DA-483-F-A5-E6-B010534728-

He can’t get it under the chin though so it’s more of a neck crank. Eddie somehow gets out of it and they’re back on the feet having a slugfest. Both look spent but they’re giving every last drop of energy trying to put each other away. Eddie’s got him against the fence and teeing off. Now Eddie takes Chandler’s back. He’s going for the choke!

9-B544-E26-4-CA5-4764-BF0-B-8496-C4-F5-B

Fuck off! Imagine if Alvarez beat Chandler with the same move he lost the first fight to? It wasn’t to be though as Chandler escapes and now he’s on top. This is insane. Eddie up and Chandler takes him back down as the round ends. Alvarez 10-9 for me.

Winner - Eddie Alvarez by split decision.

Eddie’s mate Bjorn looks well happy in the background here...

296627CE-143C-4E47-B040-5576A6AB25A4.gif

Ha!

I had it scored a draw but whatever. It was so close I wouldn’t disagree with anyone having it to either man by a point either way. Unbelievable fight. As much as I loved the first one, this was even better for me. It’s not balls out from the opening bell like their first fight but there’s something about this one that takes it up a level for me. It builds and builds and that final round is really something else.

They were supposed to do the rubber match in May 2014.

51767278-39-B0-4-E0-E-9109-CA41031-E168-

It was announced and made official. They promoted it pretty heavily and put out some nice buildup shows for it. Then a week out from the fight, Eddie was pulled after suffering a concussion. In June that year, Scott Coker took over from Dodgy Bjorn. And one of the first things he did was let Eddie Alvarez out of his seemingly never ending Bellator contract. As much as Coker would’ve probably loved to have had Eddie on board, he recognised Eddie didn’t want to be there anymore and rather than drag it out, he set Eddie free and wiped the slate clean. And look at Bellator now. Never been healthier than they are under Coker. I honestly think Rebney might’ve killed Bellator by now if he’d been left in charge. He was toxic and his whole vision seemed to just be ‘let’s do a tournament’ and forcing the PPV issue before they’d even developed a strong and steady TV audience. Coker knows what’s up.

Anyway. I’m still holding out hope that we see Alvarez vs Chandler 3 some day. Now Alvarez isn’t in the UFC anymore it might be possible. Don’t know how long Eddie’s deal with ONE is for but I’d like to see him back in Bellator at some point. He was the man who put Bellator on the map in the early days and no doubt he’d have a much smoother relationship with Coker than he did with Rebney. This trilogy needs settling.

CCBEC933-268-E-4-AFA-9794-2-FE337-F8-C0-

And if they have a third fight anywhere near as good as the first two then it’ll be the best trilogy in MMA history for me. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Wow, looking at Chandler's record, there are some interesting things.

1. Aside from his first three fights, he's spent his entire career in Bellator. He's basically Mr. Bellator. 

2. Aside from Brooks and the younger Pitbull, he's avenged a loss and he's 1-1 with Alvarez. He's still one of their top competitors.

It would appear Chandler has potential for a trilogy match with Primus, potentially a revenge match with Brooks (who seems to have declined a bit since his UFC run) if he leaves the PFL, and the rubber match with Alvarez is obviously the most appealing. He's also got something of a rivalry with the Pitbull brothers.

Very pro-wrestling.

• Paid Members

F7-ECE706-6-BFF-4885-B322-E1-A6-DECD733-

#4 - Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson 1 - UFC 165 - Sep 21st 2013

This was never not making the list. I think this would be Top 5 of the decade by pretty much anyone’s standards. It’s mad though, going into the fight it was the last thing anyone was expecting. At the time the fight was made Jones was 18-1, with the one blemish being that DQ ‘loss’ to Matt Hamill back in 2009. Not only had he never actually been beaten, nobody had even come close. He’d taken the belt from Shogun and then gone on a killing spree through the 205 division. He’d taken out Rampage Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans, Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen. In a row. And finished all of them but Rashad. The closest we’d seen to him looking even a tiny bit vulnerable was the first round of the Machida fight when Machida had some success landing punches. That was kind of clutching at straws though if you were looking for weaknesses as he choked Machida unconscious and left him in a heap the following round.

Gustafsson had been looking good himself but he’d had nothing close to the run Jones was on. He was 15-1 coming into this fight. His biggest wins were decisions over Shogun and Thiago Silva. But he hadn’t really blown anyone away. He’d also been submitted by Phil Davis in 2010 so that didn’t bode well on paper.

I remember the buildup to this all being centred around the size of Gus. The promos the UFC put out were all talking about how they measured up in height and reach and all that.

At the time I didn’t think it’d matter much. I’d been dazzled by Jones blitzing through all the big names at 205. Gustafsson was just some lanky new kid to me. He’d been impressive but I still saw him as the guy Phil Davis strangled. I fully expected Jones to take him down and either submit him or just elbow him into dust. Just a run of the mill defence.

B77-F4-B09-9-E8-A-4-BDA-A81-B-6-A7-A5-B5

Jon Jones (c) vs Alexander Gustafsson - Light Heavyweight Title

UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

September 21st 2013

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Round 1: Both kicking a lot early on. Especially Jones, throwing those nasty push kicks to the knee. Makes me wince every time. Gus is countering nicely with kicks of his own he’s already starting to get the jab working. He’s landing more as the round goes on and doing a grand job of answering Jones’ kicks with punches. And already, Jones is cut above the eye. Then with about a minute left of the round, it happens...

483494D6-3322-4F28-AF13-4ED470AD3745.gif

Gustafsson gets a takedown. This was big at the time as Jones had never been taken down before. Crazy that it was Gus, who wasn’t known for his grappling prowess, who did it first. I think that was probably a big factor, to be honest. The old element of surprise. The last thing Jones would’ve been expecting out of Gustafsson would be wrestling. Jones gets up pretty much right away but Gus has given him one more thing to think about now. He’s not just striking. Jones tries to even things up and score a takedown back and Gus stuffs it. Huge for him. And that’s a Gustafsson round, 10-9.

Round 2: Gus catches a kick and briefly gets the champ down again. He’s getting the better of the boxing exchanges but Jones is still landing a lot of kicks. Jones still having no luck at all with his takedown attempts though. You can tell the big Swede had really put the graft in on his wrestling in camp for this, both offensively and defensively. You can clearly see the vast improvements in his wrestling compared to his earlier fights.

“Jones has had five takedown attempts stuffed by Alexander Gustafsson.” - Mike Goldberg

Jones lands a hard elbow. Gus fires back with more punches. Jones is throwing loads of kicks now though. And mixing up the targets. To the legs, the body, then going up high.

39-D78781-FC31-452-A-9-B35-57-BA04341746

Gus eats another headkick and catches the leg but Jones rolls out of it. Only for Gus to stop another takedown attempt. Jones with another headkick. Gusty lands an uppercut. Jones started to have more success that round but it’s another Gus 10-9 in the books for me.

Round 3: Same story. Gustafsson still working his boxing and Jones still throwing a variety of kicks. Jones throws yet another headkick but Gus doesn’t flinch and answers with an uppercut immediately. Christ.

A2-B7383-C-2-AFC-4-A2-E-A1-D5-07416-FE12

“This has been the most Jon’s ever been hit in the Octagon by strikes. And the most he’s ever been hit clean.” - Joe Rogan

Gustafsson’s boxing is on point here but Jones is really going to town kicking the legs. Just a constant assault with the kicks. Hard body kick and a left hand for Jonny Bones. Gus is moving backwards a lot now. Jones lands a spinning elbow to the head. Jones jabbing as the round ends. Close but I had Jones winning that one, 10-9.

Round 4: Jones starts off pretty strong this round but then Gusty starts tagging him at will. Jabs, body shots, head shots, the lot. And Jones still can’t take him down! Fuck me. Gus is boxing the head off him now. Jones lands another fucking headkick but Gus somehow just absorbs it and keeps throwing. This might be Gustafsson’s best round of the fight yet. But right when I say that...

65BC7A93-848C-41FA-BE7D-BE66FA7A42E2.gif

Jones absolutely drills him with another spinning elbow. And this one lands hard. Gus is badly hurt and on rubbery legs and Jones is all the fuck over him. Jones with a barrage of knees and elbows and Gus is bleeding from the head. He somehow still manages to stuff a takedown, while rocked, which must’ve been seriously demoralising for Jones. But Jones just keeps bringing the pain with non-stop elbows, knees and punches. Gus is fucked. Fucked. Jones with a flying knee! Gus survives the round, fucking barely, and staggers back to the corner. Jones 10-9.

Of course, now it would be a 10-8 no question. But under the old scoring criteria 10-8s were only really given for rounds that were overwhelmingly one-sided and dominant. This wasn’t that and Gus was winning the round handily before that elbow.

So by my scoring, they’re even going into the last round.

Round 5: Gustafsson miraculously seems to have recovered pretty well and is back on his volume striking. Hard elbow by Jones and Gus comes back with punches. Jones FINALLY gets that takedown!

“Finally! On the tenth attempt, Jones gets the takedown!” - Mike Goldberg

Gus manages to get back up but Jones bloody clobbers him with another hard headkick.

9-B4-C60-F3-8-D5-E-4009-936-B-FF5-EFBC75

Gus got his arm up but it still waffled him good. Gus just took it though. This is even more brutal than I remembered. He keeps throwing them but Gus manages to block them. A minute to go. More headkicks and an elbow by Jones. How Gustafsson is still upright, I don’t know. A Jones flying knee lands and the buzzer goes. It’s over.

“Unbelievable! What a fight. That might be the greatest title fight in the history of the Light Heavyweight division.” - Joe Rogan

Had that last round for Jones 10-9, so I’ve got him winning 48-47 overall.

Winner - Jon Jones by unanimous decision.

1-FBCD017-8391-4-A08-A01-D-C88-F56-FFD68

Yep. Two of the judges had it the same as me. One had it 49-46 which sounds a bit wide. It all comes down to how you score that third round for me and it was a close round. There were cries of robbery after this, like there always is after a close fight. But whoever got the decision here, nobody would’ve been robbed. It was that close. I felt like Jones just edged it myself but wouldn’t have been outraged if Gus got the nod. I think for some, seeing Gustafsson do so much better than expected and seeing Jones look human for the first time, they got carried away thinking Gus had won clearly. Nobody won clearly. There was very little in it. Either way it was a brilliant fight. An unexpected classic.

This picture always reminds me of Rocky and Apollo at the hospital at the start of Rocky II after their first fight...

93-FD41-FB-979-C-4-EF1-8232-ECABF27-E1-D

“Ain’t gonna be no rematch”.

Except there was going to be a rematch. It was supposed to happen in 2014 but Gus got injured and that’s when the Jones vs Cormier rivalry started. Gus got left on the sidelines. They did eventually meet again though in December 2018.

DD42C366-9680-46CE-916E-BD247D05EE8F.gif

This time it wasn’t even close. In fact, the rematch went pretty much exactly how I thought the first fight would go. Jones dominated and eventually stopped Gustafsson by TKO with ground and pound in the third round. There was a lot of talk that Jones had underestimated Gus the first time, got complacent and didn’t train properly. At the time I think people thought he was making excuses but maybe it was true. I can see why he’d have taken Gus lightly in 2013. The fact the rematch went how it did just backs that up further. Jones vs Gustafsson 1 will go down as an all-time classic though. One of the best title fights in UFC history. 

Jones and his camp did his homework for the rematch. They were able to shut Gusty's game down. 

Nonetheless, I think Jones would have always been run close by Gusty in the first fight. Gusty's gameplan that evening was spot-on and he had Jones stumped for much of the early rounds. It was only after Jones switched to southpaw in round 3 that he was able to get back into the fight and eventually eek out a decision. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think the first fight playing out how it did was a mixture of things. I think Jones’ complacency was definitely part of it. But I also think just as big a part was Gustafsson being a bit of an unknown quantity. I don’t think anyone realised he had that kind of fight in him. You can’t until a fighter is put in that position. He’d improved in the wrestling more than anyone knew (didn’t he also take DC down in their fight?), his tactics were spot on and all that combined with his size made him a way more difficult puzzle for Jones to solve than anyone expected. The size thing was the big promotional angle but it was more than that. It helped but size alone wouldn’t have gave Jones the kind of fits Gus gave him that night. I think the element of surprise was a huge part of it.