Sign in to follow this  
Egg Shen

Ortiz vs. Del Rio - Combate Americas (Dec 7th)

does this deserve its own thread? probably not, but fuck it. Maybe the lack of UFC the past two weeks has gone me pining for some MMA? no matter how weird. Plus, im sitting about waiting to goto work...

So anyway, here's my crap impression of a wand. preview:

CA_TvsA_WEB_600X700-1.jpg

Full fight card here:

https://www.combateamericas.com/events/combate-americas-tito-vs-alberto

Ortiz/Del Rio then. An odd piece of matchmaking but one clearly aimed at getting some different eyes on Combate Americas who have recently debuted on US TV. 

The fight itself is weird one. Ortiz, despite becoming a bit of a laughing stock has gone a decent 4-1 since leaving the UFC, the fights range from embarrasing (Liddell), terrible (Bonnar) to actually pretty impressive (Shlemenko, Sonnen), not discounting the one loss to Liam McGeary in a Bellator title fight in which Ortiz was actually doing alright until getting caught in a triangle. Ortiz' current in-ring form is admirable, its what he does outside of it which makes him the butt of the joke. Numerous retirements and comebacks later just this week a 44 year old Ortiz is claiming he can beat Jon Jones, you just have to roll your eyes at it.

061_Chuck_Liddell_vs_Tito_Ortiz.0.jpg

Del Rio on the other hand is a complete question mark at this stage. The first time I ever became aware of Del Rio (then known as Dos Caras Jr.) was when he was nearly scalped fighting a prime Mirko CroCop in Japan 16 years ago, Del Rio fighting under his Pro Wrestling name and wearing a modified Lucha mask. To many MMA fans that spelled the end of Del Rio's MMA career but he actually went 6-2 over the following 7 years and fought his last fight in 2010 just 4 months before debuting in the WWE. 

tumblr_n8s12dOWoW1s0p4f9o1_1280.png

On paper in their physical primes it would have been a pretty intriguing fight. Ortiz, a solid amateur wrestler who used brute strength along with an ability to keep fights where he wanted hem against Del Rio, a Pan American medallist in Greco Roman wrestling. Del Rio's wrestling career happening around the same time that Ortiz was dominating in the UFC. Del Rio debuted in MMA 4 years later that Ortiz in 2001 alongside his start in Pro Wrestling 

hjkJPG-JS529043138.jpg

Who actually wins? you still have to side with Ortiz massively, mainly down to the experience and the fact that Del Rio has been out of the cage/ring for 9 years. Still, he's dealing with a way past his prime Ortiz who seems to be riding a wave of renewed self belief since knocking out a decrepid Chuck Liddell last time out. There's also the fear that Del Rio is simply doing this to help promote the company he has some kind of ownerships stake in, still i dont think hes the kind of guy who would half arse an MMA fight on this kind of stage.

Im kind of interested, and Combate seems to be a decent home for it. The undercard is unfamiliar to me but week after week these smaller MMA shows deliver viral clips that tell you that maybe we should be paying attention, they also seem to be cornering certain markets and thriving in doing so. Comabte obviously leaning heavily on South American fighters.

Errr, so there it is. There's alot of promotional type videos floating about, ill add some to the thread through the week.

Edited by Egg Shen

There’s something a bit depressing about this for me. Not as bad as Tito vs Chuck 3 but it’s still proper shite. That said, I’d have actually probably ended up watching it if it wasn’t on the same night as Ruiz vs Joshua 2 and UFC Washington. It doesn’t help that there’s no babyface. The phrase ‘human cockfighting’ should be reserved for a fight like this because they’re a right pair of dicks.

I’m hoping for a double knockout. 

E62EA5C5-A353-4678-942F-DD0206723166.gif

2 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I do appreciate EBB's love for crap MMA. 

I cant help myself Jim.

I love crap wrestling too, id much rather watch a dozen Warlord squash matches in a row than a single Kenny Omega 7 star classic.

15 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

id much rather watch a dozen Warlord squash matches in a row than a single Kenny Omega 7 star classic.

Who wouldn't?

https://youtu.be/H7c9pxAyWkM

Ortiz/Del Rio did a face off of sorts for SB Nation. £1 budget on offer but that thing is barmy, Ortiz turns it into a political argument half way through with the kind of knuckleheaded approach you'd expect, the guy is mental. If anything though it proves that Del Rio is up for it, guy seems fired up.

Edited by Egg Shen

Didn't Del Rio break one opponent's arm with an amateur-style German suplex in one of his matches, as Dos Caras? I think I remember seeing a clip of that.

and if anyone missed it, come Sunday morning, Tito Ortiz may be parading himself around as the WWE Champ. Both guys have put up belts they own (UFC/WWE) for the winner to claim.