UFC 246: McGregor vs Cerrone - Jan 18 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, FUM said:

Behind all the nonsense, that is one mightily impressive MMA fighter. 

He's very good, especially when he's matched well against someone who's style fits with his. It's nights like last night that make me wonder why both he and the UFC seem hellbent on pursuing fights that are not good matches for him. It makes no sense. He's popular enough without a title belt around his waist.

A Masvidal fight would be the smart move next, surely? If they decide to pursue the Khabib rematch it doesn't really matter how good he looked against Cerrone, because he's likely going to get dealt with reasonably easily again. 

• Paid Members

You knew it was coming. Dana at the press conference arguing the case for Khabib vs Conor 2 and making excuses for why Conor “wasn’t 100% right” in the first fight. 

Seriously fuck off. Just fuck off with that.

Is he actually going to change directions now and scrap Khabib vs Ferguson in favour of this pile of old wank? Because that’s what it sounded like to me. So we could have Khabib vs Ferguson and McGregor vs Masvidal or Gaethje. But instead of that, we’re probably going to end up getting a rematch of an extended squash match that isn’t that interesting, will no doubt be full of religion and rape talk in the build up and likely another ugly mass brawl post-fight. Just so Dana and his pals can get even more rich. Smashing. 

And I know the ‘business reasons’ before anyone flogs that long dead horse that everyone’s already seen the maggots on. Doesn’t make it any less shit though. But “global appeal” apparently.

3C52D965-12C4-4095-85E3-04F0E9C53B85.gif

Honest. 

14 hours ago, FUM said:

Behind all the nonsense, that is one mightily impressive MMA fighter. 

He's one of the best strikers MMA has ever seen. You don't walk through the likes of Aldo, Alvarez, Cerrone, etc, without being something a bit special on the feet. 

If I had been in a coma for 3 years and woke up just in time to see this fight, without any knowledge of McGregor's numerous transgressions, I would have been buzzing after that performance. Instead, I feel a lot of regret. I absolutely adore him as a fighter. As a rule, I prefer strikers to grapplers in modern MMA, and McGregor, in addition to being skilled in both kicking and countering, is never in a dull fight.  Yet, I can't support the cunt, because well, he's a cunt.

Who is next for him? I can see him being matched with anyone out of Khabib, Masvidal, Gaethje or Diaz. I also think Tony Ferguson is in the frame. If Ferguson can upset Khabib then I am sure the UFC would be very tempted to match him against Conor. 

Time will tell. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

He's very good, especially when he's matched well against someone who's style fits with his. It's nights like last night that make me wonder why both he and the UFC seem hellbent on pursuing fights that are not good matches for him. It makes no sense. He's popular enough without a title belt around his waist.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Undeniably, that was an impressive performance. Bit gutted it wasn't much of a scrap, but McGregor has a tendency to wow when he's in this sort of form.

• Paid Members

Are Holm and Pennington still fighting? Jesus. If ever a fight was as uninteresting in practice, as it was on paper, this was it. 

Anthony Pettis is 9-9 in the UFC. Maybe book him and Cerrone and let one of them get well after this?

McGregor really blew Cerrone away. Absolutely blitzed him. I heard Phil Chertok and John Pollock discussing putting McGregor Vs Poirier on the same show or within the same month as Khabib Vs Ferguson in order to act as a backup to the possible title fight drop out. It looks like Dana might cancel the Khabib Vs Ferguson fight though in favour of Khabib/McGregor II. Bollocks to that. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Anthony Pettis is 9-9 in the UFC. Maybe book him and Cerrone and let one of them get well after this?

There were actually talks about doing Pettis vs Cerrone 2 and, according to Duke Roufus, both men agreed to it. But obviously then this McGregor thing came together and the idea got shelved. I wouldn’t mind seeing it. 

I think Dana is expecting Khabib to beat Ferguson. Hence his assumption that the McGregor/Khabib rematch will be on the table in a few months time. 

I don't think the UFC will scrap Khabib vs Ferguson. It's seemingly set in stone for April. The only way McGregor jumps Ferguson in the queue is if the latter gets injured. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I think Dana is expecting Khabib to beat Ferguson. Hence his assumption that the McGregor/Khabib rematch will be on the table in a few months time. 

I don't think the UFC will scrap Khabib vs Ferguson. It's seemingly set in stone for April. The only way McGregor jumps Ferguson in the queue is if the latter gets injured. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen. 

I hope you're right Jim, I really do. In that case, out of the likely possibilities, hopefully T-Ferg beats Khabib. He can then defend against McGregor if Dana is determined Conor gets a LW title fight. The winner of Ferguson Vs McGregor could re-match Khabib. Out of all the options that are likely to be pursued in the next year I think that could be the most interesting set of match ups (McGregor vs Khabib isn't interesting but It might hold more worth if McGregor held the belt by beating Tony, rather than just a straight up re-match against champion Khabib).

It leaves no room for Justin Gaethje, unfortunately, but I don't think he's likely to get a look in until maybe next year. He'll probably get the loser of Tony/Nurmagomedov and Poirier as his fights this year I think. 

4 hours ago, WeeAl said:

It looks like Dana might cancel the Khabib Vs Ferguson fight though in favour of Khabib/McGregor II. Bollocks to that. 

Surely he wouldn’t actually do this, would he? It’s one thing going back on his word that “this fight is definitely happening next”, but Khabib vs Ferguson is official.

Is there precedent for Dana cancelling an announced fight because he just prefers a different opponent?

• Paid Members

I can see them aiming to set up Conor v Khabib/Fergsuon in the winter. Can't blame the UFC for wanting it either, as it's such an outlier in terms of money.

I'd be interested in it, in truth. Not only is it such an undeniable big fight atmosphere, but I'm genuinely intrigued to see if Conor can come up with something to keep Khabib from running him over. Failing that, Tony v Conor is such a fun scrap.