UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone - Jan 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I honestly think more was made of that third round in the Khabib fight than necessary. I think McGregor probably nicked it but it wasn’t anything that would suggest he’d got Khabib worried or in any kind of danger. If anything I thought it was more a case of Khabib taking the round off than McGregor forcing him on the retreat. Wasn’t the second round the big round where Khabib almost knocked McGregor down with that punch and then battered him on the ground? I might be getting the rounds mixed up but I’m sure the second was the one where Khabib just ground and pounded him for ages. I thought the third round was him kind of taking his foot off the gas because he’d used so much energy in the previous round. Then we saw what happened in the fourth. 

McGregor is a tremendous fighter. I can’t take that away from him. I don’t even think his ground game is quite as bad as some make out. He’s just not at the level there of the top guys at 155 like Khabib and Ferguson and especially not at 170. The likes of Usman, Woodley, Covington etc are a nightmare for him. In simple terms, the top of 170 is full of bigger versions of Khabib with better striking. And in the case of Usman and Covington in particular, ridiculous stamina and pace. But McGregor has the skills on the feet to beat a lot of good fighters. He’s basically a modern day Mirko Cro Cop to me. In fighting terms only, obviously. He’s a bit of a one trick pony but he’s exceptional at that one trick. He doesn’t have the natural sprawling and takedown defence abilities of a prime Cro Cop but then again there wasn’t a wrestler quite like Khabib in the Heavyweight division when our Mirko was busting heads in Pride either. You had Randleman and Coleman but they were more brute strength guys whereas Khabib’s style is just relentless and suffocating. Plus Coleman was 95 even back then. 

The thing that gets me though, and this isn’t aimed at anyone on here, but when you say Khabib is a terrible fight for McGregor and that McGregor would be lucky to win once or twice if they fought 10 times. You nearly always get some twat going ‘You’re just a hater. When will Conor get some credit? You can never count Conor out’ etc. Well;

1) I am a hater. What of it? I’m not particularly fond of people who smack old blokes in pubs, call a Muslim woman “a towel” and keep getting themself caught up in sexual assault accusations. If being a ‘hater’ of someone like that is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

2) Conor gets plenty, fucking plenty, of credit. To the point some lunatics even thought he’d beat Floyd Mayweather in a professional boxing match, for Christ’s sake! Even me - ‘the hater’, I’ve always given him credit as a fighter. I picked him to beat Cerrone. I’d pick him against Gaethje. I’d even give him a decent shot against Masvidal, Diaz again or Ferguson. I probably wouldn’t pick him to win all of them but I certainly wouldn’t write him off. They’re all winnable fights with guys who will stand with McGregor enough to where he can play to his strengths. Khabib is the one man in the 155 division who I just think smokes McGregor pretty much every time. If they fought 100 times, I genuinely doubt McGregor even hits double figures in the win column. And it’s the style. Khabib is just all wrong for McGregor. Maybe someone is all wrong for Khabib. It’s why I’m fascinated by the Ferguson fight because, on paper at least, Ferguson might just have the game to give Khabib fits. We’ll see (hopefully, fingers crossed) in April. But to some, it seems if you don’t predict Conor to just walk through every single opponent then you’re not giving him credit. Get fucked. 

3) ‘You can’t count McGregor out’. No. You can. The whole world should’ve counted him out against Mayweather. There’s more chance of my hairline coming back than McGregor had of winning that one. There’s this misconception that Conor has continually defied the odds. But who has he beat that was a huge upset? Even the Aldo fight, I clearly remember as many people picking McGregor going in as they were Aldo. If not more. It wasn’t that he beat Aldo that was all that shocking. It was how it happened in 13 seconds. He’s never won a fight that I thought he couldn’t. So this ‘you can’t count him out’ thing doesn’t fly with me. You can count him out of certain fights just like anyone else. He’s not immune to bad style matchups. And if he’s serious about staying at 170, we’ll see more evidence of that soon enough. 

12 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The thing that gets me though, and this isn’t aimed at anyone on here, but when you say Khabib is a terrible fight for McGregor and that McGregor would be lucky to win once or twice if they fought 10 times. You nearly always get some twat going ‘You’re just a hater.

You are a hater. 

#MacLife

#McGregorisinoccent

#McGregorwinstherematch

Edited by jimufctna24

16 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I honestly think more was made of that third round in the Khabib fight than necessary. I think McGregor probably nicked it but it wasn’t anything that would suggest he’d got Khabib worried or in any kind of danger. If anything I thought it was more a case of Khabib taking the round off than McGregor forcing him on the retreat. Wasn’t the second round the big round where Khabib almost knocked McGregor down with that punch and then battered him on the ground? I might be getting the rounds mixed up but I’m sure the second was the one where Khabib just ground and pounded him for ages. I thought the third round was him kind of taking his foot off the gas because he’d used so much energy in the previous round. Then we saw what happened in the fourth. 

McGregor is a tremendous fighter. I can’t take that away from him. I don’t even think his ground game is quite as bad as some make out. He’s just not at the level there of the top guys at 155 like Khabib and Ferguson and especially not at 170. The likes of Usman, Woodley, Covington etc are a nightmare for him. In simple terms, the top of 170 is full of bigger versions of Khabib with better striking. And in the case of Usman and Covington in particular, ridiculous stamina and pace. But McGregor has the skills on the feet to beat a lot of good fighters. He’s basically a modern day Mirko Cro Cop to me. In fighting terms only, obviously. He’s a bit of a one trick pony but he’s exceptional at that one trick. He doesn’t have the natural sprawling and takedown defence abilities of a prime Cro Cop but then again there wasn’t a wrestler quite like Khabib in the Heavyweight division when our Mirko was busting heads in Pride either. You had Randleman and Coleman but they were more brute strength guys whereas Khabib’s style is just relentless and suffocating. Plus Coleman was 95 even back then. 

The thing that gets me though, and this isn’t aimed at anyone on here, but when you say Khabib is a terrible fight for McGregor and that McGregor would be lucky to win once or twice if they fought 10 times. You nearly always get some twat going ‘You’re just a hater. When will Conor get some credit? You can never count Conor out’ etc. Well;

1) I am a hater. What of it? I’m not particularly fond of people who smack old blokes in pubs, call a Muslim woman “a towel” and keep getting themself caught up in sexual assault accusations. If being a ‘hater’ of someone like that is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

2) Conor gets plenty, fucking plenty, of credit. To the point some lunatics even thought he’d beat Floyd Mayweather in a professional boxing match, for Christ’s sake! Even me - ‘the hater’, I’ve always given him credit as a fighter. I picked him to beat Cerrone. I’d pick him against Gaethje. I’d even give him a decent shot against Masvidal, Diaz again or Ferguson. I probably wouldn’t pick him to win all of them but I certainly wouldn’t write him off. They’re all winnable fights with guys who will stand with McGregor enough to where he can play to his strengths. Khabib is the one man in the 155 division who I just think smokes McGregor pretty much every time. If they fought 100 times, I genuinely doubt McGregor even hits double figures in the win column. And it’s the style. Khabib is just all wrong for McGregor. Maybe someone is all wrong for Khabib. It’s why I’m fascinated by the Ferguson fight because, on paper at least, Ferguson might just have the game to give Khabib fits. We’ll see (hopefully, fingers crossed) in April. But to some, it seems if you don’t predict Conor to just walk through every single opponent then you’re not giving him credit. Get fucked. 

3) ‘You can’t count McGregor out’. No. You can. The whole world should’ve counted him out against Mayweather. There’s more chance of my hairline coming back than McGregor had of winning that one. There’s this misconception that Conor has continually defied the odds. But who has he beat that was a huge upset? Even the Aldo fight, I clearly remember as many people picking McGregor going in as they were Aldo. If not more. It wasn’t that he beat Aldo that was all that shocking. It was how it happened in 13 seconds. He’s never won a fight that I thought he couldn’t. So this ‘you can’t count him out’ thing doesn’t fly with me. You can count him out of certain fights just like anyone else. He’s not immune to bad style matchups. And if he’s serious about staying at 170, we’ll see more evidence of that soon enough. 

Great minds my friend, great minds 😉

• Paid Members

yep, that was me.

Ive only got to see the fights today as ive had a lousy few days back and fore the hospital with eye problems, couldnt even see the TV😔

That was a ridiculous return from Conor though, it couldnt have gone any better really to re-establish his name in the game. Come out unscathed, left Cowboy a bloody mess in 40 seconds and did it in unconventional yet spectacular fashion. Despite Dave thinking it, im no Conor fanboy, but that was impressive.

To say he's not an elite MMA fighter ecause he's not beaten a few mid-level grinders on his way up is ridiculous though Dave, fuck me.

Did anyone else think much of the rest of the card? i enjoyed it all up until Holm/Pennington sucked the life out of me. 

Roxanne Modafferi was the MVP for me. I feared for her safety going in, that was unreal. How does she not get a bonus award? i know there wasnt a finish, but she dominated a fight as a 12/1 underdog. Surely that's worthy of 50g's. Maycee Barber deserves one for gutting it out too.

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

To say he's not an elite MMA fighter ecause he's not beaten a few mid-level grinders on his way up is ridiculous though Dave, fuck me.

I'll consider him elite when he puts some wins together against elite competition. Aside from Aldo he hasn't beaten anyone of that ilk. He's a two-time champion who has never defended a title. Again, he's very good until he proves otherwise, and beating Cowboy Cerrone doesn't change that.

• Paid Members

i don't disagree about not defending titles.

His record is very solid though, not to mention that he has put away very good fighters with relative ease. Just stopping two UFC champions in title fights puts him up there. Bouncing between divisions and boxing has prevented him from putting together a Max Holloway type run, but thats a luxury he's earned, he didnt have to go the traditional route.

46 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

i don't disagree about not defending titles.

His record is very solid though, not to mention that he has put away very good fighters with relative ease. Just stopping two UFC champions in title fights puts him up there. Bouncing between divisions and boxing has prevented him from putting together a Max Holloway type run, but thats a luxury he's earned, he didnt have to go the traditional route.

Yeah, his record is solid. And he's beaten very good fighters. He's very good. Just not elite.

12 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

who would you list as elite?

As far as active fighters today are concerned? Khabib, Jon Jones, Mighty Mouse, as much as I despise his hair I'd throw Cejudo in there, Amanda Nunes, Adesanya if he beats Romero, Kamaru Usman.

You think McGregor belongs among that group?