UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone - Jan 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 minutes ago, David said:

I think McG will be doing minimal to no media for this event in all honesty, and with good reason. We know the kind of questions he's going to get, and I don't think Dana or the UFC want those questions aired at the moment. 

He'll probably do the weigh-ins and shit like that, but don't be surprised if he goes down the Rousey vs Nunes path for media obligations.

How detrimental do we think that'll end up being to the buy-rate? 

I'm not sure how much the Khabib loss will impact his drawing power. It's hardly like he's responded to it in a great manner, where he's come out swinging. Considering he's their biggest ever star, it really doesn't feel like anything resembling a big deal. Not sure if I'm just living in my echo chamber, but I'm not seeing anything productive from any party to try and get people to part with their money for this.

How much is it on BT Box Office anyway? No chance I'm forking out, but it'll be interesting if they ramp the price up because of the attachment to Conor's name.

• Paid Members

I think the first couple of UFCs on Box Office (the Jones vs Santos and Khabib vs Poirier PPVs) were £20. But it wouldn’t shock me if they tried to squeeze £25 out of people because it’s Conor McGregor. Like how Sky did with Ruiz vs Joshua 2. I think that’d be silly, they probably won’t do it, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Ruiz-AJ was a huge fight. McGregor vs Cerrone should be big but it’s not on that kind of level obviously. I don’t think it’d make much sense bumping the price up for a show consisting of McGregor-Cowboy and a lacklustre undercard. Greed usually overrides sense though. 

19 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

I'm not sure how much the Khabib loss will impact his drawing power. It's hardly like he's responded to it in a great manner, where he's come out swinging. Considering he's their biggest ever star, it really doesn't feel like anything resembling a big deal. Not sure if I'm just living in my echo chamber, but I'm not seeing anything productive from any party to try and get people to part with their money for this.

How much is it on BT Box Office anyway? No chance I'm forking out, but it'll be interesting if they ramp the price up because of the attachment to Conor's name.

Its 15 quid sky box office. I get what everyone is saying and its funny how you guys are saying your completely disengaged and not excited at all for it and I was having the exact same conversation with my mate last night. I feel the entire length of last year had me desperate for Conor to come back and for me too see my favourite fighter back at it again but honestly after everything he has done and said and the obvious fact that he really doesn't care at all about his army of fans and supporters at all he has become famous and bigger than the UFC now and he didn't care at all about letting everyone know that so I've found myself having to move on.

With fighters like masvidal having the absolutely career changing year he has had I don't agree at all with the UFC on this one thinking this needs no promotion or hype at all like any other show I think if anything it needed more than anything for Conor to try and win people around again and try and grovel and do what he does to convince us all he does care 

57 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Without meaning to sound like a JUST WANNA SEE THEM THROW DOWN BRO, I couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about the buyrate, I would rather just view the participants engage each other, sibling.

Obviously a very controlled environment for that interview, with questions that he was happy to answer, but the difference in his appearance, mannerisms and how he's talking from pre-Khabib is night and day. 

He looks healthier, sharper, less manic and more on his game as far as appearance goes. Be interesting to see where he goes if he beats Cerrone (which I think he does). Gaethje? That works for me. 

He's talking about Usman, Covington and Khabib though, which won't end well for him in my opinion. He wins none of those for me.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Lad can still talk a good game. He says all the right things and sounds sharp and motivated, so I’m definitely interested in what happens. I wouldn’t go as far as to say excited though, and I certainly won’t be fucking paying for it on top of the BT Sport subscription. Talking about fighting Usman though?! After his last performance against Covington? Fucking hell. Cocaine is a hell of a drug. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Without meaning to sound like a JUST WANNA SEE THEM THROW DOWN BRO, I couldn't give a tuppenny fuck about the buyrate, I would rather just view the participants engage each other, sibling.

Oh no, it's not something I'm arsed about at all, because it's not something that's ever going to impact me, but for instance I know that we're all going to be tuning in regardless because we're fans of the sport, and it's a big fight. I think on the other hand it would be interesting to see how his recent allegations/fight performances/interviews have influenced the more casual section of fans, and if they're still tempted to hand away their money on the basis of "it's McGregor" alone, which is pretty much all this card is, with no disrespect to Cerrone.

The Khabib fight had the background and title implications, Alvarez was potentially history-making going in, Diaz was the huge rematch. This is the first time in a while that they're trying to sell us a fight based on Conor's name and that alone.

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

Buyrates are just a fun little side discussion. I'm also interested to see how well this does and if Conor still has the same pulling power after getting battered by Khabib and the battering his image has taken over the last year or two.

Anyway, I think sadly gone are the days when Conor would be seemingly everywhere to promote a fight. IIRC, he (or someone in his team) said during the Khabib build up that he's come to an agreement with the UFC that he will only do the bare minimum. Apparently Conor and his team hated the press tours he used to do, with Conor feeling pressure to deliver, as well as all that time and effort taking away from his fighting prep.

In a funny way, him keeping a low-profile, serious approach is probably for the best here. If and when he puts a win or two in the column he can start coming back with the brash persona. It's not an easy sell when you've been smacked about and tapped in your last outing.