UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone - Jan 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Watched the McGregor film last night. It tells his story from turning pro up to Diaz 2. It's easy to forget what a likeable, inspirational character he was in those early days. I'm sure the film is edited to give this impression but it really comes across that he was a family man only interested in his tight, close circle. His relationship with Dee is a constant throughout the film and it's really touching at times to see how close they are.

How times change, huh. 

• Paid Members

It's a massive puff piece, pal. I was a McGregor fan when it came out and even I thought it was one big arse licking.

Be interesting to see what this week has in store because I feel zero buzz for this fight. Speaking to a few casual fans I know, they seem to be of that opinion too; a little miffed Conor has hardly created any content worth getting excited about.

• Paid Members

They've left the media to this week, Conor's sitdown is tomorrow, theres a press conference wednesday and an open workout thursday. It seems late but the MMA Roadshow (excellent podcast) suggested that thats just how the UFC does things now, the days of long drawn out marketing are gone. Fury/Wilder II is getting similar treatment in boxing, its 6 weeks out but they announced it quietly, and until recently said there would be no press conferences leading into the fight. All whilst Bob Arum is predicting it does 2 million buys. Just feels like marketing has altered to hit people hard and fast closer to the actual fight.

Everyone seems to be talking about the lack of buzz on the Conor fight though but number suggest its there. The arena itself sold out in minutes, and social media numbers are huge. A video of Conor hitting mitts for 2 minutes has over 2 million views on youtube in a day for example. I think from a hardcore fans point of view things seem quiet, but the Conor fanbase who only get interested when hes fighting are well aware that hes fighting next weekend.

Fury and Wilder will have the Superbowl and the rest of the NFL playoffs to build their fight. ESPN and Fox have been clever with their scheduling and will stick all their promotional power behind it. 2 million buys seems mental but I think it can do seven figures.

I think part of the reason the UFC will be doing this McGregor fight a bit more quietly is hoping to minimise any scrutiny about the ongoing police investigations. It'll still sell more than any non McGregor PPV but I think they'll be willing to take a hit of a few hundred thousand buys if it means they aren't having to answer questions about promoting a scumbag.

• Paid Members

Fighters predict McGregor vs Cerrone; 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_WNciUIEo

Jon Jones, Kamaru Usman, Colby Covington, Alexander Volkanovski, Max Holloway etc throwing their two penneth in. And Mike Perry sounding as painfully thick as ever. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I think part of the reason the UFC will be doing this McGregor fight a bit more quietly is hoping to minimise any scrutiny about the ongoing police investigations. It'll still sell more than any non McGregor PPV but I think they'll be willing to take a hit of a few hundred thousand buys if it means they aren't having to answer questions about promoting a scumbag.

Reebok clearly give no fucks, they've just launched Conor McGregor signature trainers.

Sherdog have published an article discussing McGregor's various misdemeanors. The sexual assault allegations are mentioned - https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/Tell-Me-No-Lies-Stories-to-Watch-in-2020-168625

McGregor and the Ever-Expanding Rap Sheet

Given Conor McGregor’s status as MMA’s most historically transcendent figure, and the fact that his last fight in October 2018 sold a record-setting 2.4 million buys on pay-per-view, his imminent return to competition next weekend should theoretically be a source of celebration. If he can get past the tough-but-beatable Donald Cerrone at UFC 246, fights across both the lightweight and welterweight divisions beckon: a trilogy bout with Nate Diaz, a crack at the BMF’er Masvidal, a grudge match against Justin Gaethje -- the list goes on. At just 31 years old and ostensibly still in his physical prime, with two of the biggest players in all of sports -- ESPN and the UFC -- having gone all-in on promoting “The Notorious” comeback tour, Conor McGregor stands before big money and blue skies. There’s just one problem with this narrative, which is currently being amplified by the sport’s powerbrokers: McGregor has spent the past 24 months in police stations and courtrooms, being charged with several criminal offences (including an assault charge for punching an old man in a Dublin pub for refusing a shot of whiskey) and -- more alarmingly – reportedly coming under investigation for two separate sexual assault allegations.

Whether or not the native combat sports media feel prepared to grapple with them, those investigations have implications for MMA at large. McGregor is by far the most recognizable figure in the sport and acts as a reference point for a large portion of the unassuming members of the public. In the same way that individual acts of corruption in politics fuels a broader antipathy with electoral democracy and public institutions, the potential conviction and presumable incarceration of the UFC’s most visible star would impact the sport’s wider reputation and likely affect the promotion’s market-value and longer-term prospects -- even if quantifying this impact isn’t an exact science. At present, these potentially calamitous consequences are merely hypothetical -- McGregor has not been charged in connection with either of the allegations and, through his agent Audi Attar, has vehemently denied any wrongdoing. However, the story of the fighter-turned-potential-rapist is unlikely to induce any more pay-per-view buys come Jan. 18, and, in the wake of the #MeToo movement, could turn off budding fans (both female and male) who will skip the fight, or even switch off from the sport, on principle.

One must also consider the cultural consequences of McGregor’s antics vis-à-vis the droves of (overwhelmingly) young males who look up to him as a role model. In the same way that McGregor’s left-hand and boundless self-confidence inspired a generation on his way up the UFC ranks, his impulsive acts of violence -- both alleged and those caught on video -- act as important markers for what impressionable fans may perceive as acceptable behaviour. To paraphrase the words of famed boxing historian Thomas Hauser, who repeatedly raised concerns about Floyd Mayweather Jr’s history of domestic violence: somewhere in Ireland or the United States tonight, a young man who thinks that McGregor is a role model will beat up or sexually assault a woman. Maybe she’ll walk away with nothing more than bruises and emotional scars. Maybe he’ll kill her.

Edited by jimufctna24