Things you are convinced that happened, but didn't

The King of Old School

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

Bare with me on this...  But I'm sure The Ultimate Warror once did a shootstar press as a kid... 

Did he ever do anything from the top rope? I don’t remember seeing a shooting star press until 97/8 kind of time with the Nitro cruiserweights. But I was pretty much not watching wrestling at that point, so maybe someone did one earlier

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t remember seeing a shooting star press until 97/8 kind of time with the Nitro cruiserweights. But I was pretty much not watching wrestling at that point, so maybe someone did one earlier

Marc mero used to do one in 96 / 97 but I'd be interested to know who was the first to do one on mainstream US TV / PPV. 

• Paid Members
On 12/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, Pinc said:

I remember a hardcore match between Test and Big Boss Man from early 2000 where one of them lowers a garage door on to the throat of the other, but I haven’t seen any evidence it actually happened.

I remember this but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Big Bossman. I think it was either Crash or Steve Blackman. 

9 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Marc mero used to do one in 96 / 97 but I'd be interested to know who was the first to do one on mainstream US TV / PPV. 

I was going to suggest Mero. Did he ever try an SSP in WCW, when he was tassle up to the nines as Johnny B Badd? That would explain confusing it with the Woyah.

• Paid Members

Liger would likely have been the first Shooting Star Press on US TV, if he was doing it in WCW in 1991. He invented the move before he was Jushin Liger, so it was already in his repertoire, and I'd be surprised if he didn't use it in WCW.

The only other thing I can think of that might come close, and maybe be enough to create a false memory of Warrior doing it if you're squinting through the mists of time, would be Tom Magee effectively doing one as a flashy entrance;

MFBbKnA.gif

Though that would require having seen one of the very few Magee TV matches.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Another weird one; I think the first person to perform a shooting star press on a WWF PPV was Shane McMahon (vs Kurt Angle at KOTR '01). He's definitely the first person to perform a Van Terminator on WWF PPV.

I'm pretty sure he also hit the Van Daminator before RVD came to the WWF as well!

Though he's not the first person to have hit a Shooting Star - Marc Mero hit it on an In Your House PPV at least once.

• Paid Members
Just now, BomberPat said:

I'm pretty sure he also hit the Van Daminator before RVD came to the WWF as well!

Though he's not the first person to have hit a Shooting Star - Marc Mero hit it on an In Your House PPV at least once.

I even read the thread before hand, and I still forgot about that Marc Mero used the SSP as his finisher. That's how forgettable he is. You are definitely right then in that case, so Shane McMahon's SSP was probably the first one on WWF PPV in the three years since Mero's departure (a less impressive stat).

• Paid Members
On 12/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, simonworden said:

I was convinced for years that Owen Hart had been in WCW in 98-99, I vividly recall seeing him in photos of WCW Thunder the game in a PS1 magazine, it was the character selection screen where they said something to you as you scrolled over them. Clearly I imagined it but was convinced for years that it happened.

In a similar vein around 2001 I remember seeing in the list of former WWF champions on WWF.com Scott Steiner's name and a photo of him holding the belt on a backstage interview stage. 

There's also the ghost episode of Nitro or a WCW PPV which I am sure was from 2000 that aired mid afternoon on a Saturday on ITV. I only saw the end where they recapped Hogan getting beat down and then coming in for the save at the end of the show. We didn't have sky so it was definitely ITV but there's no record of that ever occurring so I assume it was only show in the Meridian region for some inexplicable reason.

Owen was in WCW very briefly at that time.  He had a match that was shown on Worldwide Wrestling.