WWE HOF 2020

Mat

Bit earlier than usual this, but guess it coincides with the tickets going on sale this week (I think).

Batista and the original lineup of nWo (and X PAC) just been announced for this year.

Who else going in ya reckon?

Edited by Mat
X pac

The apparent reluctance to just give X-Pac the solo nod is bizarre. I can't see any other reason why they'd chuck him in with the nWo, considering he was just a bit player and is associated with it more through being pals with Nash and Hall than anything he done on WCW television back in the day. Everybody knows that classic nWo Cool is just the original trio. Put some balls into a proper X-Pac induction. The guy more than deserves it. At this point he'll be chucked in with Prince Albert and Justin Credible too before they ever get to it. 

• Paid Members

Waltman going in two years running, as part of a group each time, sucks. No one considers Waltman synonymous with the nWo the way Nash, Hall and Hogan are, and they can't make the "original line-up" argument (though that's how they're reporting it, it seems) because then they'd have to put in Giant, DiBiase and nWo Sting before him!

I'd have made the same argument for inducting DX - the New Age Outlaws and Waltman could easily justify solo inductions. It's so clear that they're just desperate for "main event" headliners to sell tickets and get press, even if it means reinducting the Hogans and Michaelses of the world. Mad when they've got Batista in and he's presumably far more likely to garner mainstream attention than Hulk Hogan these days.

Waltman's an absolutely deserving solo inductee - two distinct influential runs, as 1-2-3 Kid and as X-Pac, with a ton of great work in and around that too, and underrated in terms of his influence on faster-paced, smaller guys being seen as viable stars. 

• Paid Members

The HOF is a load of nonsense so it's not worth bothering much about but if it was legit, the whole putting people in twice thing would be ridiculous. What's the point of it anyway? Does it really need false headline acts to sell tickets? Batista is a draw on his own. As mentioned, X-Pac is well worthy too. Isn't Christian still waiting too?

You can get your stars on the show by having Trips induct Big Dave, Nash and Hall induct X-Pac and Edge induct Christian for starters.

Going down the "It's meaningless anyway, go nuts" route, I'm trying to think of real toe the line entries that'd still be in with a fair shout somewhere down the road. For all his idiocy, a part of me can easily hear the inevitable induction package in my head:  "This harbinger of Attitude continues to divide fans the world over, but one thing is for sure, we can never forget the name Vince Russo." 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Supremo said:

In the Twitter replies to WWE announcing this there's a bewildering amount of people campaigning for Christian to be inducted.

If that isn't a testament to how few top stars they've got left to induct I don't know what is.

There is an enormous class of people who think Christian was a huge star. 

He falls into that hinterland of guys who came about post-2002 (or thereabouts), and before the rise of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk, or before John Cena as a fully established top flight guy, who never really felt like stars to me, and then had that period of people thinking he was the most underused guy on the roster before he jumped to TNA which, even at the time, I never really got. But he was hovering around the main event scene in 2003-2005, so there's probably people around now who grew up with that as their formative experience of wrestling and look back fondly on it.

• Paid Members

I think Christian is the most obvious modern one who isn't in already. He was part of the attitude era in some form, a part of their big year in 2000, held tons of belts at all levels including a couple World Titles. Considering how quick they are to put certain guys in, he's unlucky not to be in already.

TNA Christian had a smack of settling for being the big fish in a small pond, but right before he left there was serious momentum behind him being a crowd favourite. I remember watching the Vengeance triple threat that year with Chris Jericho and Cena, and Christian was by far the most over guy with the live audience. It was probably one of my first experiences of "no this is who we like, thank you very much." I remember Powerslam articles around the time Cena started to take heat that would go along the lines of "unless they change things up - and fast - John will likely be looking back on his career and wondering why he couldn't quite be up there with Christian and Carlito Caribbean Cool."

Edited by Gay as FOOK