UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone - Jan 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So I've just looked on the UFC app and it looks like there is absolutely no press conference at all for this show before the event. This has to be a top contender for the worst promoted/handled ppv for the UFC ever.

They have thrown there eggs in the Conor McGregor returning basket and that's it

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kfogg1991 said:

So I've just looked on the UFC app and it looks like there is absolutely no press conference at all for this show before the event. This has to be a top contender for the worst promoted/handled ppv for the UFC ever.

They have thrown there eggs in the Conor McGregor returning basket and that's it

986F25E1-4575-465D-A436-F7704C277ABD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

There'll be all the usual fight week promotional stuff I'd imagine, with the press conference, open workouts, weigh-ins and suchlike. McG is under no obligation to do anything outwith what the company ask of him, or any other fighter for that matter.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

That is literally insanely weird I searched online and looked on the UFC app and there was nothing. No greater saying than better late than never good chance for dana and the UFC to get those last minute buys before the weekend 

It’s not even necessarily late. Most UFC PPVs don’t really have a press conference until the Wednesday or Thursday of fight week. I think usually Wednesday for the presser, Thursday open workouts, then Friday weigh in. Something like that but that’s the standard UFC fight week. 

There’ll be the Countdown and Embedded and media interviews next week. Plus this press conference. There’ll be plenty of promotion by next week. I wouldn’t be surprised if McGregor isn’t so heavily involved though. For the reasons David said before. With some of the shit going on with him at the moment, they’ll probably want to keep media access to him to a minimum and where they can control it somewhat. He’ll probably just do this press conference then the weigh in. Let’s face it, they were never doing a big media tour for this. 

It does feel like there’s a lack of buzz but I don’t know if that’s just because we’re in the bubble and we know McGregor’s recent issues and most of us are sick of him. Although nobody is talking about it at work either but that’s probably also because Cerrone isn’t anywhere near as big a fight as Conor’s last couple with Khabib and Mayweather obviously. 

End of the day it doesn’t really matter. It’s a fun fight and that’s all I’m looking at it as. 

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but what are we thinking about John Kavanagh claiming that Conor essentially puts together his own training and camps? I'm not convinced that's the best approach, but I get the feeling that McGregor can be hard to handle.

I think from the little bits we have seen from conor he looks really motivated again which is great too see. I think he definitely comes across as a fighter that really puts time and money into the right training camps to prepare the for each fight separately instead of what alot of them do which is have a general set regime. From what I've seen from him and what john has been saying I'm more excited too see if he really comes into this with the main goal of proving the point to everyone he has turned against him over the past couple of years and prove that the khabib fight was not a true to form McGregor we all know 

• Paid Members

@David Yeah I think it’s been that way for a while. He does his own thing. It’s one of the things Paulie Malignaggi was saying about when he was part of McGregor’s camp for the Mayweather fight. That Conor would change his mind on a whim all the time about training. He’d have his sparring partners all waiting for a text or call to say come to the gym, then they’d get there and Conor had changed his mind, wasn’t going to spar and would just hit the bags or do cardio or whatever.

I know it’s Paulie but this was before he became really unbearable with the Conor stuff. He’d just left the camp and it sounded like total chaos. It sounds like the stories you’d hear about Mike Tyson’s training camps when his career was losing direction. 

It’s the way it seems to always go though. When a fighter becomes a big star, I guess they don’t feel like taking orders anymore, even during training camps. Mike Tyson, Brock Lesnar, Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor. 

It’s why, as much as I can’t stand the man, you’ve got to respect what Floyd Mayweather did in his career. He was his own boss and insanely rich yet he still somehow didn’t lose his edge and continued to put the time in and absolutely worked his arse off in the gym. To put that kind of work in when you don’t have to takes a different breed. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I think from the little bits we have seen from conor he looks really motivated again which is great too see. I think he definitely comes across as a fighter that really puts time and money into the right training camps to prepare the for each fight separately instead of what alot of them do which is have a general set regime. From what I've seen from him and what john has been saying I'm more excited too see if he really comes into this with the main goal of proving the point to everyone he has turned against him over the past couple of years and prove that the khabib fight was not a true to form McGregor we all know 

Most people have turned against him because he’s proven to be a horrible cunt though. I don’t care if he puts in his career best performance against Cerrone. That doesn’t undo all the bad things he’s done over the last couple of years or so. 

People always say he looks great and motivated going into fights. They said it before the Khabib fight too. Then after he lost, all the excuses came out about why he wasn’t the real Conor. I even remember people saying Floyd looked scared of Conor at the weigh in. He always looks the same to me. He’s a skilled fighter but his pre-fight schtick is all based on mind games and intimidation tactics. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t. 

And Conor gets crushed against Khabib again and again. People need to just accept it. Of course Kavanagh and McGregor are going to spin it. But that fight is all wrong for Conor, and it always was. For some reason, people try to twist that as ‘being a hater and not giving Conor credit’ but it’s bollocks. As much as I dislike the bastard, I can admit he’s a great fighter. I’m favouring him against Cerrone here, I think he could beat Gaethje, I’d even give him a shot at catching Ferguson. But Khabib is a fucking stylistic nightmare for Conor and it’s the way it’s always going to be. This ‘wasn’t the real Conor’ thing can eat my dick.

Even if Conor blasts Cerrone away in 30 seconds, how would that prove he wasn’t ‘true to form’ against Khabib anyway? Cerrone and Khabib are completely different matchups. Cerrone is kind of tailor made for Conor, IMO. It’s only his lay-off and the fight being at 170 giving me doubt. Him beating Cowboy tells us nothing about him and Khabib. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Almost as interesting as the fight itself is how you even do a Conor McGregor press conference in 2020. I can’t fathom how he can be anywhere near as cocky or brash with the promo ammo he’s given his opponents. Admittedly, Cowboy is probably too classy to throw shit at him, but fucking hell. How can you even insult your opponent when you've spent the last year coked out of your mind, punching pensioners, fighting paternity tests and being investigated for multiple sexual assaults?  

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

How can you even insult your opponent when you've spent the last year coked out of your mind, punching pensioners, fighting paternity tests and being investigated for multiple sexual assaults? 

I’d imagine the “Khabib is scared of him!” cretins are quite happy to dismiss such behaviour. If this is a public press conference, he’s getting cheered by the majority regardless.

• Moderators
On 1/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Egg Shen said:

Reebok have outdone themselves with the official Conor McGregor walkout shirt for 246:

😧

That looks like the kind of embarrassing shit that WWE puts out. Does it say "RED PANTIES NIGHT" in large letters on the back?